Author Topic: Military Rifle Requirements  (Read 9557 times)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Military Rifle Requirements
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »
Would a Remington Rolling Block Carbine 24 inch barrel 45/70 be acceptable?
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Military Rifle Requirements
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:19:14 PM »
REMINGTON     U.S. NAVY M1867 ROLLING BLOCK CARBINE
REMINGTON     REMINGTON KEENE MAGAZINE BOLT RIFLE
REMINGTON     REMINGTON LEE MAGAZINE BOLT RIFLE
REMINGTON     U.S. NAVY "ANNAPOLIS CADET" MILITARY RIFLE
REMINGTON     U.S. ARMY MODEL 1870 "EXPERIMENTAL" CARBINE
REMINGTON     U.S. ARMY MODEL 1870 "EXPERIMENTAL" MILITARY RIFLE
REMINGTON     U.S. NAVY MODEL 1870 (TYPES 1 & 2) MILITARY RIFLE
REMINGTON     U.S. ARMY MODEL 1871 MILITARY RIFLE
REMINGTON     ANY ROLLING BLOCK IN MILSPEC CONFIGURATION

The above list is copied directily from our regulations.  If your carbine is a round barrel with a forearm band, it most closely resembles the 2 carbines listed above, though these would be .50 caliber.  However, reasonable caliber substitution is allowed.  So the answer would be a qualified yes.  Should your carbine have a non Milspec octagon barrel, it would be restricted to the "Buffalo" scout class.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:24:13 PM »
Thanks the one on the SASS Wire Classifieds is an octogon barrel.  So would be a BS class rifle.  Pretty good price for a SASS Long Range gun given the sights.  I am working on getting a milspec Krag as I want to be a 6th Infantry Captain.  My last assignment on active duty was commanding C/3/6.  The 6th infantry did 1812 (as 11th inf) Mexican War, Civil War, Indian Wars, Spanish American, Phillipine Insurrection, Mexican Expedition, WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Kosovo and maybe Afganistan and or Iraq
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:53:26 PM »

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »
Pick up the Krag tomorrow.  New wood reblued.  Need to find a sling.  May make due with a 1907 sling
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:13:16 PM »
IF you have all th emetal parts, it is almost insultingly simple for a leathermaker or any saddle shop to reproduce a milspec sling ...

I have a Model 98 Brazilian Mauser (7X57 MM) that I had a sling made when I restored it.

It is my bane and my pride at the same time ... for the person who took my order was Mr. Silvera himself ... who was the last employee of the Visalia Saddle Company ... his sardonic smile was lost on me, and he was such a perfect gentleman that I neve knew his history until another leathermaker told me in hushed tones just what had transpired ... that John Wayne and others had saddles made by him .... of course, by the time I learned he was gone and another icon that connected me to the West was no longer with us ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 12:56:02 PM »
I would reccomend the 188:    http://www.turnersling.com/special-order-items.php
also: http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=3267&bc=no   great for the Phillipine for insurrection and Boxer Rebellion.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:32:06 PM »
Contacted Turners.  They cannot make a Krag Sling right now as they do not have the metal parts.  Guess if I find the parts they can cut the leather.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 09:54:55 PM »
Found a Krag Sling on E-bay India of all places.  Ships from New Jersey 25 bucks, we shall see.  In any case will have the metal parts if the sling sucks can always send turner the parts.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 02:19:48 PM »
Hmm.  Wonder if I got the last of their 1887 parts last year.  I'm sure its only temporary, they make a wonderful sling.  Would definatly reccomend the WPG web sling as well.  Odd though.  The 1887 is a very simple sling, only one hook and one button, and they're the same as used on the 1903/1907. The biggest problem with the 1887 is its a one piece sling, thus you need a long piece of leather.  I'd guess they must not be making any leather slings right now.  Probably a contractor problem. 

Or the person answering the phone did'nt understand the question.  I get a lot of that when dealing with this era.    ::)

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 03:12:27 PM »
Hmm.  Wonder if I got the last of their 1887 parts last year.  I'm sure its only temporary, they make a wonderful sling.  Would definatly reccomend the WPG web sling as well.  Odd though.  The 1887 is a very simple sling, only one hook and one button, and they're the same as used on the 1903/1907. The biggest problem with the 1887 is its a one piece sling, thus you need a long piece of leather.  I'd guess they must not be making any leather slings right now.  Probably a contractor problem. 

Or the person answering the phone did'nt understand the question.  I get a lot of that when dealing with this era.    ::)

When I checked with Turner's some time back the problem seemed to be getting the leather to make a sling that long.

liten

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »
hey COME on now troopers and CAPTS!! WE DONT DO OUT OF INDIA IN HERE!! U.S MADE ONLY >:(

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 06:25:15 PM »
Website Ebay of India,  shipped from NEW JERSEY.  Probably from S&S.  Pay attention.  And if no one else has it, you do what you have to do.   

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 06:41:07 PM »
Website Ebay of India,  shipped from NEW JERSEY.  Probably from S&S.  Pay attention.  And if no one else has it, you do what you have to do.   

The "Arsenal of Democracy" is no more. :'(

liten

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »
yer no wonder theres a  depression 

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 08:12:02 PM »
Hey, If the sling sucks as I think it will, Turners will get the metal, so they can make a US made sling.  Guess there is not enough of a market to get Turners to hire a machine shop with a screw machine to spit out brass buttons made from 3/8 to 1/2 Inch round stock.

If I had a lathe and someone sent me the dimensions of the button, I could probably make my own.  Might be able to do it with a drill press and a file, using my vise as a tool rest.    One would think the 07 Hook would be close enough.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 08:44:12 PM »
Slings and pictures showing differences http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/US_Slings.htm

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 10:52:06 PM »
I've got one from S&S, it 's not made from one long piece of leather, but two pieces sewn together. Unfortunately, when I want to adjust the sling for carrying on my shoulder, the best adjustment seems to put the joint right in the middle of the sling loop. It also seems to be a bit too orange in color, and in one spot the holes pairs of holes aren't even.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »
Just received the shipping notice.  It is coming from Sarco.  Who Knew??

When I got home down loaded the tracking number e-mail.  Sling should arrive 17 Feb, will let you know what I think of it.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 12:18:40 AM »
Update on the Rolling Block.  It looks brand new.  The bore is hurt your eyes shiney. No obvious nicks or scratches.  The wood is really nice especially nice figure near the but plate.  The heavy octagon barrel is just that very heavy..  Balances nicely just forward of the receiver.  If it were the 28 - 32 inch heavy barrel I would have pulled the butt plate and leaded the stock for counter balance.

The dies also arrived from Cabela's (free shipping with in store pick up)  Need to load up some rounds.  Received Black Dag Bullets from Powder inc  335 grainers and 405s spg lubed 50 of each to test today as well.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 11:03:38 AM »
For anyone interested, I have a .50/56 Rolling Block Carbine for sale in the Classifieds.  I'll send pictures to whoever wants them.  Just send an e-mail or IM to me.

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com