Author Topic: Experimenting with loads this weekend  (Read 15759 times)

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Experimenting with loads this weekend
« on: March 13, 2014, 02:48:55 PM »
Loaded up 49 56-50 rounds for my original NM rifle.  Load data is as follows:
56-50 starline brass
30.1 gr (weight)/ 40gr (volume) 777 ff powder
Winchester Large Pistol Primers
Still shooting surplus Smith .515 350 gr bullets cast from WW (having a lee mold modified to try that)
Lube is 50-50 beeswax and coconut oil.
Overall length 1.6"

Seven of the rounds, I did something different.
All the above was the same, but I Powder Coated (my first attempt) ilo lube in the grooves.  3 of those seven I added a lube wafer behind the bullet.  Powder Coating cast bullets has been shown to behave similar to copper jackets using smokeless powders.  I will post pictures of my results at 50 yards on paper. 

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Experimenting with loads this weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 08:36:04 AM »
How hard is the powder coating?  Copper jacketed bullets are not recommended for the rifles of yesteryear because they can cause excessive wear in their soft barrels.  Is there some benefit to powder coating in old, low velocity rifles that good lube doesn't provide?   
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 08:53:05 AM »
good luck with the load.    take a look at my posts concerning my loads for my 56 50  original carbine, especially how things changed when I re-crowned the muzzle. 
    I tried many combinations, and have had luck with
    35 FFg, drop tubed, one veg wad and two paper over that, and Large Pistol Mag primers. 
    I cast a Lyman 350 with a little tin and hand SPG lube them without sizing...
      I'll watch your results, and go out myself IF IT EVER GETS WARM AGAIN IN NEW ENGLAND!!!!
     I get 2 to 3 inches at 50 yards....sometimes less, sometimes more, depending how my old ..er    eyes can see the target
     cycles like a dream.....
      ken

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:30:17 AM »

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
How hard is the powder coating?  Copper jacketed bullets are not recommended for the rifles of yesteryear because they can cause excessive wear in their soft barrels.  Is there some benefit to powder coating in old, low velocity rifles that good lube doesn't provide?   

Powder coating cast rounds has shown to eliminate leading and improve feeding particularly in autoloading pistols and rifles.  This could improve feeding issues that some have with their Spencers.  I am planning to shoot my spencer with traditionally lubed boolets.  This is just an experiment as I already have a lubrisizer. 

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 10:41:19 AM »
Powder coating cast rounds has shown to eliminate leading and improve feeding particularly in autoloading pistols and rifles.  This could improve feeding issues that some have with their Spencers.  I am planning to shoot my spencer with traditionally lubed boolets.  This is just an experiment as I already have a lubrisizer. 

OK thanks.  I'll be interested to see your results.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »
I have to ask... what does this "powder" coating consist of?

A few years back, the powder was graphite. This caused the cast lead bullet to look Black in color.
I am no doubt out of my time element. But what is this yellowish goo looking stuff made of, and how is it applied?
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 07:24:01 AM »
Here is my grouping with PC boolets at 50 yards with 10mph crosswinds.  Used a 12:00 hold.  Second are std lubed at a 6:00 hold.  Lubed wins I.m.o.

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 08:51:14 AM »
Good shooting.....I shoot my 56 50, '65 carbine at 50 yds. too,  and find the type of hold effects the group size.
    I found that pulling the butt hard into the shoulder, seems to counteract the sledgehammer blow of the hammer and tightens groups.  I go from 4 inches, 6 shots, to well UNDER two inches doing this.  and it does this time after time.
    I also clean after each six, but found last week that I had fired a dozen rounds, without cleaning and it was the same.

I de-lead  a lot.  this tightens groups too. 

Just bought 50 cases from Buffalo and they seem to work fine....expensive though......
     good luck....Ken

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 09:21:39 AM »
Another thing that will help in future range times will be the crude front sight hood I made from a piece of 9mm brass.  When I get the time, I plan on making a more refined version.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »
Ibgreen - that's fine shooting!  Not a lot of people shooting rifles, so its nice to see another doing well.  I've experimented with a lot of different powders in my 2 band rifle - Goex, Swiss, Old Eynesfiord and Pyrodex.  I was surprised to find that Goex 2F repeatedly shot the best in mine.  When loaded in cut down .50-70 cases with a Rapine 350 bullet and SPG, its a winning combination. 

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 07:19:23 AM »
very nice groups.    but..how do you get 45 grains in the case?    I use two types of cases, one is the cut 50 70, and even with a drop tube, 37 is about it.  I find 34 with no compression works well.   
     and what primer do you use?   tks..Ken

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 07:50:53 AM »
very nice groups.    but..how do you get 45 grains in the case?    I use two types of cases, one is the cut 50 70, and even with a drop tube, 37 is about it.  I find 34 with no compression works well.   
     and what primer do you use?   tks..Ken

Ken - My rifle uses slightly longer cases.  Its all described in detail here:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,49533.0.html

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 06:55:58 PM »
To get 45grs FF in standard lenth 56-50 cases I use cut down 32ga shot shells,a compresion die and a NEI bullet that does not sit a long way in the case,I find this 45gr load to be a big improvment over 40grs FF in Starline cases,which is the maximum powder I can get in these solid head cases using the same method.Bullet selection is also very important for acuracy in the original Spencers depending on modle ,for instance I belive ndnchf  has nailed the best load for the Springfield converted Spencer Burncide rifle with 45grs of FF and the Rapine 350T bullet,however this cartridge is to long in the case to fit original unalterd Spencer arms,also the twist rate in the Springfiel conversion is 1 in 42 inches so the shorter 350T bullet and 45grs FF is a perfect match,if using a short bullet in the faster twist original unalterd 56-50 Spencers the powder charge has to be droped to 40grsFF or slitley less,however the faster twist in the unalterd originals improves with a longer bullet ,the BACO 375gr Spencer bullet or the NEI 395gr bullet have proven to give me the best acuracy by a fair margin(I use the the NEI bullet with 45grs FF for the best acuracy in my rifle)

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 08:40:58 PM »
Herbert, what kind of case prep does converting 32ga brass involve?  Did you have to machine the underside of the rim for your original 56-50?

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 01:37:36 AM »
Did not need to change the rim,just cut to lenth then aneaned and formed.Rim thicness is not perfect but it works very well for me

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 09:58:25 AM »
Well, I just scored 150 32ga pieces of brass.  Looks like I will be playing around with brass lengths.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 11:09:09 AM »
Ibgreen,

How is this 32 ga. brass primed?
I mean what kind of primers are used?
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 01:42:45 PM »
Large pistol primers.

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 01:52:39 PM »
I will say that I am pretty happy with this load.  Especially that my rifle still has it's wretched original sights.

50 yards steadied with a bag of plastic decoys
84 degrees light wind
Starline 56-50 brass
360 gr modified lee .515 mold
26 gr(by weight) 777 2f
50/50 beeswax / coconut oil lube
CCI large magnum PP

After this 5 shot group, I shot 10/10 on a steel target set at 120 yards.

I did shoot some with BH 209 loads but just do not like the greasy residue

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 01:58:21 PM »
Some fine shooting,Look's like a good load,,,,,Dusty

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com