Author Topic: Another newbie question  (Read 5288 times)

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Another newbie question
« on: January 19, 2005, 10:51:09 AM »
..Okay, I've read everything available at CASCity's web site about getting ready for Action Shooting, and I am not too worried about coming up with needed guns for this, but I am sorta concerned about the clothing.  I've got a hat that will work, (it ain't strictly speaking a cowboy hat, but it is wide brimmed, and has enough miles on it, stains and so forth to give it enough character for it to pass I think.

Now I know the "Getting Started" piece by Capt. Baylor says "no costume police" but I am still a bit worried about things like decent shirts, boots and pants.  Is there some place you can pick up these items cheap? And I mean big time cheap....

Thanks in advance for any adivce you can give me...

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Another newbie question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 11:01:48 AM »
Howdy, Mac. You can often find appropriate stuff at Goodwill or places like that. It's surprising the things that lurk on their racks. Welcome to the game. It's a good bunch of pards. ;)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 12:49:51 PM »
I'll second Will's suggestion about GoodWill. My shooting partner has found all kinds of good stuff there. You also might want to check Wild West Mercantile's Bargain Corral, there's sometimes some real good deals there,too.......

http://www.wildwestmercantile.com   .............

Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:43:15 AM »

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 01:21:28 PM »
Howdy Pard,

Goodwill is a fine idea and a good way to browse and see the stuff you're buying.
Another thing is to look at the online classifieds.  Folks sell their used gear for a fair price and it's all CAS stuff.  New shooters can put up WTBs and often get exceptional deals.  We've all got a shirt or such that we don't wear anymore.

Adios,

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 04:09:33 PM »
When I first started, I wore blue jeans, oxford shirts, and engineer boots. I had all of these already. But, I go to Goodwill about once a month to see if they have jeans and collarless shirts. They sometimes are cowboy boots and boot that can pass as frontier boots. Salvation Army Thrift store and St Vincent DePaul are good stores also.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 08:32:24 PM »
You can take a pair of button-fly levi's and cut the tags, take out the decorative stitching off the back pockets, they'll pass muster.  Supposed to be natural color, but.... what the heck.  Get out to a couple of shoots, sometimes you'll find someone with a rack of used or surplus shirts.  You can also just cut the collars of an oxford shirt and they'll look ok, frayed is good.  Don't worry about it.  We all started sometime or other.

Griff
SASS#93  (Life)
CMSA#93  (Life)
NRA          (Life)
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 07:31:47 PM »
I still use an old Arrow oxford shirt that has that "matress ticking stripe" to it that I cut the coller off. I also have a pair of black denim pants and cut the belt loops off, and at River Junction you can get Suspender buttons that you put on with a little mallet. also got 2 pair of suspenders at $12 each (couldn't decide on which color.) Also if anyone sews in family pick up some patterns. I still wear a button front shirt my ex-wife made for me over 20 years ago. My daughter in law made me a couple on satiny wild rags from some nice left over material...
ya can look great for a small outlay if you look around..
and the fashion police arn't that strict anyways...
good shootin' (that is what it isall about anyways)
cc
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 08:11:21 PM »
Tarheel, any good club will give you a "clothing break" for at least a few months, so don't be in a big rush. Take the time to shop around and see what's out there you can afford. Just don't wear tennis shoes to your first shoot. You can wear any type of boot or shoe, even high top work shoes, with no lugged soles. In fact, the high top work boot looks just like the only towney shoes or brogans.

The others have given you some real good places to check, but don't forget Wally World (Wal Mart). They carry downright inexpensive jeans and boots/shoes that might work for you.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com