Author Topic: Sharps, Spencer, Burnside Carbine Serial Numbers  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Peachey Carnehan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sharps, Spencer, Burnside Carbine Serial Numbers
« on: December 18, 2019, 08:12:07 PM »
Hi all,

My uncle's been assembling a nice little collection of military carbines over the past year or so, and he's passed along the serial numbers to me. My google-fu is a little weak, and I'm seeing some info in blocks around the numbers, but no hits as far as anything like proofhouse. Some of the reference books are unfortunately astronomically expensive on Amazon and eBay. Any chance anyone would have any data for these?

Spencer Carbine, Serial #56319

Burnside Carbine, Serial #17916

Sharps Carbine, Serial #9913, stamps on the side note patent dates of 1852 and 1859. I believe that his friend told him this one was traced to the 10th Illinois Cavalry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, or a link to where to find info would be great too!

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Sharps, Spencer, Burnside Carbine Serial Numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 12:01:09 AM »
Drop on down to the Spencer Shooting Society, Two Flints has an extensive library of serial # references.  Come back here for the shootin'!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Peachey Carnehan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 07:42:22 PM »
Thanks!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:08:30 AM »

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 10:41:27 AM »
If you're talking about a true Burnside carbine with serial number 17916, and not a Burnside-made Spencer, my resources don't show a match but show the following as the three closest numbers:

17895 held by Co. C, 12th New York Volunteer Cavalry, on September 15, 1863
  17903 held by Co. I , 4th Wisconsin Volunteer Cavalry, in August 1864 and on October 1, 1864 (two entries)
  17914 held by Co. C, 12th New York Volunteer Cavalry, on September 15, 1863

Most of the Burnsides for which I have info that fall in the serial number range between 16,500 through 19,000 are listed with the 12th New York Volunteer Cavalry or the 4th Wisconsin Volunteer Cavalry.

I adopt Two Flints' serial number disclaimer--the serial numbers I provided may mean nothing other than some of the Burnside carbines made at about the same time as yours were in the possession of the listed units.  Since I am relying on research done by others and have not verified the original sources, I cannot truly vouch for any of the information.

--DJ

Offline Peachey Carnehan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 08:55:36 PM »
Yep, Burnside Carbine, not the Burnside made Spencer. Thank you so much for the info, that's awesome, and I'll pass it along. He'll be excited for your info on the serial numbers around it. Thank you again!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com