Author Topic: Biscuits from Scratch  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Biscuits from Scratch
« on: April 17, 2020, 03:16:24 PM »
Biscuits

For 12 inch shallow dutch or 12 inch skillet

2 cups flour
2-4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Or

2 cups self-rising flour

1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of sugar (optional)
3 tablespoons of lard or 4 tablespoons of butter
¾ cup of milk (more or less)
½ teaspoon vinegar ( any kind)

Mix the dry ingredients and cut in the butter/lard, add vinegar then the milk and stir with hand, just enough to mix well adding a bit more milk or flour to get slightly sticky soft dough. (If using canned milk and the can is empty, just add a bit more water.) Working it beyond what is needed with toughen the final product, stir as much as possible.

In fact the vinegar is not there for taste, it won't be noticed, it's to keep the gluten from forming long strands that toughen the biscuit, same thing is often done with pie crust.
Cut Biscuits: Roll the dough or flatten with your hands to between ½ inch and 1 inch thick, cut the desired size with either a biscuit cutter or an empty can. Place on the bottom of the oven and bake 10-15 minutes or till golden brown.

Cathead Biscuits: A common old west term for a biscuit formed with the hand instead of rolled and cut, often bigger and thicker than a cut one, hence the term, depending on the size, these will need to bake longer than the smaller cut biscuits.

Drop Biscuits: Use the above recipe but increase the milk to 1 cup and using a tablespoon, fill it to heaping with the softer dough and drop them in the bottom of the oven and bake as above, these also tend to be thicker and need a little extra baking time over a thinner cut biscuit.

We are now ready to bake this, have the dutch oven one plans on using ready and very lightly greased or at least make sure it’s well seasoned. (A 12 inch cast iron frying pan will work in the home kitchen. When using the oven at home, preheat to 425-450.) When baking with a dutch oven outside the question is if to preheat or not before baking. I seldom do, for one it’s an extra step and I like to keep it simple because I’m often running several ovens at once, also with coals and the iron it comes up to temperature in about the same time as putting a non preheated cooking vessel in a preheated oven. But like most things where there is more than one way to do it, none of the methods are wrong provided the results are as desired. With these quick breads you just want to bake in a hot oven which is around the same temperature as recommended for the home oven.

Buttermilk and Sourdough Biscuits

These are sometimes misunderstood, the origins of these days back to before baking powder, the acid in cultured buttermilk or the sourdough started reacts with either baking soda aka Sodium bicarbonate aka salertus or on earlier times a refined wood ash called pearl ash, both being alkaline substances and as we learned in chemistry class mixing an acid and an alkaline substance produces CO2 which provides the leavening.

Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups flour
½ to 1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons of lard or 4 tablespoons of butter
¾ cup of cultured buttermilk (more or less).

Sourdough Biscuits

1 ½ cups flour
½ to 1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons of lard or 4 of butter
1 cup sourdough starter

Mix the dry ingredients and cut in the butter/lard the liquid, stir with hand, just enough to mix well adding a bit more buttermilk/starter or flour to get slightly sticky soft dough. Working it beyond what is needed with toughen the final product, stir as much as possible.

Form and bake as above.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Yellowhouse Sam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Biscuits from Scratch
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 12:37:10 PM »
Well due to health considerations I'm going to try and revive my Mothers old biscuit recipe except very little salt can be used and lard is out.  Do y'all think unsalted butter is a good substitute or go with canola or some other oil?
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 02:28:52 PM »
Go with the butter, Canola is crap, I only use it in my work shop for a quick wood finish that don't smell up the house.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:48:54 AM »

Offline Yellowhouse Sam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 06:55:09 PM »
I'll give it a go then and Thanks
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 10:31:50 PM »
I've made them many times with butter, one even I go to there is a Jewish lady so the biscuits gets butter.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com