Poll

Do your pistolas have checkered grips?

Yes
No
Other: explain

Author Topic: Checkered Pistol Grips?  (Read 138988 times)

Offline PlacitasSlim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Checkered Pistol Grips?
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2007, 08:26:08 PM »
I replaced my stock Vaquero grips with checkered horn grips from eagle. They are about 6 years old now and I am very happy with them. The wife doesn't like them, she says they hurt her hands. ;D

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2007, 09:26:33 AM »
Just acquired a Beretta Laramie.
Replaced the stock wood grips with a pair of checkered "hard rubber" repros for the S&W New Model No. 3.
Made a world of difference.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2007, 10:29:21 PM »
I no longer have checkered grips.  Instead, I have made some with a very aggressive texture.  I like 'em a lot better.

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 07:15:11 AM »

Offline OKDEE

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2007, 09:47:41 AM »
I have gone the full gambet!  Both uncheckered and checkered.  I currently use checked grips, and I am getting ready to do my own checkering on 2 sets of wood grips.  StepNMud showd me his and I really like to personal touch on the gun.  Kinda makes it your own, not just another pistol.

Oklahoma Dee - Duelist are the Kuelist

Offline SmugglerSteve

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2007, 02:36:51 PM »
I used to use the smooth grips on my old style Vaqueros. One day I was at a match on a blazing hot summer day. It had rained like heck the night before and as it got hotter and hotter the humidity was awful. I'm not used to that anymore living in Colorado so I was soaked with sweat - including my hands. I drew without wiping my hands and the pistol slipped out of my hand! I had my other hand there so I caught it and it never even pointed anywhere but downrange. The only person who noticed was the RO. Later he said, "Good save." I don't know if he tagged me or not on that since I was so flustered I hardly hit anything. At least I kept it safe and that is what matters.

I ordered some checkered grips when I got home and I've found they work great in all weather conditions. I wish I hadn't ordered so quick since I ended up with gunfighter grips. My hands are more like paws so they are awkward even though I've been using them for years. My wife knows of this and I have reason to believe some new grips will be under the Christmas tree.

Steve

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2008, 04:13:18 PM »
I no longer have checkered grips.  Instead, I have made some with a very aggressive texture.  I like 'em a lot better.

My 1911 has smooth grips but they are blue Mastadon ivory.  The grain of ivory is awesome for gripping but if you do get the grip wrong to start with it's not any problem to correct.  If I could afford it I would have blue mastadon grips on all of my guns.  I love the stuff.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2008, 01:12:36 AM »
Camille,

I would think that it would be hard to find a Blue Mastadon, or even a regular Mastadon, now days ;D ;D ;D

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »
Camille,

I would think that it would be hard to find a Blue Mastadon, or even a regular Mastadon, now days ;D ;D ;D

Old Top

Is that "Blue Mastadon a 2-door or a 4-door???

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2008, 10:57:38 PM »
Curley,

Don't know, but I give it a wide berth if I met it on the road! ::) :o ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Jethro "Black Jack" Harris

• No. Do or do not...there is no try.
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2008, 07:22:02 PM »
Smooth on my 1970 EuroArms 58 Remmie .36 Navy. Checkered on my new Pietta .44 Remmie.
"Here lies Lester Moore...4 shots from a 44...no Les, no more"

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2008, 10:08:21 PM »

:o ??? NO  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2008, 12:19:52 PM »
Camille,

Old Top

Aww man!  Actually you can pick up tickets online but Mastadon isn't blue. :D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2008, 07:28:04 PM »
All of my SAs have been Rugers so far and had the smooth wooden grips, shot Modern or traditional, never a problem, but I have big hands and have no problem controlling recoil at cowboy power level (mind you, I'm not that competitive, so I ain't noticing split seconds I suppose  ;D).

My current guns are RNMVs and have the standard checkered gutta percha clone grips. They are ok as well.

I am about to start shooting classic cowboy and the clones I bought have checkered grips. They are in 44WCF and I intend to use healthy loads ( I always do, personal thing more realistic for me) and I will be converting to full power BP loads in the near future.

Shooting duellist would work better with smooth grips, I'm thinking. I have a spare clone with smooth grips, I will swap and change and find out which ones work best I suppose.

I was also thinking of making some smooth one piece grips from some real dense heavy Aussie hardwood to put some more weight in the grips, but this is project no: 24675, so it will be a while before I get around to it I suppose.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2008, 07:37:30 PM »
Howdy ffod,

I have been shooting clone revolvers with full case BP 45 Colt loads for a couple of years now.  I have used checkered and smooth grips firing duelist and no problem with either.  I'd try the revolvers with the checkered grips before investing in smooth ones, unless you just want smooth ones.  Good luck!!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2008, 02:19:00 AM »
Thanks for the thought Dr Bob, but I have a third clone which has smooth grips. Once I get used to shooting one handed and am going ok, I will swap the grips back and forward and have a look see. I', thinking at my level, there will not be much difference either way. Now, I have an article from an old mag which showed how to make 1 piece grips for a Colt. trouble is it is buried somewhere in the garage. Might take a whiles to locate it. ScheeeooooooooooooooT!
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2008, 11:31:08 AM »
Good debate guy's! All my revolvers have smooth grips, (factory varnish removed and hand rubbed). I once had a set of staghorns on an ROA--- shot one precision comp with them---almost ripped the skin off my hand-(and that was when I was a fully employed motor mechanic with leather for skin)---sold them to the Brit Govt when they took our handguns in '97.
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2009, 07:20:17 PM »
Like 'em for 2-handed shooting.  Don't like 'em for 1-handed.

Doc
What he said...

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2010, 01:49:47 PM »
I had Keno Slim carve fishscale into the factory grips from my Beretta Laramies:

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline temmi

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2010, 01:37:27 PM »
I have black Plastic/Rubber Blackhawk grips… but I have order new smooth wooden grips but they have not arrived.

Offline Kidd Krystin

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2010, 07:04:36 PM »
 ;D I shoot gunfighter.  Currently I use RNMV's, slim checkered gunfighter grips and love them.  I used to shoot '72 Open-tops with Army grips and loved those.  Go figure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com