Author Topic: Armistice Day...  (Read 10209 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Armistice Day...
« on: November 10, 2009, 11:31:53 PM »
Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae was assigned as the Surgeon to the Canadian First Field Artillery Brigade.

He had served during the Boer War, and was no stranger to hardship and carnage, but the fighting in the Ypres Salient was so horrendous, that it caused him to write this as a sort of release, after he'd just buried a friend.

It was penned at the Dressing Station on the banks of the Canal de l'Yser.

Dissatisfied with it, McCrae tossed the poem away, but a fellow officer retrieved it and sent it to
newspapers in England.

'The Spectator', in London, rejected it, but 'Punch' published it on 8 December 1915.

He died while on active service on the 28 day of January, 1918.

Before his death, he wrote:

'In Flander's fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses, row on row.
That mark our place; and in the sky,
The larks, still bravely singing, fly,
Scarce heard amidst the guns below.

We are the Dead.
Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved;
and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe!
To you from failing hands, we throw the torch.
Be yours to lift it high.
If ye break faith with those who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies blow
In Flanders fields.

After the Great War, this poem was read at Armistice Day gatherings, celebrating the end of the 'War to End All Wars', on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

Like Decoration Day - it was a time for reflection and for cleaning the gravestones of loved ones.

Then - some bright soul decided that - since folks were generally all off work - that they could also use their time to buy things - and they could buy even 'more' things and go places to spend money if they combined a couple of days set aside by a grateful Nation to honor their war dead, and re-named them to call them 'Veteran's Day' - and thus - the four-day weekend was born.

Go - buy stuff, and enjoy yourself - but in between trips to the mall - swing by the cemetary and take just a couple of minutes to tell someone 'Thanks'.

They'll appreciate the gesture.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
Re: Armistice Day...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 02:22:15 AM »
St George,

As a kid (around 9-10), my father was stationed at Toul Rosieres AFB in France

So I did the tourist thing with my parents .... St Mihel, Verdun, the works.

But a single place changed how I felt about war and soldiers.

There was a row of bayonets piercing the ground, surrounded by WWI concertina wire.

But to understand this, one must go back to WWI and imagine the horrors of life in the trenches.

Imagine a squad about to 'go over the top' ... and as they stood there in the near-frozen water at the bottom of the trench, soaked by the weeks-long continuous rain, they must have wondered how many of them would be returning, and wether that group would include the persons wondering.

Just before they were to go over the top, the weeks of rain finally had the most gruesome of effects.  The trench walls gave way, and swallowed up the poor soldiers in the nearly liquid mud. The soldiers must have drowned in the mud that closed in over them, and burdened down by their equipment and long rifles with their bayonets attached, could not escape.

Back to 1959 when I was there ... all that was left visible was a row of rusting bayonets ... but the awful truth was that under each of those bayonets was a soldier, somebody's son, waiting to go over the top.
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Top Kick Ken

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oscar S. Johnson, GAR, My Great Grandfather.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 05:17:22 AM »
I find that I prefer the term Armistice day to Veteran's Day.  Armistice Day brings so many memories of my Grandfather and my Great Uncles.  My Grandfather, Ralph W. Johnson (Quite possibly the most fascinating person I have ever known) was born in San Francisco, the son of the man whose picture you see as my avatar here.  After serving on many sailing vessels working the lumber, coal and wool trade between the US and Australia, he also served in the British Royal Navy on HMS Fantome (A survey vessel) prior to WWI and joined the Australian Army sometime fairly soon after war was declared.  My Grandfather enlisted in the Australian Army under an assumed name (because he was an American citizen). 

He trained "in the shade of the Pyramids" and he participated in the Gallipolli Campaign as a member of a Light Horse Regiment.  He later went on to fight at Flanders and in the 3rd Battle of Ypres.  I saw the scars on his hand where he was wounded attempting to throw a German grenade back out of his trench at the Germans who had thrown it at him.  When it was found out that he was American, he was released from service and the Australian government confiscated his Service Medals and sent him on his way.  The only item he was allowed to keep was a "For King and Country, Services Rendered" Pin.  I have yet to find any matches in the Australian Archives for him...but I keep looking.

He had two brothers that served in the US military during WWI, with one of them suffering the effects of mustard gas for the rest of his life.  I was honored to know them and call them family...unfortunately, I have found very little concrete information about their service.  Hopefully my latest requests for information from the National Archives will be more successful. 

I just recently found a single WWI "Pass/Liberty" document granted for a Great Uncle on the other side of my family.  I doubt anyone in the family (aside from his twin brother and parents) ever knew he had ever served(He never mentioned anything about serving to anyone that I know of)...I was stunned to say the least.  All of this is now very tantalizing and clues for further research.  He worked for Pathe Films during the 1940's as a CPA and I found letters from the studios requesting an exemption from service in WWII due to his importance to the war effort as an employee of the studio.   

As a young child of 7-9 years of age seeing the scars on my Grandfather's hand and seeing his hand shake as he showed it to me; seeing the yellow fluid that my Great Uncle would cough up so many times at family get-togethers during the holidays made a very distinct impression on me about the sacrifices made by those who answer the call. 

To all who have sacrificed some and the few (too many) that sacrificed all, I salute you and your service!
Respectfully Submitted,

Top Kick Ken
Sergeant Major, Department of the Pacific
Grand Army of the Frontier

GAF #71
BOLD #943
SASS #47880L

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:44:52 PM »

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 05:55:26 AM »
Here's another vote for Armistice Day, and a celebration of the end of the tremendous carnage of that war.

Fascinating stories, folks. Thanks.

I don't have much to contribute. My grandad on mom's side was a doughboy.  I was pretty young when he died and I never learned much about his service in the Great War.  I clearly remember a few souvenirs: his gas mask with pale deposits/smudges in the corners of the glass lenses that he said was mustard gas; a piece of metal in his finger that was never removed; and a German spiked helmet made of canvas and leather with a small bullet hole in the side. 

I need to do more research and try to track down his records....
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 06:29:11 AM »
Thank You St. George, for your service!
Both for the service you do for the GAF in posting such outstanding historical pieces and your uniformed service to our nation!
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 08:21:46 AM »
Thanks to all the Vets. Enjoy your special Day.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 09:46:59 AM »
Thanks to all the Vets. Enjoy your special Day.

Amen.

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 05:02:18 PM »
God Bless All of you Veterans!  You've  been on my mind all day!  Thank You for Our FREEDOM!

USA

Yeti 76620
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »
I just watched a viewing of the National Film Board production of LCOL John McCrae's biography.  I have purchased my poppy and the lead up to Armistice Day is well begun.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 02:04:05 PM »
"They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old;

age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn..

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning

we will remember them."

http://www.firstworldwar.com/poetsandprose/binyon.htm

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 01:58:18 PM »
its here again.   This time the date is 11/11/11.

This year I will attend my son's unit commemoration in England on 13 Nov 11

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 02:33:18 PM »
Interesting numerical order for this year...
The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, this year it is also the 11th year. If I understand it correctly, this won't happen again til 2111!
Best regards and thanks to all those that are serving, have served and those that have passed on, giving all.
'Ol Gabe

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 03:47:23 PM »
We could wait till the 11th second of 11th minute of that hour to make our remeberance
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 12:36:43 AM »
It is a day that we all ought to think aboout the sacrifices those that stood before us made.
We are having a formation that day to promote a very worthy SPC (E4) to SGT.
There will be several troops swearing the oath, extending their enlistments.
And we will pin aircrew wings on our door gunners, too. 
It will be at 11:11 on 11-11-11 in front of aircraft #111.
It will be pretty memorable because we are in Kandahar.

Congratulations, SGT Maurer!

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »
Way cool
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 11:27:23 PM »
November 11 is "Remembrance Day" in Canada and the rest of the British Commonwealth.  In this country, for weeks leading up to that day, people wear  lapel poppies ....

Remembrance Day ceremonies are held in communities across the country, with the Minute of Silence occurring  at the 11th hour -

This is the Cenotaph at Medicine Hat:

Some pictures i took on a rather chilly Remembrance Day -

Prior to the ceremony -

During the wreath laying portion of the ceremony -

The nearby Sherman tank commemorating our local WWII unit - The South Alberta Regiment (29th Armoured Recconaissance Regiment, 4th Canadian Armoured Division) -
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 11:52:34 AM »
The Sherman Tank brought memories back ...

When I was about ten I was an AF Brat stationed with my Father in Phalsbourg AFB .... about 1960.

Each day when I returned home I passed a Sherman that had been hit by THREE Panzer rounds through the turret (sp?) ...

The armament in the turret didn't slow the Panzer rounds down much ...the thru holes left still bore the rifling of the Panzer shells ... both on the entrance and the exit holes ( I know; I made my Dad stop and I felt the holes myself). I would imagine the crew would be killed by the impact alone ....

I am hoping that 'They never knew what hit them' was a reality ... God bless anyone who paid the price .... or even stood a watch ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 01:17:05 PM »
This morning I attended a program given by the second graders at the elementary school where my youngest grandchild (kindergartener) attends.  The second grade kids put on a beautiful singing performance, including everyone reciting the Pledge of Allegance, National Anthem, America the Beautiful and God Bless America.  They also sang the service song for (in order youngest service to oldest) each major service, asking veterans and active service personnel in the audience to stand for his/her song. The place was packed, and it was really stirring. So glad to see this, as it a real effort to inspire patriotism in our youngsters.

To all of you who served, and those unable to answer the roll call, thanks and Godspeed. God Bless America!

Your obdt servant,
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 02:47:21 AM »
I took part in the ceremony for Remembrance Sunday in the town of Farnham, where my son's company is located.  I fell in with the Old Boys from the British Legion.  I was made quite welcome.  We had a few "change steps" as the civilian band had a poor bass drummer that wouldn't know how to keep a pace if he stepped on it!  Despite that, us old soldiers soon fell into the pace properly.  Its something you never forget.  Once a soldier, always a soldier.  For cap badge collectors it was quite a show. A reflection of the old Empire.  In the armoury later, over curry, another souvenir of Empire, I heard some grumbling over "what has England come to", as well as the obvious pleasure and camaradarie of the day.  The full time officer at the company is a Ghurka officer!

The church service stressed peace, as is appropriate as this is not a day to glorify war.  160 million deaths in wars during the 20th Century, mostly civilians!

I heard a new poem at the Cenotaph.  graphic, but a bit too jingoistic for me;

1914 V: The Soldier by Rupert Brooke

If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's, breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 10:19:38 AM »
"They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old;

age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn..

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning

we will remember them."

http://www.firstworldwar.com/poetsandprose/binyon.htm

For The Fallen always make me want to cry.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com