Author Topic: First Match  (Read 124000 times)

Offline Russ McCrae

• Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: First Match
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2009, 02:26:03 PM »
Oh lord y'all want to hear about THAT?? :o

Happened like it was yesterday (Well, it was Saturday 4/4/09 be exact ;D)

I got a buddy thru kayak fishing (YES, us Texas Gulf Coast Cowboy's legs see the sun every now and then) that him and his wife wanted me and some others to come try it out. I told him I'd come watch but I was already hooked, just being a broke college kid there's only so much fun money to go around and CAS was a "Someday after college thing" I wanted to do.

So after helping a friend run hog dogs that morning I go over the range they hold it at and fit right in. Apparently hog blood, cow manure (You trip and fall in all kinds of stuff in a pasture chasing hogs) patched wranglers and plam leaf blend well at these events ;D. Jeff came over and said to just soak it in and I was, seeing what everyone was shooting and how the stage they were on was shot. He comes back and starts trying to find the pistols he brought for me (huh??) to shoot and doesn't know what we're (alot of "we" going on from this point on ;D) going to do about gun leather for me to use. I tell him don't worry about it I'm having a ball just watching when another guy comes up and says he's got a complete rig, his son and son's GF couldn't make it. I tried to tell them not to go thru all that trouble but they insisted and after taking the belt I was wearing (I carried a .22mag rough rider just like that all morning) and putting some holsters on it I was good to go.

Long Story short after doing ok on the first stage (hit all the rifle and shotgun, missed a few pistol ::)) I shot a few more stages and had a ball like I knew I would. SOOO I'm waiting on Uncle Sam to send me my refund so I can start looking at pistols, working on my marlin 1894 truck gun I carry at work (it's been around the block some), got to get back to the folks home and get my first dove gun (A org. 1897 12ga. ;D ;D) and get ready for next month to have some more fun all over again ;D ;D ;D

All in All I knew going in that this was going to be to much fun and for once I was right, and got to hang out with some new folks to boot. Not a bad way to spend Saturday afternoon. ;D 8) ;D 8)

"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335

Offline Annie Dote

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2009, 07:49:52 AM »
My first match... lets see that was just 3 months ago so it should be real easy to remember.  My husband and i went and watched a few before jumping in.  He had his first the beginning of April and mine was the end of April.  Man was I nervous.  At the loading table my hands were shaking so bad I wasn't sure I could get the rifle loaded.  The guy at the table just kept saying take a deep breath and relax.  That helped .... a little.  First stage required 7 shootgun... i had room for 6 on my belt... now what to do...  So I tied my empties bag onto my belt and loaded it full.  You see I hate shotguns and was sure I would miss most of the 7 targets.  But I figured I would give it a try anyway.  My turn came and the RO was so super nice he put me right at ease.  Didn't have a clean stage but I did manage to get all the shotgun targets without a bit of trouble.  The trouble came when my husband wanted his TTN hammered coach gun back..  I offered to let him borrow it.  I now love my shotgun and wouldn't trade it for anything. He had to go find another one.

Offline Long Branch Louie

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2009, 07:32:08 PM »
Ain't shot my first match yet. I've been to two, the last being the state match in Salisbury.  I got a rifle ordered from Cody and as soon as it gits here, I'm ready. It has took a little while, it's a mite expensive getting started and I can't spend the kid's lunch money. I've met a lot of nice folks, everybody has offered to help and loan me things and I'll probably need them the first few times. I expect to be very nervous and I've been shooting my whole life, but not in front of people. I just hope they bring a sundial 'cause I ain't sure a clock goes far enough......

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 01:34:37 PM »

Offline delmar

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
First Match
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2009, 12:54:36 PM »
I attended a match for the first time today. I didn't compete, but I did get to a chance to go through one of the stages
"off the clock". Thanks Matthew Duncan for the invite, the instructions, and the loan of your firearms! I called my wife
 on the way home and told her that I had a great time, and I have to buy a lot more guns!

Offline TomBullweed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2010, 10:16:05 PM »
I had shot IPSC, DCM, trap and bullseye matches for several years before my first cowboy match.  I did not attend a match to see what it was like; I simply went to a gun show and bought a used guns and went to see and do at a local monthly match.

Stumpwater and Camille Enoch introduced themselves and said that they would be glad to help me as a first-timer.  The first stage had a Texas star and a itsy-bitsy rifle target for a bonus.  I shot the stage clean, under 30 seconds and got the bonus mostly because they made sure I understood what was about to happen when the buzzer went off.

It took two more years for me to shoot another match as well as I did that day because I overthought everything little detail and kept switching gear.  But I have never forgotten how a new shooter was welcomed that day.  I am a middle of the pack shooter, but I make an effort to welcome every new shooter and especially every person who shows up to the match to see what CAS is all about because of the difference it made for me.

Offline PABLO DEL NORTE

• Very Active Citizen
  • SHOULDA BEEN A COWBOY
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2010, 11:48:12 AM »
 8)  IMA HOPIN' TO SHOOT MY FIRST MATCH THIS WEEK-END. I LACK ONE PISTOLA BUT I'M TOLD NOT TO WORRY
'BOUT THAT :)  I AIN'T GONNA WORRY 'BOUT NUTTIN' BUT HITTIN' AS MANY TARGETS AS POSSIBLE.
JUS' HOPE I DON'T GET TOO NERVOUS ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE :-[  ::)

I JUST WANT TO LEARN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE TO DRAG MY WIFE & LITTLE ONE IN TOO ;D ;D

Offline Russ McCrae

• Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2010, 06:24:03 PM »
TTT and how'd it go PABLO DEL NORTE????
"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2010, 11:11:14 AM »
I had shot IPSC, DCM, trap and bullseye matches for several years before my first cowboy match.  I did not attend a match to see what it was like; I simply went to a gun show and bought a used guns and went to see and do at a local monthly match.

Stumpwater and Camille Enoch introduced themselves and said that they would be glad to help me as a first-timer.  The first stage had a Texas star and a itsy-bitsy rifle target for a bonus.  I shot the stage clean, under 30 seconds and got the bonus mostly because they made sure I understood what was about to happen when the buzzer went off.

It took two more years for me to shoot another match as well as I did that day because I overthought everything little detail and kept switching gear.  But I have never forgotten how a new shooter was welcomed that day.  I am a middle of the pack shooter, but I make an effort to welcome every new shooter and especially every person who shows up to the match to see what CAS is all about because of the difference it made for me.

Now that right there is the essence of CAS.  From Texas to Maine, Florida to Alaska, ya run into folks who will go out of their way to teach you their best tricks.......
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2010, 06:53:22 PM »
Now that right there is the essence of CAS.  From California to Maine, Florida to Alaska, ya run into folks who will go out of their way to teach you their best tricks.......
Aye.  Fixed that for ya!  ;D
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Deadeye Dan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2010, 08:49:55 PM »
First match this weekend...in around 36 hours actually.  Absolutely can't wait!!!

Will post after it's ended to share my experiences as a total greenhorn with the group

Offline Deadeye Dan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »
So last match is long over and I'm hooked!

2 clean stages, no penalties other than misses (which was the main goal to be honest).  Slow as all get out, but fairly accurate and SAFE!  Will be going for another match weekend after this, and have bought my own double barrel from the club smith.  This greenhorn in hooked and expect to see him around...maybe even at end of trail this year!

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2010, 01:56:19 AM »
Welcome to CAS City!  We're all pretty much addicted!  ::)  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Ragged Earl

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2010, 07:32:46 PM »
My In-Laws all shoot(mother in law is Sweet P Instigator), so I've been playing with the guns during the holidays for several years now and I've even been to 1 shoot just to watch. Actually it was a shoot planned specifically for my wife's grandparent's to renew their vows afterward.

I drove the 5 hours up to their house on Saturday to pick up a Winchester 92 and a Stoeger 20 ga SxS so that I could get started. Turns out their local club was having a monthly shoot, so they loaded me up with everything I needed and we headed to Granbury on Sunday.
I shot my 1st and 5th stages clean, best time was 28 seconds. I'm hooked.

My Vaqueros should get here on Friday and my Dillon 550 sometime next week.

Offline Dances With Coyotes

• Dark Lord of the Soot apprentice
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2011, 06:27:54 PM »
Tomorrow is gonna be my first match as a shooter. Ya'll wish me luck and I'll be happy if I dont shoot myself in the foot.
All you need is love and a .45

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2011, 05:03:29 AM »
Howdy Dances with Coyotes,

Here's wishing you the very best of luck on your first match. Take your time, enjoy yourself and you will do just fine.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Dances With Coyotes

• Dark Lord of the Soot apprentice
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2011, 12:14:07 PM »
Well, I did alright. Out of 20 shooters I finished last, but that was to be expected. I did place 2nd in my category (Duelist, of course there was only 2 of us) My rifle was messing up with my loads. Sometimes a live round would get ejected along with the fired case which was costing me miss penalties. I think it may be a OAL issue. Rossi 92 .38/.357 using .38 cases, 158grRNFP and 3.0 gr Trailboss. Gonna order me some 147gr TC that are supposed to have a longer OAL than a 158, also might try the shim trick I've read about. I have a spring kit on order and when it comes in I'll work on that Rossi. I did shoot 2 stages clean so I was pretty proud of that. I just took my time and wasn't trying to break any records. Was mostly concerned with not accidentaly sweeping anybody and keeping my finger out of the trigger until I was pointing downrange or dropping a gun. When that buzzer rang I didn't give any thought to all the people standing behind me watching. Everybody was real nice and encourageing. Afterwards we had beans and cornbread provided by a member. Was worried I'd have a hard time remembering the stage scenarios order but after a minute or two I got it down. Piece of cake.
All you need is love and a .45

Offline Deadfoot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2011, 08:24:54 PM »
My first match was last Saturday.  My nephew has a club near him that shoots CAS and he decided to rope me in as his shooting "pard". While I've been shooting since I was 12 ('bout 40 years... yikes) I had no single-action, lever gun, or even a cowboy hat.  Somehow managed to collect in a few months time most of what I needed in hardware and clothes, made a holster, paid my SASS dues and went out to play, hoping I'd like it. My nephew ought to be a salesman, convincing me to invest about $1000 in it before I'd had a chance to even try it, and I was still shy one pistol.  Luckily the club allows for one-pistol shooters.  Gotta say, it was an absolute hoot! The nephew and I had a fantastic time.  The folks in the Salt Port Vigilance Committee are a terrific group, very welcoming and helpful to new folks. I can't wait until next month to get out there again ;D
Deadfoot

Offline Thomas O'Hawk

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2011, 06:27:36 PM »
Well, I know I got a lot of comfort out of reading your experiences out of this thread so I thought I would add my own to the ages.  

I had my first shoot this weekend with my home town gang.  On the plus side, I have read so many posts, and watched so many CAS videos that I just knew that I was going to go out and just amaze all the other shooters with my prowess and skills…..yeah right.  After all I had been practicing and was pretty handy with a revolver if I do say so myself.  How hard could this be?
Unfortunately I drew a low number for shooter order (number 3) and was so smart that I turned them down when they offered to let me drop a bit lower.  Surely I could get the notion of a stage by watching the two shooters before me…..more on this later.

I went to the loading table and while I wouldn’t say I was shaking, I must say I was having trouble getting those big rounds to load into that tiny loading gate on my “92”.  Ultimately I got ‘er done and slid over to the end of the loading table.  I looked up and the guy shooting before me was almost done.  How could this be?!?  I had missed both the other shooters while trying to load my own firearms.  Oh well, I used to shoot USPSA so how hard could this be (with a bit more doubt this time)?

I got to the stage and thought I knew what I was doing.  I was prompted for my line, but couldn’t remember it for the life of me (nor did I for any of the following stages either).  Revolvers first, smooth action, fast shots (again I had been practicing) a lot of clangs, but then came the transition…   I realized at this moment that I had not been practicing this part of the game, so it was a bit clunky.  I got on the rifle and immediately lost the order of targets and got a procedural.  I also learned that you can’t miss fast enough to help your time.  The shotgun was my port in a storm and never failed me.  It helps to see if the plates are down or not.  

Next thing I know the stage is over and I mosey over to the unloading table with a big stupid grin on my face.  I go through the motions without incident and realize I have nothing to put the spent brass in.  I need both hands for the long guns but I have these 20 .45 cases grinning up at me.  Luckily I am a smart guy.  I realize in my outfit I don’t have any accessible pockets, but I am wearing a bib shirt.  So I ever so smartly unbutton the bib top and drop this double handful of brass in there.  Unfortunately what I didn’t know was that the bottom of the bib is only held closed by a couple of buttons so I found out (and you already probably knew) that the cases fell straight on through to the ground at my feet.  I muttered something as I crawled around picking them up and glanced up at the guy manning the unloading table and with great appreciation realized he was barely winning the battle to not burst out laughing.  I stood back up only to have the cases that had not yet escaped my shirt to pick now to fall out.  My unloading officer kept his composure (barely) and politely let me know that I still had some falling…..   After re-picking up my cases, I sat there for what seemed like minutes staring at this unsolvable problem on the bench, when the officer suggested I use my hat….hmmmm.   This worked marvelously though I think I will come up with a bag before the next shoot.

The next few stages got better, but the real turning point came when a mentor came and told me that I was “shooting faster than my brain”.  True enough.  In my quest to get those blazing times, I was forcing shots before my noggin could work out the right order.  I guess it is hard to pick which fork in the road to take when you are on a run-away wagon.  I slowed down from that point on and the rest of the stages worked out really nice.  I started getting clean runs and my times were not as bad as I would have thought.   I am not going to be in the top rankings for this match but you would be hard pressed to find someone that had more fun than I did.
The whole posse was a great bunch and I couldn’t have asked for more understanding people.  I am very much looking forward to next month’s match.

In case there are any others about to undertake their first match, I want to throw out a few things.

1.    Don’t be in the low numbers for shooter order!  They will understand and let you move down if you ask.
2.   Don’t outshoot your ability to think.   Shoot the first stage slow, and the second stage slower….you really won’t but you will be amazed how this frame of mind and smoothness works for you.
3.   Take a bag to the unloading table!!  Nuff said about that.
4.   Enjoy yourself!!  Everyone was nervous their first time.
5.   A great stage does not require a great time of fire.
6.   Allow time to work a 5 button fly with holsters and belt on when you go to the outhouse.  This was something I never practiced at home either…..heheh.

Yeee Haw!
  Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2011, 06:49:04 AM »
Well put, my wife just got her guns an is gonna try CAS, Ah'm gonna make sure she reads your post before she tries her first shoot. Thanks.  :) WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Holden A. Grudge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »
I still end up making several trips to the cart from the unloading table.  Sure I got a nifty little bag, right there on my cart where I left it before heading to the loading table. HA  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com