Author Topic: What is this tool?  (Read 3255 times)

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
What is this tool?
« on: October 14, 2020, 05:28:08 PM »
Came across this tool today while searching for something else . Do not know what it is for or. Hoping someone on this site will recognize it— looks cool!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: What is this tool?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 06:02:46 PM »
I see a sprocket spanner tool   ...I think its a vintage combo tool for a bicycle
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 09:03:46 PM »
Vintage automobile tool? Model "A" or "T"?
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:54:02 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 09:54:13 AM »

:)  Oh Cummon Guys   ;)

Most everyone should recognize a Thingamajig Whatzit.  Sheesh.  So Simple even a Caveman ............

(Snicker)

(Snicker)

(Snicker)

Offline 38OVI

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 08:37:55 PM »
Not a tool for a Model T  or  A, looks sort of a water pump wrench, but too many other slots, etc., to be for one of those vehicles. I have one each for my T and A Models, and they do not look like this one.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 11:45:38 PM »
38OVI and Im2bent, you just damaged my perfectly good wild guess, pulled out of a very respectable hat obtained from thin air . . .

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 08:46:17 AM »

:(  Me Too RCJ   :)  Me Too.

I'm crushed I tell ya.  Just smashed to the turf as it twer.  But and however, betting against the Major is mostly a loosing preposition.

Live Long and Prosper

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 12:50:52 PM »
Well, now that Major did the heavy lifting, I'm seeing a bottom bracket maintenance tool for an english or french bicycle.  It has a spanner to remove the bottom bracket bearing retainer rings, a crank retainer bolt 'socket' (the square hole), a tapered fork for forcing the cranks off the crankshaft, a serrated fitting for holding the main shaft (which is splined) or chasing the splines to clean them, and a pedal bolt wrench at the top end.  Sometimes splined crankshafts would have opposing flats inboard of the cranks, which might explain the wrench-like fitting at the bottom of the 'fork'.  This tool would have to be supplemented with a hammer, so it is unlikely it was intended for carrying on the bike.

(addendum:  Only the least expensive bicycles use this kind of construction today.  But, this type of crank used to be practically universal.)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 02:44:45 PM »
....Marshall did the heavy lifting  ???

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 05:05:52 PM »
....Marshall did the heavy lifting  ???

Oops!!!  Sorry.  Corrected.   

This is why I never get invited back anywhere!

All the best.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 06:59:35 PM »
Well, coincidence.  I was hunting for a magnet bar for tools amongst my junque, and in a plastic tool box of box end wrenches I bought 25 years ago at a garage sale I found a multi-tool that is very similar to the ones shown and linked.   I had no idea it was in there.  :)  You'd think the manufacturers might stamp some ID on them, but I guess they save a few cents by not.

Offline Claypipe

• Mighty Cautious
  • Very Active Citizen
  • They're not dead, till there's one in the head.
    • Medieval Gonne Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 11:54:59 AM »
Came across this tool today while searching for something else . Do not know what it is for or. Hoping someone on this site will recognize it— looks cool!

I can't put my finger on it. But, it seems that I have seen this spanner before. It falls somewhere in either Machine gun or Bicycle repair category. Definitely vintage with that square nut hole.

As for the lack of markings, for Bicycle, yes it was to save on production cost, tooling up a stamp was costly even then. For machine gun production, it too was to save on production cost, but also to preserve national secrets and prevent against sabotage and factory bombings.

Automotive and Cast Iron stove multi tools were made generally of cast steel aka fluid steel tor forged steel.
Vergiss nie heimat wo deine Wiege stand Du findest in der fremde kein zweites heimalland

Never forget home where your cradle was. You won't find a second home country in a foreign country

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com