Author Topic: Determining whether I have a USA-made USFA or a parts gun  (Read 5314 times)

Offline JasonR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Determining whether I have a USA-made USFA or a parts gun
« on: February 16, 2021, 04:43:48 PM »
Hi everyone, I've read yahoody's and others' very helpful posts on this subject, but I'm still not sure what I have here. (I tried to post this with photos, but the forum software rejected my post as spam. I'll try posting the photos in subsequent posts.)

I picked up a 223xx serial number USFA for a low price, so I'm expecting it will be a parts gun, but I figured I would ask the experts just to be sure. I think it has a USA-made frame, given the appearance of the loading gate, but the serial number makes me think it's very unlikely to be fully USA-made.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you!

Offline JasonR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Determining whether I have a USA-made USFA or a parts gun
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 04:44:47 PM »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 12:55:16 PM »
The hammer looks USA to me since it appears to be cut checkering and it has a cone firing pin. Other parts we need to see would be the cylinder flutes and the other side of the ejector rod. Hopefully others more knowledgeable than me will come along shortly.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:41:38 PM »

Offline JasonR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 06:55:03 PM »
The hammer looks USA to me since it appears to be cut checkering and it has a cone firing pin. Other parts we need to see would be the cylinder flutes and the other side of the ejector rod. Hopefully others more knowledgeable than me will come along shortly.

Thank you! I will take more photos tomorrow when I have good lighting.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 01:36:41 PM »
Need to see the cam section of the ejector rod housing and the cylinder flutes. Also the loading gate pivot arm is thicker on USA parts guns than those on the Italian parts guns.

Is the front sight the same thickness from bottom to the top?
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline JasonR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 07:04:44 PM »
Sorry, wasn't able to take additional photos today. Dealing with partial civilizational collapse here in Texas. A giant falling branch destroyed our outdoor tankless water heater early this morning, knocking out all water pressure and punching a hole in the side of the house. :o Maybe tomorrow!

Need to see the cam section of the ejector rod housing and the cylinder flutes. Also the loading gate pivot arm is thicker on USA parts guns than those on the Italian parts guns.

Is the front sight the same thickness from bottom to the top?

I'll add those extra pictures tomorrow, hopefully. As for the front sight, it is the same thickness from top to bottom.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 12:09:52 PM »
Jason,

Sorry to hear about your water heater and house problems. Best of luck getting that sorted out.

Dave

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 04:38:59 PM »
If the cam section of the ejector housing is the long gradual one it is USA made, If it is the short fast cam it is an Italian part. If the rounded ends of the cylinder flutes are more round and less pointed it is a USA cylinder. If those two things check out with what you have previously shown us I would say you have an all USA parts revolver.

Offline JasonR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 05:37:39 PM »
Thank you. I don't really have anything to compare mine to, so if you wouldn't mind taking a look at these extra photos, I'd really appreciate it.

Even if everything checks out externally, would I still need to disassemble the entire gun to be certain that other internal parts are USA parts? I posted a picture of the hand earlier, but I'm not sure I trust myself to take the entire gun apart without marring something.

Thanks again.

(Don't worry, muzzle is pointed at my iPhone, not my face. :))

Offline JasonR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 05:43:17 PM »
Jason,

Sorry to hear about your water heater and house problems. Best of luck getting that sorted out.

Dave

Thank you, Dave!

We were very fortunate to be near the top of one plumbing company's list, and they managed to restore our water pressure today, even if we're going to have to wait for an unknown period of time to get the hot water back. We'll have to do some old-fashioned bathing with stove-heated water and sponges, I guess, but I'm not complaining. So many people around here and across Texas have it much worse right now. Send up some prayers for all those folks.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 10:17:57 AM »
The cylinder flutes are rounded and not pointed so it looks to be a USA part. The ejector housing cam is the long one and not the short one so it too is a USA part. I believe your USFA revolver is all USA parts. It may very well have been among the earliest all USA parts guns due to the serial number.

I do not feel any further disassembly would reveal any other sufficient evidence and I personally would not find it necessary. My only reason for further disassembly would be to install a lighter hammer and bolt/trigger spring, but if you are not confident you can do it without buggering up the screws I would not do it.

Sounds and looks like you may have very well lucked into a very nice bargain. Very good photos by the way and nice revolver!

Offline JasonR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 11:50:59 AM »
Thank you, Buckaroo Lou!

I am very pleasantly surprised! I was convinced when I bought it that a 223xx serial number would be too low for an all-USA parts USFA. Thanks again for your help.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 02:31:16 PM »
Gary Granger, if he sees the post would have a more definitive answer than me, but I am of the honest opinion it is an all USA parts revolver. Understand I am no expert though.

Did you get a box and paperwork with it?

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 03:44:32 PM »
If nothing else, JasonR, you have added a bit of life to our board with your question.  Thanks!  I, too, think that your SAA is all US made (and if not, any Italian parts would be so minimal that they would be considered insignificant - screws, springs, etc.).
BTW, I have added you to our "official" members list as requested. Welcome to our (your) forum!
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline JasonR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 11:46:03 PM »
Gary Granger, if he sees the post would have a more definitive answer than me, but I am of the honest opinion it is an all USA parts revolver. Understand I am no expert though.

Did you get a box and paperwork with it?

I did get the box and all the paperwork with it as well.

I thought I was just paying more or less the market rate for a gun with Uberti parts, so this definitely turned out to be one of the better deals I've ever stumbled into.

Thanks again!

If nothing else, JasonR, you have added a bit of life to our board with your question.  Thanks!  I, too, think that your SAA is all US made (and if not, any Italian parts would be so minimal that they would be considered insignificant - screws, springs, etc.).
BTW, I have added you to our "official" members list as requested. Welcome to our (your) forum!

Thank you for having me, Capt. John Fitzgerald, and thank you as well for your take on the SAA. This has been some much-appreciated good news in a week I'd otherwise like to forget!

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 08:26:14 PM »
Frame-USA
Hammer-USA
Cylinder-USA
Barrel-USA
Ejector Assy-USA
Hand-USA
Trigger Guard-USA
Backstrap-USA

These are the parts I'm certain are USA-made on your revolver.  The loading gate probably is too, but I never remember Cozmo's guide on telling them apart just by the view you've shown (though that is the view he recommends).  I can't imagine USFA, after managing to make all the most important parts on your revolver, just slipping in an Italian trigger, bolt, cylinder pin, and some springs.  I think you can rest easy and enjoy your good deal.

Edit to add that I've reviewed Cozmo's guide again.  Your loading gate is USA too--for certain.

Offline JasonR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 11:54:50 AM »
Frame-USA
Hammer-USA
Cylinder-USA
Barrel-USA
Ejector Assy-USA
Hand-USA
Trigger Guard-USA
Backstrap-USA

These are the parts I'm certain are USA-made on your revolver.  The loading gate probably is too, but I never remember Cozmo's guide on telling them apart just by the view you've shown (though that is the view he recommends).  I can't imagine USFA, after managing to make all the most important parts on your revolver, just slipping in an Italian trigger, bolt, cylinder pin, and some springs.  I think you can rest easy and enjoy your good deal.

Edit to add that I've reviewed Cozmo's guide again.  Your loading gate is USA too--for certain.

Thanks so much, OD#3! I really appreciate it.

Offline 37NGx

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 01:37:51 PM »
First time poster here, and new USFA owner I just picked up from an estate sale and had same question as OP. NIB 5.5 38 spcl SAA CH/DB HR grips, #25012, which I believe according to the ser number thread puts it about mid 2000’s. It appears to have last iteration of hammer serrations, conical however hammer is not CH? Paperwork all dated 2004, 2007, and 100% USA made certificate

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 01:57:17 PM »
37NGx,

Based on the 25,XXX serial number alone I would think that is a US parts gun. Hopefully others will join in and confirm, or offer other opinions or evidence.

I won't offer an opinion about year of manufacture. I've been led to believe the info is so sketchy on that I'm not sure anyone knows for sure.

Oh, and welcome to the forum and to USFA ownership.

Dave

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 11:57:38 PM »
I agree with Dave T that the serial number indicates an all USA parts revolver. Photos would help. The CC hammer was a $100 upgrade on the premium single actions back during the day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com