Author Topic: Real story of the .38spl???  (Read 15031 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Real story of the .38spl???
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »
Leo, what load were you using that would not penetrate a raccoon?  I load a hard cast wadcutter to about 900 fps and find it a great little cartridge that hits way out of proportion to it's appearance.

I used 158 grain flat points with a cowboy load.  I think I found my mistake, I shot them in the head and later learned that raccoons have very thick sculls.  I was glad that there was no blood cause the coons out here carry a variety of diseases.  There weren't a mess when I buried them and the rifle wasn't loud enough to attract the neighbors attention.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 03:57:58 PM »
I've eaten 'coon on occasion and a female or young male isn't bad at all. An old Boar is rather rank.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 04:04:52 PM »
You wouldn't want to roll the dice on eating one from out here.  As far as the boar go I have learned that it depends on weather or not they eat roots instead of above ground veggies. 

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:17:59 PM »

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 06:13:03 AM »
I used 158 grain flat points with a cowboy load.  I think I found my mistake, I shot them in the head and later learned that raccoons have very thick sculls.  I was glad that there was no blood cause the coons out here carry a variety of diseases.  There weren't a mess when I buried them and the rifle wasn't loud enough to attract the neighbors attention.

Not sure what the velocity would be for a cowboy load but the RNFP may have glanced off the skull.  Maybe more velocity would help but a better bullet would.
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 09:55:02 PM »
From what I remember reading, the .357 was developed for the police who wanted a round that would penetrete an engine block. Considering the engines of the time, the Mag. would do it. The truth of this, I am not sure of.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 10:55:11 PM »
Reading a south Africa magazine that talked about 38 cartridges and they claimed the British 380 revolver(1868) was the father of them. Seems the S&W 38(1877) and 380 revolver and will inter change. Later the 38 special(1902) then 357 mag(1935) and last the 357 maximum. The 38 S&W is a bit thicker and may not fit in some guns chambered for 38 special. I don't suggest any one use a cartridge other then what the gun was made for, just looking at the linage here.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 07:02:58 AM »
From what I remember reading, the .357 was developed for the police who wanted a round that would penetrete an engine block. Considering the engines of the time, the Mag. would do it. The truth of this, I am not sure of.

Actually, I recall reading years ago it was wanting a round to penetrate the thick body panels of cars is why a more powerful round was developed.  My theory is it was borne form the "bigger, better, faster" nature of the human species.  :D

Now I'd like to hear Leo's buddy tell why it's called ".38 Special" since the bullet diameter is .357".  ;D  It wouldn't have anything to do with the evolution of lengthening the heel based, reduced diameter shank .38 rounds (which were true 0.38" diameter) and replacing with a .357" inside lubricated bullet while retaining the same outside case dimensions... would it?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 09:01:36 AM »
I haven't talked to the guy in a couple years now.  I'm glad this thread is still going and I continue to learn.

Roland Deschain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com