Author Topic: Man with no name conversion  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Man with no name conversion
« on: April 11, 2021, 07:15:05 PM »
Bought a used Mwnn. Felt gritty and I just thought it was dirty. Tore it down and found this. What the heck would cause this and should I just get a new hand.
Thanks

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
Re: Man with no name conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 07:59:42 PM »
Probably means the hand was a little long and was forced to try and turn an already locked cylinder.  You can probably "clean" that up (if it has correct timing - you didn't say).  More than likely the "gritty" is the trigger riding on the hammer. Polish the hammer /trigger contact surface and it will feel much better.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 04:04:09 AM »
Thanks Mike! I can’t really tell for sure, but timing seems just a little off. Pretty close tho. Kinda like you have to pull the hammer back too much before it locks up. (Hits the cut out in the backstrap, sometimes)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:50:24 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 09:07:42 AM »

:)  PLUS ONE too 45 Dragoon   ;)

However, your timing is well and truly "hosed" (highly technical Gunsmith term).  The gun should lock into battery well before the hammer hits the Back Strap.

Yes.  Fitting a new Hand is in order.  Additionally, the Uberti version of the MWNN is actually NOT a conversion.  The gun is built on a standard Uberti Open Top frame with a dedicated 1851esque barrel.

Since the subject is a Uberti.  A Uberti Open Top pattern.  It also has a problem with the Barrel to Arbor fit.  So while you have apart, investigate the Barrel to Arbor fit and fix that FIRST.

Da Other Mike

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 09:16:24 AM »
Looking at the pic again, it more looks like there's been some cylinder spinning going on lol. The upset material on the outside of the lower finger being pushed up by the ratchet.
 The cylinder should lock at the same instant you reach full cock so your timing is definitely not correct.  That may indicate considerable use or handling (playing Clint Eastwood).  You need to fit a new hand or stretch the existing hand. Depending on how much wear and type of wear, the bolt may need replacing so that bolt drop can be re-established.

Mike

Haaaa! Great minds .  .  . (or my dad would say weak minds )  (good timing as well!!!) ?  What the maker of coffins said ^^    I agree totally!
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 07:11:40 PM »
Thanks a lot guys!  Well I THOUGHT I was getting a good deal, lol.
Bought it from a city cop, I figured, if nothin else, he knows how to take care of a weapon. Live and learn. Lol
Could I go by Khunhausens book for fitting the new hand and bolt?

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 09:37:08 PM »
Yessir, the Kuhnhausen book is pretty in-depth and a great resource. I was taught by Mr. Jim Martin that explains the steps and the do's and don'ts in that particular book.  Do the hand first. Once you have the bolt (currently in it) dropping in the locking notch simultaneously with reaching full cock, the hand will be the right length. Then you can deal with "bolt drop".

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 04:57:49 AM »
Great! Thanks Mike!

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 06:08:21 AM »
Ok- sorry for all the questions. Still waiting for Cimarron to get back to me whether they have the parts in stock. Got looking this revolver over again.
Took the barrel assembly off and was looking at it, and I noticed very bad leading. Strange thing is, the leading is only on the right hand side of the (I think) non existent forcing cone. Would this have anything to do with the hand problem?
Thanks for the time.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 08:25:28 AM »

:)  Holsterguy  ;)

It (one side leading) could be the result of the gun firing slightly out of correct battery.  I'd want to look at some of the fired cases (when still in the gun) to see where the firing pin is striking the primers.  This could be connected to an out of spec hand.  I would also be for adding an 11 degree forcing cone.

While you have the barrel off, dress the Arbor so it slides on and off smoothly.  Also check and eliminate any burrs (they are there - trust me) in the barrel lug bore for the arbor.  Then you can test for correct Barrel to Arbor fit.

Da other Mike - - - Stay Safe Out There

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 10:49:36 AM »
 Yes ^^^^  what da other Mike said!!

Da other other Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 12:13:40 PM »
I wonder if the previous owner liked to fan the hammer, to chew up the hand.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 01:09:41 PM »

:)  PLUS ONE too Abilene you betcha

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 05:39:14 PM »
Thanks Coffinmaker!
Abilene- I’ve been wondrin that too!
Also, he tried to sell it on consignment at the LGS. Who knows what happened while they had it. All I know is the shop owner said it had been there a while, and he told the guy to come get it, he needed the showcase space.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com