Author Topic: Reloading on the clock--cartridge boxes  (Read 2451 times)

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Reloading on the clock--cartridge boxes
« on: June 05, 2006, 04:11:38 PM »
The SASS rule on cartridge pouches states:  "Pouches shall have a flap and must carry their contents loose, with no special provision to organize the contents for rapid retrieval."  Does that mean an original-style civil war carbine cartridge box with the wooden block drilled to hold spare cartridges cannot be used?  Or is a cartidge box not considered a "pouch?"  Or is a drilled wooden block maybe not considered a "special provision"? 

You'd think it wouldn't make any difference, since my Spencer keeps me slow enough that I don't win anything.  And most people seem to enjoy the sight (but not the smell) of me shooting it.  But you'd be surprised how the sagebrush lawyers seem to materialize whenever they see something different.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Reloading on the clock--cartridge boxes
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 12:00:12 AM »
You've guessed aright the first time, the wooden insert is not allowed.  Just take it out and fill it with loose cartridges.  Just as fast or faster to grab a handful. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Bead Swinger

• Bead Swinger
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Evans New Model
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spencer Boxes (WAS Re: Reloading on the clock--cartridge boxes)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 10:40:09 AM »
OK -
I'm really new to  this, and haven't yet managed to get out to a SASS shoot to observe.

So, by SASS rules, I am NOT allowed to use
1) a period reproduction 6- or 10-tube Blakeslee cartridge box (I have a 10-tube one), or
2) the Cav-style box with a wooden insert, or even
3) The square-ish box that came with the rifles that held six cardboard 7-shot containers.  This is how the cartridges came from the factory - boxes of 42 in six cardboard 'strips' (at least that's what I remember seeing at Gunshows, and in Marcot's book). I don't have either of these boxes, but I have built several factory-style cardboard ones for when I did reenacting.

I find this really odd. These are all very period, were very available, and pretty safe (esp. the latter two). Just using the rounds straight from the factory box is significantly easier than loose shells.  The cardboard is even what they call for in the 1st OH Sharpshooter Manual for the Spencer (c.f. Roy Marcot's book).

I guess I'm disappointed.  Any of the three sure would be really stylish, and certainly 100% accurate.

Bead Swinger
1860 Rifle SN 23954

Advertising

Re: Reloading on the clock--cartridge boxes
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:45:15 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com