Author Topic: Why the difference in case rim size for the 56-50 taylors from originals?  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
So, the 56-50 from Taylors is one size (0.610") and the 56-Spencer is another (0.660").

Why was the 56-50 designed with the smaller size for the rim?

Is it because it is based off of 348Win or because they didn't want folks chambering 56 Spencer (rim fire) ammo in the Taylors?

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Could be to preclude using obsolete ammo in it, it could be the size designed for the magazine tube, could be just easier to make reloading equipment, could be Starline's idea--- ad infinitum.
French Jack

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
If I remember my conversationj with Ken at Ten X when I was writing the first article about 4 or 5 years ago or so: Ken did the design on the 56-50 for TMMY AT TAYLORS.  He did it .512 to make it undersized for originals. It was to prevent blow ups if modern ammo was introduced into converted originals. I.E.  Someone took one of Ken's very Hot (1300FPS) smokeless loads and put it in a converted 1865 with a .515 to .520 bore, the .512 will have little resistance headed down the bore and will not build up the excessive pressure (for the originaL, NOT THE REPLICA).
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

Harve Curry

I can understand the bore/groove being a smaller diameter, for the reasons you state and also our goverments law about anything over a .50 caliber cartridge being a Class 3 destructive device.

But why would Ken reduce the Rim diameter??
That really fouled up alot of brass sales to us original shooters.

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Dakota,
It can't be based off the .348 as I have a shell plate for my Dillon and the Starline 56-50 will not fit that one.  I think the idea of modern ammo in old guns may be right

klw

I know that Lyman based their original reloading dies on drawings that Taylor supplied and brass based on cut-down 50-70 cases.  When Starline came out with brass, those dies had to be rethought.

What I wonder is how many potential combinations there are here.  Brass could come, I suppose, from Buffalo ARms (formed from something), Rocky Mountain Cartridge, 50-70 cases, 348 winchester cases and maybe others like Bell or Bertrum.

I thought that it was also true that brass that works well in a Romano Gun may not work well in a Taylor.

Sure seems like a lot of potential combinations.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Actually, Kenny Howell of R&D fame supplied the chamber specs to Taylor's. This was told to me in January 2004 by Tammy when I got mine as she sent me copy of the factory spec sheet for the chamber. Personally, I believe it was because the original cases were literally all "over the map" as far as specs go. Look at Marcot's book & compare the different cartridges. It's a miracle they would hold "minute of Indian"!  ::)  Supposedly, Starline was to make a limited run of original spec brass for owners of originals, but that as of yet has not happened.

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
I understand the issues of the bullet size, which makes sense.

But, the rims are what I don't understand.

The 56-50 Taylors is actually SMALLER than the 50-70 used in the Sharps carbines.

I guess, "Only the Shadow knows...."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com