Author Topic: Winter Musing  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Glenn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winter Musing
« on: December 22, 2005, 11:22:53 PM »
Decided to reveal a deep dark Spencer related fantasy.  Many years ago I discovered that the Remington RB Navy Pistol fires a cartridge that is very close in size to a 56-56.  If the darned things weren't so expensive....  That would have to be the coolest, a RB pistol in 56-56.  "you only got a 50 cal ?" 

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1636
Re: Winter Musing
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 05:32:17 PM »
   Greetings!

I think the Remington RB Pistol in .50 is one of the neatest pistols... It was first chambered for a squat rimfire cartridge; COTW {For what it's worth} says 290gr. bullet/ 23gr. powder; the later centerfires were pretty much the same. I believe that there were two slightly different CF cartridges.
 I recall seeing an early ad for surplus RB Pistols that had their chambers recut to .50-70 dimensions, so that the owner could shoot either the .50 Army cartridge, or the .50-70 cartridge loaded with shot for hunting or defense! I'd LOVE one of those... I keep haunting the antique gun lists & auction houses; you never know.
 SO... Who's going to make them for us?????

Be Well!

M. T. Marfield
                                         12-23-05

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 06:58:31 PM »
Yikes!!!

I heard tell of a Dragoon that was rechambered and timed to fit 56-52...I have no idea if it ever made it beyond "talk".

I think there was a break top (or "tip out", as they were called back then) single shot rifle like that.

Heck, a good old 28gauge (.550") shotgun could be sleeved to fit .515" bullets.

Now, there is an idea... a good ol fashioned double gun shooting 56-50...

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:46:35 PM »

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 06:31:35 AM »
The Remington RB pistol for the Navy was chambered for the 50 cal. Navy, aka 50 Springfield which was the original version of the 56-50.  It was later chambered for the 50-45, which was a longer cartridge chambered and developed for the Remington RB Carbine adopted by the Navy.  This simplified ammunition for the Navy.  The Army version of the Remington RB was chambered for a shorter round, the 50 Army, which is a more well known round.  I see a few 50 Army cartridges at shows, but rarely a 50 Cal. Navy.

At one time I owned a 50 Cal. Navy RB which worked with the 56-50 Spencer-- recoil was pretty stiff, and I imagine would have been pretty rough on someone with smaller hands.  It was certainly a stomper, though.  about like a 45 Colt on steroids.
French Jack

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 11:02:07 AM »
Sounds like a precoursor to the Tompson Center toys...

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 11:44:22 AM »
Now there's a thought.  Get TC to make you a special 56-50 barrel.  It wouldn't be period, but then... .  I'd rather have one of those than say something in .45-70 or worse!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com