Author Topic: I want a 7 1/2" 1873 SAA clone. Which one do you recommend?  (Read 10874 times)

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I want a 7 1/2" 1873 SAA clone. Which one do you recommend?
« on: October 31, 2012, 08:15:52 PM »
I want an authentically styled SAA for my Indian Wars artillery impression. I have looked at Cimarron's 7th Cavalry pistol as an obvious choice. I am curious what other ideas you have.

I will be shooting .45 Colt cartridges filled with real black powder. I would probably be willing to have one in .44 spl if need be since that is my current cartridge of choice for my 1866 and 1872 open tops but the 45 colt is a more authentic choice. It should be visually authentic in design to the 1870s and 1880s.

Is there a Model P out there or some other choice that I should consider as well?
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
Re: I want a 7 1/2" 1873 SAA clone. Which one do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 08:58:05 PM »
I do love the 44 spcl myself, but given what you are looking for in authenticity of style and markings, I'd vote for the Cavalry (the Uberti version, not Pietta).  USFA version would be nice, but pretty much not available at this time.

If money was no object, you could buy an extra 44 spcl cylinder and barrel and install them on the cavalry frame.  Then you have a 44 spcl that looks like the Cavalry.  You could even sell the original barrel and cylinder to recoup a few bucks.

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 09:58:04 PM »
I am afraid money is an object. I already load for 45 colt so that is really not a problem. I just happen to load a LOT of 44 spl.

George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:57:21 AM »

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »
USFA currently builds the best copy.  The problem with USFA is they are either a. 2 years behind in production or b. going out of business.   Check with Brian Buck at 3 B Shooting Supply in Kaufman, Texas.  He has a pretty direct line with Cimarron and may be able to get you what you want at a reasonable price.

NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 03:12:09 PM »
If cost is a real concern, try the EAA Bountyhunter. I have two of them, both 7 1/2" and they are just fine for my needs. I have had no trouble from them at all in two years of fairly light use.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 06:39:59 AM »
Pard, I have a pair of Uberti Cattleman in 45 LC at 7 1/2 I'm waiting on.  I am putting them into a Mernickle rig with US markings in black.  These won't be near as expensive as the other brand, and you can always put cartouche grips on it.
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 08:12:50 AM »
I have a Cimarron/Uberti Mod P in 45 Colt 7.5" barrel. I simply changed the grips as mine had a Cimarron logo emblem in it. Other than that the gun is as close to perfect as it gets.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Roshi

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 12:00:49 PM »
I am afraid money is an object. I already load for 45 colt so that is really not a problem. I just happen to load a LOT of 44 spl.

Best buy is ordering a Cimarron (Pietta) New Frontier in .45 Colt with 7 1/2 barrel through Davidson's Gallery of Guns on line.  I walked out the door with 4 3/4 inch version for a bit over $ 400 all in.  See my two review posts in this forum.  I do not recommend spending the extra money for the Cimarron (Pietta) US Cavalry.  The Cimarron Uberti Custer is a much prettier handgun but is pricey.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »

You do realize, the Cimarron 1860 R/M Conversion would be authentic ..............

Coffinmaker

Offline robtlah

• Lawdog Bob
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »
I have a Taylor's (Uberti) SAA in 7 1/2 inch barrel, and an EMF (Pietta) SAA (Californian) in 5 1/2 inch barrel. Besides balance difference due to barrel lengths, they are different shooters. The Pietta was really slick right out of the box, as if it had been customed tuned by a gunsmith. The Uberti is a little stiffer. I haven't had it tuned as yet and probably won't. It's loosening up over time and I'm pretty satisfied with it as it is, as I'm no speed shooter and don't care to be. I like both firearms.
Lawdog Bob

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 06:08:16 PM »
When I was hunting for a 7.5 inch SAA I was contacted by Sam Peeded from EMF who put me in line for a Pietta SAA.  I haven't anything bad to say about that pistol except I wish it were the "Alchemista" with the 1860 Army style grip.

It shoots 40 grains of Black Powder in the .45 Colt as well as the 28 grains of BP Schofield load.  I haven't had a problem with it in the five years I've owned and used in in CAS matches.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 08:37:56 PM »
Hopalong Strong-
Everybody has their preference... I have chosen Uberti. I have two 7.5" barrels; one is a Cattleman and the second one is a Cimmaron Custer Model. Both are Old Frame Models. The Cattleman came OOB with those silly safeties on the hammer and that ridiculious ASM Cylinder Pin. The Custer Model did not have. Both Models as they came ROB were VERY STIFF. I did my own action work. I removed those silly safeties on the Cattleman's hammer and replaced the ASM Cylinder Pin, replaced the Trigger/Bolt Spring with Wollf Wire Springs and replaced the Hammer Springs with Wollf. The hammer Springs I highly polished. Both revolvers had Coil Spring Hands retained by a small screw in the frame. I removed the screws and threw them away, the coil springs are now held in place by the Backstrap. By doing away with those screws the cylinder moves much easier now. I did have a PROBLEM with the Cattleman after firing it alot. The hammer pin over time caused the frame where the firing pin hole is... to "pucker out" and this would cause the revolver to jam when you tried to cock it. The "PUCKER" was not that visable with naked eye, but when you moved a flat diamond file over the pin hole, you could see how the metal around the hole had pushed out. If you buy Uberti's you might want to remember this.  Other than that one incident, they have both done well in CAS. Also be advised that the Wollf Trigger/Bolt Springs are fairly weak, and the trigger is really a hair trigger. I am pleased with both.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 04:10:05 PM »
The hammer pin over time caused the frame where the firing pin hole is... to "pucker out" and this would cause the revolver to jam when you tried to cock it. The "PUCKER" was not that visable with naked eye, but when you moved a flat diamond file over the pin hole, you could see how the metal around the hole had pushed out. If you buy Uberti's you might want to remember this.  Other than that one incident, they have both done well in CAS.

Anyone else experience this with their Uberti?
A work in progress.

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 10:03:13 AM »
Anyone else experience this with their Uberti?

I have purchased 3 Uberti Cattlemen during a period of 3 months.  They have been fired about equally and I experienced this with one.  That one was bought used and might have resulted from dry fire.  I filed it flat and after a thousand shots it has not reappeared.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com