Author Topic: 44-40 Spencer, cont.  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
44-40 Spencer, cont.
« on: January 09, 2006, 12:09:50 PM »
Howdy to the camp,

Boy, I sure love this 44-40 Spencer. 

They infantry rifle is a keeper, though I will probably only use it for Plainsmen a(single loading) and longe range lever.  With the added barrel length and weight, I think the 56-50 will be too much for almost all main match rifle targets. 

They 44-40 Spencer, however, is a peach.  I continued to get cloverleaf patterns at 25 yards with Black Hills factory.  I can't wait to load some BP loads.  I plan on using it at the next match I go to (maybe next week end at Murietta).  The Spencer, with a .44 Russian Model and an 1860 Richards-Mason and I should be stylin'!

I have sent Tammy at Taylor's some functioning dummies made from black hills 44-40 ammo.  They are going to use them to check and make sure the problem I had was a "one only".
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 44-40 Spencer, cont.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 06:17:32 PM »
TL
What problems did you have?
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 09:14:22 AM »
Howdy,

When I got it, it worked flawlessly until the last rounnd.  It did not go quite far enough into the action because the spring tension on the guide finger (?)  was too tight.  The first 6 had enough spring tension from the magazine to overcome the guide tension just enough so it would feed.  The last round did not have enough push behind it.  I solved it by clipping one or two coils off the guide spring, and it works great now.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:49:10 AM »

klw

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 10:20:06 AM »
At least within my experience, if all but the last round chamber easily then the total overall cartridge length is off by just a hair.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com