Author Topic: Where to buy leather.  (Read 9210 times)

Offline Deuce Stevens

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Where to buy leather.
« on: January 17, 2012, 07:29:15 PM »
 Hi there. It's my first post in this forum. I have admired the work on here for years. There are some great artists and craftsman on here. I am going to be making myself a Cheyeanne style two loop rig. I have a Leather Factory here in town but quality and availability is hit or miss. I have a good friend that is going to help me with this project as he is a excellent leather craftsman and has a full shop setup. I have heard some really good things about Wickett and Craig leather. Is it worth the money? Is there another choice for buying premium quality leather. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Offline TN Mongo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Where to buy leather.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 07:38:04 PM »
Deuce,

Welcome to the forum Deuce.

I've had good luck with Wickett and Craig.  Other makers swear by Hermann Oak (www.hermannoakleather.com).  I used to find good leather at our local Tandy Leather Factory, but I have been very disappointed the last few years.

Regretfully, leather prices continue to go up and the number of good sources have gone down.

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »
I have been using W&C almost exclusively for the past year or so. I tried some Hermann Oak and didnt feel it was any better or worse than the W&C, so will continue using the Wickett and Craig. Its good stuff, and they will split it for you to your weight, etc.
The russet color really looks nice with some oil on it. ;)
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:09:55 PM »

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 01:02:56 AM »
One rule worth considering it to take what you can see first over what you can't.  If you go to Tandy, and they won't work with you, and never have anything good in stock, that is one thing.  But mine has some OK leather (Canada is leather central, though I assume our Tandy comes from the same source) and being able to handle stuff is the key for me.  Tandy stores are inconsistent, since they are franchises and don't seem all that centrally run.  But if you have a vibrant local market, and the owner is good, the Tandy store can be a great source.

Keep in mind pros buy in volume, so they can't afford the time to pick out a hide at a time, and their supplier will work with them, and select appropriate leather if they can.  So the pros source may not translate to the one holster guy.  In larger towns there are often other leather sources than Tandy or the internet.  In Toronto, we have several places that sell leather, and we also have a few national places, so there are lots of sources, and I am sure it is even better in the US.

Offline TN Mongo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 04:39:42 PM »
Massive brings up a good point.  I've always prefered to look at a hide before I buy it.  There is a good size local saddle shop in our area that is willing to sell leather for a reasonable price.  I have found some decent sides there.  I would buy more leather from them, but they are not able to split the leather they sell. 

You may want to see if there are any local saddle shops in your area that would be willing to sell leather to you. 

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 07:01:58 PM »
I deal exclusively with Zack White Leather for hides... I never got anything that I was not expecting.

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:54:19 PM »
I have come to prefer the old style pit tanned leather from RJF Leather. Before that I almost always used either Herman Oak or more often W & C since they don't require a minimum nor does RJF. Another advantage to RJF is he sell double shoulders, which for the hobbiest or smaller shops can be advantageous and/or more cost effective.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »
I was not familiar with Wickett and Craig but I just placed an order and will be trying out their quality.
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:36:33 PM »
I REALLY like Wickett and Craig skirting leather. Only thing is you need to order thicker sides and have them split them in order to get clean backs. I gave up on asking for clean flesh and I will order a heavier side, have them cut the belly off, split it to 3-4 oz or other lighter weight for linings and other projects and I have the back split to 8-9 oz. to use for my main projects.

Either I'm more picky than I used to be or W&C carving leather is not the quality it once was, that said I had another supplier sent me a couple pieces to try and I realized real quick it was not the quality or consistency of W&C so they are still good. Maybe I've just gotten more choosy.

I have to say right now the very best carving leather is Herman Oak, it's a shame you have to buy 10 sides from them and buying it other ways gets the cost up pretty high.

I plan to try RJF per Chucks recommendation.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »
I bought a nice Oak Leaf saddle skirting from Tandy.  I looked at 3, and 2 were good, of which I bought the better one, to my eye.  I'm just wondering when buying in person, if you see a nice piece, is there any reason not to buy this stuff.  In other words, when you guys say you like so and so's leather are you saying two identical pieces of leather one from them and another, the one from you favourite place, is better.  Or are you saying that a particular supplier just grades and ships more useable leather to you.  I know in shoes there are some places who's top of the line product it better, it isn't just reliability of grade.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »
No it is a different consistency of  leather. In other words what was sent to me the other day was Chanin which is supposedly US hides tanned in Mexico or South America. It is beautiful leather, as flawless as the best I've ever gotten from W&C, it takes the tooling very well but after working with it I found it is more spongy and doesn't mold as well as W&C or Herman Oak.

So for what I make it is a good choice for bags and items that need to be more supple. I prefer to make my holsters single layer of around 8-9 oz so they look historically accurate but want a leather that will hold its shape without making double thick and wind up looking like a gamer rig.

The down fall to the Herman Oak and W&C is I find it harder to work with than the import I've used but the finished product is something to be proud of. The Chanin I just got cuts like butter and hand sewing is a breeze compared to what I've gotten used too.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 09:24:37 PM »
Well that sucks!  ;D  I' working with junk!

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 04:36:55 PM »
Well that sucks!  ;D  I' working with junk!

I doubt that, you would know the difference. ;D

If your getting from Tandy I've actually gotten some of my best and worse sides of leather from Tandy. Like you said it can be inconsistent but once you know what to look for it's nice to be able to hand pick if you have a store near by. I can't remember what Tandy calls their higher quality leather but I've gotten some of those that are as good to work with as Herman Oak or W&C. Our Tandy store here actually has some Herman Oak but it's only in the thinner stuff right now.

My only complaint with W&C is not their tanning process, it all seems to be firm and consistent, it's their grading that is very inconsistent.

I used to buy their specials and they were many times better than some of the A grade sides I'm paying for now. I guess either some bigger buyers are getting the good stuff or they are having a harder time finding good sides to work with.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 11:08:06 AM »
I've been buying W&C, and also having it split from a thicker piece to get clean backs to end up with a nice 12oz hide. It makes a great firm holster when done, much denser leather than Tandy stuff, but it can be hell to cut with a round knife! The Tandy cuts much easier, but when done I don't alway like the way the holster takes a wet molding, so it is a trade-off. It also isn't as consistently tanned, makes it almost impossible to get a good belt without flaws. I will always go with the better product even if it does takes more work. I just ordered a double shoulder from RJF, we'll see how it shapes up.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 03:06:19 PM »
Slim, are you buying the skirting from W&C?

Johnson County Rangers

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »
I got my W&C leather yesterday. The quality was very high. I am vey pleased with the color and the texture of the grain and flesh sides. I made a quick holster last night and I am wet molding it today. I'll let you know how it holds the shape.
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 07:35:28 AM »
Is it skirting or their carving leather?

I just placed an order for some Herman Oak, I cringe at the cost but it's been a little while since I used it and want to see how it is.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 12:40:56 AM »
Cliff: I buy the skirting. Been using the pre-dyed chestnut. Helps with the wet moulding as the eco-flo sold here in California gets splotchy when wet to much.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 12:36:23 PM »
Cliff, Mine is Chestnut Skirting. It seems to be taking wet molding and stamping as well as any leather I have found. I like it a great deal.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 06:59:02 AM »
Yes that skirting leather really is nice isn't it. As I said I really like Wicket and Craig's skirting leather, it their carving leather I have complaints about.

I broke down and bought some Herman Oak strap and carving from Weaver. It's the TR grade but the worse side is better than the last A grade carving sides from W&C.

The Herman Oak is as good as I remembered it being, like my brother said last night, it doesn't cost any more when you consider the extra pieces we can make from it and the aggravation it saves us.

At this point we are just going to buy our skirting from Wicket and Craig. I am still going to try the RJF Chuck recommended but otherwise just stick with Herman Oak for my natural carving leather.

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com