Author Topic: Cleaning between stages  (Read 3888 times)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Cleaning between stages
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 12:01:59 PM »
I use nothing but Goex Olde Eynsford. Using a bullet with sufficient lube of the proper type (SPG, home made, whatever) I can shoot a two day major match and never touch my guns.  I have to disagree with Coffinmaker a little here.  I DO like ballistol in the form of Moose Milk.  About a 10:1 dilution and the water portion dissolves the fouling while the ballistol left behind after evaporation provides lube/corrosion protection.  I've never had ANY corrosion issues by doing this.

While I don't like to make a practice of it, on a few occasions my travel requirements for work have necessitated leaving my guns without cleaning for a week.  Even after that long, I've had zero corrosion.  It's the sulfur component of BP when in a moist environment that forms sulfuric acid and leads to corrosion.  It's my experience that if your guns are kept in a low humidity environment (as in your air conditioned or heated house) that there will be no corrosion issues if they can't be cleaned immediately.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 06:44:38 PM »
A couple of thoughts from a long time BP shooter.  I have loaded thousands of rounds with Dillon Square Deals, 550s and 650s.  I use the factory measure.  When you are loading a thousand plus rounds at a reloading session dipping really isn't practical.  My personal standard is that if you cannot shoot six stages with absolutely NO cleaning, swabbing, fondling or whatever, you need to work on your ammo and/or guns.

Offline Ridge Runner

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2021, 07:46:39 PM »
When shooting black powder with Swiss 3F and lubing with SPG, I have never had to clean or lube between stages. 

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:57:48 AM »

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2021, 10:29:07 PM »
Yep, I use Dillon 650's also.  My only modification has been to put an aluminum hopper on them and ground them.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 05:18:42 PM »
^^^^^

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2021, 08:17:09 AM »
My pistol BP loads are simple, no matter the caliber.   Melt the lube out of the smokeless bullet.  load cartridges with BP and an unlubed bullet.  Squirt some butter flavored Crisco over the first two rounds after loading the cylinder.  Fire away.  No cleaning needed until you are done, and then they clean easy.  In 45's I use 25gr of BP, grits filler, and 200gr bullet.  If you wanna go big bullets and no filler, fine, works the same way.  Short pistol barrels don't need that much lube anyway.  Rifle is where you start needing more lube.  If I was shooting unlubed bullets with real BP in a rifle, I'd swab every couple stages probably.  Depends on results at the time.  With my single lube groove bullets loaded with soft lube in my rifle bullets, I never need to swab but my barrels are no longer than 20" and I'm not in a real dry climate which makes a difference.

Coffinmaker is probably taking a nap, but he'll be along to say that if you use APP then you never have to swab it anyway.  :)

Played around a bit yesterday. Set my scale to 25 grains, and then adjusted the powder measure to dump exactly 25 grains of Goex fff. Dumped that into a shell and examined it. Kind of looked like 25 grains was not enough, so I adjusted in increments up to 30 grains, which looked like enough, but something didn't seem quite right. I then read this thread again, and saw where the 25 grains was accompanied by some filler. NOW it all made sense. I will play again today, adjust everything back to 25 grains, and then add some cream of wheat.

I may even cut a slot into the side of a compromised .45 colt casing, cover the slot with clear tape, and then I can see exactly what is happening. Once I am satisfied, I will go ahead and load a few rounds and go make some smoke. Wish I had more primers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com