Author Topic: Anybody Shooting?  (Read 4093 times)

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
Anybody Shooting?
« on: July 08, 2022, 08:01:15 AM »
Greetings All.  Been very quite around here of late and I understand as it has been hot!!  July 4th was great but didn't get to pull out the 76 as was to busy
herding grandchildren and seeing after some things at the farm.  As the old saying goes, I got nothing.  How about it, any of you folks had the chance to
burn some powder of late?!

P.B.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: Anybody Shooting?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 08:20:17 AM »
Last time out I shot my new Springfield Armory Ronin 45acp, Sig 1911 357sig, Colt SAA 45 and Ruger Flattop 45. Got alot of test loads shot, but only a fraction completed.  :( Now that I have a few molds and can make my own bullets, makes me wonder why I bother with all the test loads I already have made up.
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 11:15:05 AM »
Not much down here either . Like King I have  quite a few test loads ready just too hot for me right now . Try and stay Cool Amigo's ,,,DT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:15:51 AM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 12:34:59 PM »
I'm in the central Arizona desert where "Too hot" takes on a whole new meaning for black powder cartridges shooters. With humidity often in the single digits, black powder fouling cakes on hard and fast, even with the best bullet designs and lots proper lube.

I got out a couple times in June, that's how I can vouch for the above conditions and results. Haven't been out yet in July but I'm scheduled to meet a friend on the range this Monday. He's not a black powder shooter but I may get in some practice with my carry gun...provided I take enough water. (smile)

Can't shoot my single shot cartridge guns long distance as the National Forest and BLM land is all posted against shooting because of fire danger. Where oh where is our summer rain?

Dave

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 08:05:30 PM »
 Great, was going to post today anyway. A while back i had written a post about " frustrations", and lately i'v had a few, (lol). So, i put everything on hold, (back burner), (7-5-22) hid out in the shop, and loaded up some rds. for my 40-60, (it is my favorite, ya' know), loaded up (actually throwed in) and went to the range, temp was barely up to 80*, early morning. Set up the chrono., got the rifle, ammo, logbook, set up target, spotting scope, (I am shooting 50yds. ::) sipped some coffee, lit a smoke and wondered "why didn't i bring a REST?? " ;D.
 Rested my arm on the table, looked thru my peep sight, fired 5rds., 5 in the 3" bull, (i don't need no stinking rest!!!). MAN, that felt "GOOD", fired 2 more groups of 5rds.ea, using different powder loads of IMR 3031. DT uses CW for filler i use Dacron (to each his own).
 I was the only one there and enjoyed myself, i do keep all my targets to study and make notes on them.

more coffee,  Hootmix.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 07:18:34 AM »
I shot my Uberti 76 45-75 last week checking out a couple smokeless loads. My neck bothers me so bad I'm not able to shoot them much anymore but it's fun on my good days.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 08:24:43 AM »
How did your loads work? What were they? Sorry to hear of your neck ailments.
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2022, 07:21:06 AM »
I shot my Uberti 76 45-75 last week checking out a couple smokeless loads. My neck bothers me so bad I'm not able to shoot them much anymore but it's fun on my good days.
                                                            I feel for you Cliff , that is a pain you cant escape . I have a back injury that reminds me very often that I cant do that anymore .  The price of getting older !   ,,,,DT

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2022, 10:12:39 AM »
Still shooting CAS and BPCR gong matches here in the southern Republic of Texas.  We've got shade and fans, so we don't let the weather slow us down too much.  It's nothing a cold margarita after the match won't cure!  ;D

Anxiously awaiting receipt from Lee Shaver of my Uberti '76 with relined barrel.  I expect it to at last have a decent chamber and shoot groups smaller than my shotgun patterns!  Bullets are cast, black powder is on hand and brass is ready for final cartridge fitting to the new chamber.  Or should I say, for fitting to the rifle now that it will finally have something that can actually be called a chamber.............
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2022, 10:52:03 AM »
 I'm with ya' guys.  Here's a verse from a little song i wrote,, enjoy.

Now days will come an days will go
    Some go fast an some go slow.
    Now your mind is play'n a game
    But your body says it ain't the same.
    Thair's aches an pains that weren't there before,
    Well,,,, your not 30, any more.

coffee's ready,  Hootmix.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 06:14:51 AM »
Can drive across my biggest ground tank  in the Jeep and raise dust .  Its Hot dry and dusty down here in the invasion zone .  Had a hole torn into my East wall of the Brewster Co. house , cant get through the windows or doors they all have 1" jail bars over them . Guess they wanted a look into the house for something to eat ? Have a 500 Gal. water tank just off the porch . Yep a little too hot and dry for shooting  looking forward to Cooler weather and Better times !    Stay Cool Amigo's    ,,,DT

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 09:48:22 AM »
Assuming you mean hogs?
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2022, 10:40:08 AM »
Ha Ha yeah the cameras show Illegal  Aliens  all in matching Camo carrying large backpack's .  But hey who cares anyway , its just down here in the invasion zone and does not affect the other states .       FENTANYL !!!!!,,,, DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2022, 08:41:02 AM »
Sorry for airing my problems out here Pard's  . Its really my problem only  and I should  have not brought it here .  Stay Cool ,,,,DT

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2022, 09:52:55 AM »
 NO !!! DT it is a problem, for all of us....... Loading more 40-60's next few days.

let's have some coffee.    Hootmix.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2022, 09:53:29 AM »
I kinda know what you mean Dusty. My wife and I stopped at a big flea/farmers market in Fuquay Varina, NC many years ago and it felt like we were in another country. We appeared to be the only English speaking folks there along with the vendor we were talking to. Stay safe down there.
As far as the thread’s question goes we shoot our plain jane cowboy match next weekend. Some of us are planning to use old martial Colt NS or Smith HE revolvers. We are a WASA/SASS[unaffiliated] club. We shot a Josey Wales match last month. All revolvers, only had 1 miss and came in 1st of 6 shooters. Did a BAMM the month before that. Shot my Krag carbine. We use a variety of guns, 10-10-4 gets old if you don’t.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2022, 12:36:21 PM »
Back to topic- the kid was home on leave and we went out w/ the 1876, a Shiloh Sharps and an 1884 trapdoor.  She was not familiar w/ the crossed sticks position, and insisted on shooting from the prone... once.  Anyway, good times

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2022, 04:34:29 PM »
Ha Ha yeah the cameras show Illegal  Aliens  all in matching Camo carrying large backpack's .  But hey who cares anyway , its just down here in the invasion zone and does not affect the other states .       FENTANYL !!!!!,,,, DT

OOOHHHH,, I get it now. I'm a little slow, must be the stupid run-off from Chicago
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2022, 04:54:06 PM »
NO !!! DT it is a problem, for all of us....... Loading more 40-60's next few days.

let's have some coffee.    Hootmix.
                                                               Good advice , I loaded a bunch of 40-60's . Plan on shooting a bit this Saturday .  ,,DT

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2022, 04:54:44 PM »
We're with ya' Dusty.  It's a horrible mess.  I just finished serving on a Federal jury in Houston for a drug smuggling and kidnapping case.  Everyone needs plenty of "repellent" ready to hand..........
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com