Author Topic: Spencer Model 1860 # 5801  (Read 848 times)

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spencer Model 1860 # 5801
« on: April 26, 2023, 04:59:44 PM »

Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Spencer Model 1860 # 5801
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 05:29:07 PM »
Thank you for sharing that!

I'm particularly fond of Spencer rifles (versus carbines) and have a reproduction Model 1865 rifle in .56-.50, which I acquired specifically because, of the very limited production of only about 3,000 full-length rifles of that model, fully 2,000 made their way to Canada for issue to units of the Canadian Militia (along with a number of Spencer carbines and other American-made breechloaders) during the Fenian Raids into Canada, which started in 1866 …

Here is a Rifleman of the Queen's Own Rifles (one of the Militia units issued with Spencer rifles) alongside a picture of my repro Spencer …
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline El Tio Loco

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 02:18:22 PM »
Hello Jack,
 I am fond of the rifles over the carbines as well. 
What did you have to do to fit a bayonet?  Looks great!
Ken

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:05:56 PM »

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 06:23:39 PM »
What did you have to do to fit a bayonet?  Looks great!

Ken,  The bayonet is one of the relatively inexpensive reproduction socket bayonets for the Pattern 1853 Enfield rifle (such as are sold by American Civil War Sutlers and such.)  I had to reshape the opening through which the foresight passes, to accomodate the higher sight base block and blade. To make the socket fit snugly on the slightly smaller diameter barrel, I squashed it slightly out of round and then puddled some soft solder inside the socket which I dressed down as needed to snug the socket up on the barrel.  (I may have needed to modify  the zigzag socket channel and/or locking ring, but actually don't recall …  so, if that was necessary, it wasn't a very memorable amount of further modification!)

Note that the crown of the muzzle does not come out flush with the end of the bayonet socket … As you may be aware, one of the "inaccuracies" of the Armisport reproductions is that the foresight is positioned a little too close to the muzzle compared to the originals, as can be seen in this comparison of an original Canadian-purchase Model 1865 Spencer rifle (top) with my Armisport reproduction.  (Another obvious difference is the somewhat incorrect spacing of the barrel bands.) 

If the foresight of my repro were actually back where it should be, permitting the bayonet socket to seat further back on the barrel, I believe this bayonet would have fit better … i.e. would have required a bit less modification to make the socket fit snugly, and would also probably have fit far enough back that the crown of the muzzle would come to the end of the socket. 

I considered repositioning the foresight more correctly, but such a modification would have been beyond my extremely modest gunsmithing skill level and, since it would likely have left the barrel marred … or in need of being re-blued ... I ultimately decided against doing that. (In most situations, of course, the bayonet will simply be in the scabbard, anyway.)   
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 06:52:56 PM »
Ken -

Offline El Tio Loco

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 07:32:41 AM »
Thanks Rattlesnake Jack for the complete explanation on mounting a bayonet on a repro Spencer. 
I didn’t mean to highjack a thread on the fascinating YouTube video of the Wilder’s Spencer, great post!
Ken

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 01:34:29 PM »
... I guess we are both guilty of a bit of highjacking …  :-\

I should add that, based on the above articles, I assume that a repro US socket bayonet (Model 1855?) should also work … perhaps even better …  I used the Enfield bayonet because it is what I had on hand.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com