Author Topic: Hammer Shotgun Advice  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hammer Shotgun Advice
« on: January 03, 2022, 03:19:40 PM »
About all I can find is the Cimmarron Arms 1878 Coach Gun 12 ga. 20" barrels, standard blue.  Anyone have this gun and how do you like it? Any similar suggestions? Thanks.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Hammer Shotgun Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 04:29:51 PM »
Sorry I don’t have any experience with the Cimarron coach gun, as I fell into a Rossi Coach gun of similar specifications way back in 1989. (Sorry Weedy I’m still not going to sell it back to you ;D ;D ;D).  It has served me well over the years, but I don’t know what the availability is now.  Just know I have enjoyed it and won’t give it up (to quote Charlton Heston “from my cold dead hands” ::)).
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 05:01:40 PM »
I have the Cimarron double with 20 inch barrels. It is reliable, a bit rough but built like a tank.   To me, for the $ you can’t beat it. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:44:37 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 06:23:45 PM »
I have one of the older TTN '78's before Cimarron took over the importing.  It has been a great shotgun.  Like Mogorilla said, some of them are a bit rough, metal to wood finish varies, but they are solid and the big close hammers can be cocked together with a sweep of the hand (file off the sharp "eyelashes" on the hammers first!).  This gun has been the most popular with Classic Cowboy shooters for quite some time.  Most of them out there are marked Cimarron as they have imported thousands of them, but you might find one marked TTN, or EMF as they imported them before Cimarron.  In fact, I just bought an EMF TTN as a spare for mine because I found a good deal.  Not to confuse you, though, EMF currently imports an "1878" that is pricey (but nice) and is made by Pedersoli I think.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 09:45:36 PM »
I have just started using a CZ Hammer Coach [made in Turkey by Huglu]. It is a beautiful gun, some folks with small hands don't like the hammer placement, but it is fine for me [I do have big paws]. It is worth a look anyway.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 11:11:35 PM »
I had a Liberty II, which I'm told is the same as the current CZ hammer gun.  It was a nice gun and very pretty (case colored and polished blue whereas the 1878 is all blued and not much polish).  I cock one at a time while reloading so the hammer placement was no problem.  But the deal breaker for me was that it pointed high for me.  The TTN has more drop to the stock and points better for me.  So the last time I shot it was in 2012.  I finally sold it last week, since it's position as backup to the TTN was recently taken over by another '78, and there's only so much room in the safe. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 09:06:04 AM »

:)  Davem   ;)

Well, mechanically and practically speaking, the most value for dollar is the TTN/EMF/Cimarron 1878 Replica.  Made in China by Polytec.  Considering US/China relations, I don't know when/if we will see new guns again. 

Cimarron is currently also offering a '78 Replica by Dawdson of Pakistan though I haven't seen where they have any in stock for a long long time.

Then we get to high price spread and the Cream of the Crop.  The CZ is really nice, but even nicer are the Pietta and Pedersoli 1878s.  The CZ is costly and the Pietta and Pedersoli are real costly.  They are well worth the money however.  Tight and stiff when new, they will "shoot in" but may well need a bit of tuning to the Main Springs.

Play Safe Out There

PS:  I have had a really liked TTNs, currently have both the Pietta and Pedersoli.  I consider the Pietta and Pedersoli the best built Hammer Doubles on the market.  They are my favorites.

Offline Keith H.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 02:19:03 AM »
I've had a Cimmaron 78' for a few years and they truly are a tank, as was mentioned. I'd even go the route of re-barreling to .450 Nitro if I had a spare one to play with. I did the same with a CZ Ringneck, and the 78' is built strong enough, it doesn't need a third fastener for that. They accomplish nothing anyway. One thing I DID do with mine is strip the awful poly-coat off the walnut and re-stain, but not before lopping off that equally awful flared forend tip and re-contouring it to a proper style. She does well with .735 balls and 7 drams of black just as she came out of the box, and for pesky snakes is wonderful with dove loads. I don't hunt anymore, having left that in the past, but I do love building, and I might just get another one to cut up and solder back. I have completely disregarded the 'china' factor when it comes to these. They may be the only thing I've ever done that with, apart from perhaps 'china' chainsaws. They are not 'pretty', or engraved, but the basic block of steel is there for going at it.

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 07:28:50 AM »
Locally there was a 99% condition used CZ hammered coach gun available. I fondled it and put it back telling myself if it was still available in a week I'd think hard about buying it. I missed my chance and someone else got it but I figure I still have my $800.

Yup. Sold for $800.

If I still used a SxS for my main match gun I'd have snapped it right up. My TTN is my backup to my "87 which I greatly prefer. That CZ however shure was purdy though.

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 12:20:50 PM »
I have always used old double barrel hammer guns. They work fine. I never cut the barrels off either, never saw the advantage.
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com