Author Topic: Spencer Rifle Lube Question  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Spencer Rifle Lube Question
« on: November 21, 2005, 07:51:15 PM »
Just curious, as the Spencer rifle has a 30 in.(?) barrel will lube "runout" be a problem? That's ten more inches of friction & area folks. Will the Rapine 350-T "cut it"?  ???  Curious minds want to know. Somebody needs to test this.

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Spencer Rifle Lube Question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 11:53:47 PM »
The rapine has PLENTY of lube cavity for a 30in barrel.

It is very similar to the PRS bullets for 45lc and Mav Dutch bullets for 44-40 and snake-bite bullets for 357/38s.

I have fire the mav dutch bullets along side Lee .429 bullets from my pan lube method and neither one has gummed up after a 6 stage match.

You are only talking about 40-45gr of powder anyhow, which should not pose a problem.

I have experienced NO hard fouling in my 20" carbine with modiefied Lee bullets. And they only have 2 puny little lube groves.

The softer the lube, the less you will need.
The slower the bullet, the softer the lube.
The more the powder, the more the lube.
The heavier the bullet, the softer the lube.

So, you can roll your own, or, just use SPG. (SPG works pretty darn well...just don't care to pay the price for it)

Here is another lube that acts just like SPG, but, is not as temperature sensitive.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=689293

I have spoken to 2 shooters who use this in 45-70 and a 50-90 shooter and they both swear by it.
(even though they pan lube)

I am now mixing 1lb bees wax, 6oz bol-wax, 6oz crisco, 6oz canola oil and getting REALLY good results. Pan lubes REALLY nicely. (I have to heat it to 375 F for it all to melt together, then, I can pan lube at 300 F from then on)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 09:19:08 AM »
I have one of the first Rapine 350-T moulds as well as having had one of the first MAV .44 moulds from the first batch in 2002 and I beg to differ: the "Big Lube" series of pistol bullets have a far deeper lube groove than the Rapine. The Rapine lube groove is longer than it is deeper. Having fired many BP rounds out of a 30 in. barrel the lube matter quickly reaches "critical mass". We need someone with the new 56-50 rifle to "torture test" it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:17:19 AM »

Harve Curry

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 11:11:34 AM »
  I am now mixing 1lb bees wax, 6oz bol-wax, 6oz crisco, 6oz canola oil and getting REALLY good results. Pan lubes REALLY nicely. (I have to heat it to 375 F for it all to melt together, then, I can pan lube at 300 F from then on)
[/quote]

Sorry for the dumb question but what is bol-wax? What temperature is it solid again, 300F. ?

Thanks for the info, I'm always interested in lube recipes.

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 08:40:16 PM »
Here is what bol-wax looks like...

You want a #1, as it has no plastic inside ring...

One ring is about 6oz

Harve Curry

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 10:25:29 AM »
daa, as they say now a days :-[ I shoulda known.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com