• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
OAL
« on: September 08, 2010, 08:39:21 AM »
I just picked up a Rock Island Armory 1911 and ordered a set of Lee Dies. I have some 180 grain .45 RNFP lead bullets I want to use up. I'll be using Trail Boss powder and IMR's website calls for an OAL of 1.140" with Trail Boss and a 180 grain bullet. Seating my 180 grain bullets to the crimp groove will give me a 1.140" OAL. This website http://www.handloads.com/articles/cartridge.htm shows a maximum OAL of 1.275". Never had a semi-auto pistol till now, only single actions. How sensitive to OAL are 1911's? Could these 180 grain RNFP bullets give me any problems? Any suggestions as to a bullet to use?

Any suggestions and tips on reloading .45 ACP cartridges will be greatly appreciated.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: OAL
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:21:31 AM »
Johnny,

I'm new to 1911's myself and can't claim to be an expert.  However, a much more experienced friend, told me to adjust seating depth and the amount of taper crimp until the loaded cartridge dropped easily into the chamber.  That has worked well for me, as my Springfield 1911 has been completely trouble free and accurate with cartridges so loaded.  I use 5 gr of Unique (or 16.5 grains of FFFg black) with a 200 grain RNFP bullet.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:23:47 PM »
I tried a batch of 180 grain RNFP bullets with 3.5 grains of Trail Boss seated to an OAL of 1.140". These did not eject well and I had some jamming. I then tried two batches of 230 grain RN bullets with 3.5 and 3.9 grains of Trail Boss seated to an OAL of 1.200". Both batches worked just fine. I'll stick with the 230 grain RN bullets and 3.7 grains of Trail Boss.

Never had anything but single actions before. I sure had fun!

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:47:27 PM »

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:56:37 PM »

I'll have to give that a try Johnny, still waiting for my dies and brass to come in, I can't remember of any time when it was this hard to get components together to load ammo, I hope with the next administration things will improve.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 08:40:32 AM »
One of the best cartridge gages for the M1911, is the Ruger 45 ACP cylinder from a Blackhawk.  It has tighter cambers than an M1911, so if my handoads drop into the cylinder freely, they'll fit an m1911 no problem.   
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 10:04:21 AM »
Border Ruffian,
Thank you for your post. I know absolutely nothing about semi-automatic pistols so any information is greatly appreciated. All my experience so far has been with single actions.

So far I've put over 400 rounds of 230 grain RN bullets with 3.7 grains of Trail Boss seated to an OAL of 1.200" through my 1911 with no problems. While I use the above for target shooting, does anyone have any recommendations for a cartridge to be used for home defense?

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 10:49:57 AM »
Border Ruffian,
Thank you for your post. I know absolutely nothing about semi-automatic pistols so any information is greatly appreciated. All my experience so far has been with single actions.

So far I've put over 400 rounds of 230 grain RN bullets with 3.7 grains of Trail Boss seated to an OAL of 1.200" through my 1911 with no problems. While I use the above for target shooting, does anyone have any recommendations for a cartridge to be used for home defense?

Johnny, I use JHP in 230 gr., this is the best defense bullet you can use in home or for defense in general, most the top manufactures market this round, it gives you the best of both, expansion without the worry of shooting through a perp. and the knock down power of the 230 gr. bullet. IMHO, I use Hollow Points in all my defense guns.

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 12:16:44 PM »
Thanks TW, any certain manufacturer that you would recommend?

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »
Thanks TW, any certain manufacturer that you would recommend?

Cor-bon Self Defense 45 acp +P 230 GR. JHP BXof 20

Winchester Supreme Elite 230 gr.JHP BX of 20

Federal Premium Personal Defense 230 gr. Hydra-Shok BX of 20

Hornady TAP personal Defense 230 gr. +P JHP  BX of 20

These are just a few of what is out there, I've had good results with the ones I have just printed out, I will be shooting only 230 gr. bullets in my 1911, and therefore I want the same weight in my defensive bullets, IMHO, this helps keep you on target at home and the range.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 05:31:52 PM »
TW, Many thanks for this information.

Offline Pecos Clyde

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 11:01:16 AM »
Border Ruffian,

You might find the information listed on this website of interest.  While I do not think the info is the "end all" in making a ammo choice it allows you to see some fairly relavant information.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=18&Weight=All

PC

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 01:55:34 AM »
Howdy Pecos,

Many thanks for posting this.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 05:27:04 PM »
I had pretty good luck getting 230 grain cast lead ball from Grand Master Bullets in Colorado, when I couldn't get the Blue lube bullets here locally. I have noticed he has several weights in a .452" for your shooting pleasures.  1.20" seems to be the length both mine and my wifes 1911's prefer.

GMB was fairly priced and shipped out quick and also will do phone orders
Mathew 5.9

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 07:21:40 PM »
I had pretty good luck getting 230 grain cast lead ball from Grand Master Bullets in Colorado, when I couldn't get the Blue lube bullets here locally. I have noticed he has several weights in a .452" for your shooting pleasures.  1.20" seems to be the length both mine and my wifes 1911's prefer.

GMB was fairly priced and shipped out quick and also will do phone orders

Howdy Rooster, just checked out there web site, looks like they're closed for now, here is what they posted.

Notice:
Due to fire, we experienced a total loss of our personal dwelling.

Due to these circumstances, We are NOT taking any orders for a short period.

We hope to be back on our feet as soon as possible - please check back often.
If you have any questions or want to be notified when we are up again - email us grandmasterbullets@yahoo.com

Thank you for your kind thoughts and patience.
Jim Gowdy

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 05:18:11 AM »
that had to be pretty recently, I had got an order from him within the past month. I hope things turn around for him

thanks for reporting this
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com