Author Topic: Dance Bro Question  (Read 4706 times)

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
Dance Bro Question
« on: March 28, 2021, 10:55:19 AM »
I have read where the Dance Bro revolvers are kind of a cross between a Dragoon and a 51 Navy.

When I see the reproduction Dance Bro revolvers they are always done on a 51 frame but when I look at the photos of real Dance Bro guns they look more like Dragoons.

My question is; If making one of these would I be closer to the original to use a Dragoon revolver as my donor gun or a 51 Navy?

"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Dance Bro Question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 02:41:10 PM »
Size wise, I think the originals were smaller than a Dragoon but larger than a '51 Navy. I guess the question is what size do you want to end up with?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 02:43:08 AM »
There were two models back then: the rare .36 Navy (Colt Navy size) and the more common .44 Dragoon (don't know about the size)
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:09:10 PM »

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 08:30:17 AM »
Size wise, I think the originals were smaller than a Dragoon but larger than a '51 Navy. I guess the question is what size do you want to end up with?

The obvious choice is the 51 size due to its readily availability. It was just something I have been mulling over since the originals seem to have the look of a Dragoon. Or at least some of them I see do. Some do look more like 51s also. Maybe the two different calibers were two different sizes?

Since they are so rare it's kind of hard to get a feel for them.

I will likely go the 51 route though.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 09:07:46 AM »
I look forward to seeing how your project turns out.

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 09:30:54 AM »
I look forward to seeing how your project turns out.

I will def. post once it gets underway.

I have read where the Dance Bros revolver was not approved for SASS due to the possibility of chain fire from the rear. I assume they think this because of no recoil shield. To those who shoot these, does that seem to be a real concern? This will not be a SASS gun for me. More of just something I want.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 09:38:58 AM »
Project gun for this Dance Navy was a Uberti Colt 1851 Navy from 1976 (AB).
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 10:14:12 AM »

I have read where the Dance Bros revolver was not approved for SASS due to the possibility of chain fire from the rear. I assume they think this because of no recoil shield. To those who shoot these, does that seem to be a real concern? This will not be a SASS gun for me. More of just something I want.
If that's a concern, you could always put a conversion cylinder in it.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 11:09:36 AM »

Don't know where you read that, and don't know if chain fire is more possible or not, but SASS has no restrictions on the Dance.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 11:26:01 AM »
 :)  BATTER UP!!  ;)

OK, I wrote a really swell answer to this about an hour and a half ago.  It disappeared into the ether . . . POOF!!  Anyway:

FIRST UP:  PLUS ONE to Abilene.  There is absolutely NO SASS RESTRICTION on a Dance.  I doubt the ruling junta at SASS even know what a Dance is.  As a point of fact, TWO of my Main Match SNUBBIES are built from 1862 DANCE 44s.

The Original Dance & Bros. guns were a very close copy of the Colt 1851.  The only  relationship to the Dragoon being the half round barrel assembly.  There are a couple of ways to get a Dance.  A).  When supply catches back up, buy one or a couple from Pietta.   B).   Build your own.  Start with and 1851, Make it a Flat Side (lots of work),  then round off the 1851 Barrel (lots more work) and PRESTO CHANGEO you have a Dance.  Don't forget the front sight.  I don't remember off hand, it Pietta make a half round barrel for 1851 but they do make a Dance barrel assembly.  Go for It

Stay Safe Out There

PS:  I JUST FIX'D THIS.  THERE ARE NO SASS RESTRICTIONS ON A DANCE!! 

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 01:44:30 PM »
Don't know where you read that, and don't know if chain fire is more possible or not, but SASS has no restrictions on the Dance.

Somewhere on the web. Maybe it was wrong info. Seems so.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 01:45:31 PM »
If that's a concern, you could always put a conversion cylinder in it.

Not a concern of mine per say. I was just asking since I read it on the net and have no personal experience with a Dance replica myself.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 01:46:33 PM »
:)  BATTER UP!!  ;)

OK, I wrote a really swell answer to this about an hour and a half ago.  It disappeared into the ether . . . POOF!!  Anyway:

FIRST UP:  PLUS ONE to Abilene.  There is absolutely SASS RESTRICTION on a Dance.  I doubt the ruling junta at SASS even know what a Dance is.  As a point of fact, TWO of my Main Match SNUBBIES are built from 1862 DANCE 44s.

The Original Dance & Bros. guns were a very close copy of the Colt 1851.  The only  relationship to the Dragoon being the half round barrel assembly.  There are a couple of ways to get a Dance.  A).  When supply catches back up, buy one or a couple from Pietta.   B).   Build your own.  Start with and 1851, Make it a Flat Side (lots of work),  then round off the 1851 Barrel (lots more work) and PRESTO CHANGEO you have a Dance.  Don't forget the front sight.  I don't remember off hand, it Pietta make a half round barrel for 1851 but they do make a Dance barrel assembly.  Go for It

Stay Safe Out There

Thanks for the reply. Glad to know that there are no SASS restrictions. I have seen a few good threads on here of people converting their 51s. Lots of good info.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2021, 01:47:07 PM »
Project gun for this Dance Navy was a Uberti Colt 1851 Navy from 1976 (AB).
Long Johns Wolf

Long Johns Wolf, that thing is gorgeous and one of the main reasons I want one. 

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2021, 05:26:46 PM »

:)  Sir Burrows   ;)

I also forgot to mention (memory of a Gnat).  My Dance 7 Bros. SNUBBIES were built from PIETTA 1862 DANCE "OLD SILVER" guns.  Take a moment and peruse EMF for the 1862 Dance Old Silver.  Laser Engraved and the High Polish Heat Treat steel of the frame looks like Stainless or Silver Plate.  The Cylinder is also un-rebated and is shorter than a more common 44 Cylinder.  Absolutely looks the Biz.

I once had Major Two post Tin Types of my Dance pair.  I think.  Gnat memory again, if not, I can ask him to post again.  Think I'll Do dat anyway.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2021, 05:52:57 PM »
:)  Sir Burrows   ;)

I also forgot to mention (memory of a Gnat).  My Dance 7 Bros. SNUBBIES were built from PIETTA 1862 DANCE "OLD SILVER" guns.  Take a moment and peruse EMF for the 1862 Dance Old Silver.  Laser Engraved and the High Polish Heat Treat steel of the frame looks like Stainless or Silver Plate.  The Cylinder is also un-rebated and is shorter than a more common 44 Cylinder.  Absolutely looks the Biz.

I once had Major Two post Tin Types of my Dance pair.  I think.  Gnat memory again, if not, I can ask him to post again.  Think I'll Do dat anyway.

You Did !  t'was here >  https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=57433.60

Reply #67

but no problemo , here you go again  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2021, 11:30:48 PM »
Goodness those are nice.  :o
 Thanks for posting them for him.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 08:14:53 AM »
If you can find one, I am a big plus 1 on the Pietta Dance.  It was a graduation present to myself and I really like it.

Offline Smokey Dave

• STORM #445
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 107837
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 10:58:32 AM »
Creating a Dance is a worthwhile endeavor. Specially if you want one that is closest to an original. I have excerpts from the Dance book around here somewhere. I'll dig for it. But the book says that the .36 caliber guns were basically a 51 Navy copy, with a round barrel. The .44 caliber guns (the most common) were in-between a Navy and Dragoon in size. Closer to a Dragoon, with a shorter frame and cylinder.

I created mine from a beat up old G.U. and hand tools. I used the drill press to turn the barrel round, and various grinders and files to remove the recoil shields. It's a sweaty old girl, but looks the part.

From this:

To this:

Looking forward to seeing your project come together.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
-Abe Lincoln

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 12:42:40 PM »
Dave nailed it for you. I'll add one thing, there are just a few examples of Dances with octagonal barrels. Like maybe 3. You could always turn the barrel at a future time if you didn't feel like tackling it initially. I do like the round barrels better but octagonal is not incorrect.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com