Author Topic: Active x?  (Read 5684 times)

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Active x?
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:04:56 PM »
What's the active x that keeps getting blocked everytime I change pages?
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Active x?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 08:53:37 AM »
Active x is a plug-in from Microsoft prevalent web page design, it allows some of the features of the site to function properly.  When you get the active x message you should see a bar at the top of the page that says something like click here to allow active x controls.  Once you click on that you shouldn't have any more problems at CAS City.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 05:50:49 AM »
Yeah - but, only allow it from sites that you know and trust. ;)

SASS # 40582 ~ BOLD H30 ~ RO I & RO II
Texas Regulators, Tomball, TX
Texas Historical Shooting Society, Columbus, TX

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:00:34 AM »

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 12:47:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I already know what an active x is.
 What I need to know is why does this place think I need to quit blocking it? What does the active x this site wants to put in my machines actually do? What benefit would it be to me, etc, etc......
Got creamed with a bunch of spyware and the like once from a site I "trusted" , so you realize the once bitten twice shy deal is in play here.

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:57:28 PM »
Kinda like you - once biten and ain't gonna be happening again.

Personally, unless someone explains why it's needed here I wouldn't activate it with a 10 foot stick.

SASS # 40582 ~ BOLD H30 ~ RO I & RO II
Texas Regulators, Tomball, TX
Texas Historical Shooting Society, Columbus, TX

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:15:22 PM »
 ;D Presdio I don't know about you but I'm a touch cornflustered why non of the powers that be ,seem to be wanting to address the direct purpose of their Active x ???

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 10:39:29 AM »
;D Presdio I don't know about you but I'm a touch cornflustered why non of the powers that be ,seem to be wanting to address the direct purpose of their Active x ???

There's only one "powers that be" that can address this and I'm sure that rather than him avoiding it that he just hasn't seen it or he may not know himself.  The forums are packages that are installed rather than being built from scratch.  There's also addins that can be installed.

I haven't seen any reference to any kind of active x in the code that is viewable just a lot of java script.  That doesn't mean that there isn't something being used by a header file or some other file though.  I don't get notices of active xs trying to install from this site and I don't have any site set as trusted.  I also don't advise setting sites as trusted. 

So, if the site is trying to install something on someone's PC then it's probably something that is pretty common and that I picked up somewhere else.  A quick time file or maybe adobe flash.

Ranch, once you get the message that there is an active x trying to download if you accept you should get a chance to see what the file is and a second option to cancel the download.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 12:05:38 PM »
Camille, this is the only site of the several I visit that gets an activex stopped. This machine is fairly recent manufacture, and recieves microsoft updates on a regular basis.
 My question is and always has been, and has been languishing around here for a couple of weeks now.
 WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE ACTIVE X THIS SITE KEEPS TRYING TO DOWNLOAD ON MY COMPUTER?
 Now seems to me somebody somewhere at sometime should be able to come up with a simple answer to a simple question. But to suggest a partial opening of something Microsoft security is slamming down sort of smacks of the same logic as OOPS pulled the trigger at something I didn't want to shoot, guess I'll just throw the muzzle to the ground right quick. :-\ ;D

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 01:31:56 PM »
Telling your machine to download the activex does not partially open it.  Microsoft updates won't suppy you with plugins AKA addins such as Quick Time player or Adobe Flash which is likely the culprit in this case.

You really can't look at it as Microsoft Slamming down the security on it either.  It's merely an alert that the site does want you to install an active x control.  If it makes you uncomfortable though then by all means don't download it.  I was not suggesting that in any way.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 02:08:29 PM »
Thank you for the swift,and absolutely clear, reply about what the active x that this site keeps trying to down load on my computer. ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com