Author Topic: Eureka !!!  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Gunner

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Eureka !!!
« on: September 08, 2005, 02:10:22 AM »
Imagine shooting your Spencer carbine in a clean match (I did that already this year), but in this instance you are in the rifle string of the last stage...you get 4 shots off and you suffer the dreaded right extractor jam >:( :o - doh!
OK - it happens, but the RO/posse leader takes pity on you and gives you a restart...same thing happens again.
Four shot then the dreaded right extractor jam!  Arghhhh!
There goes the clean match...sigh...was this Stealth Bullets or me being ham-handed...
A couple of things I learned - you are more likely to to jam a Spencer as you get more tired - this was a very hot & humid day, I tended to become more lackadaisical as I worked the action at the end of the day. You must be deliberate when you work the action.
Now the big thing.....the lever pivot screw MUST be kept tight! This I find will do 2 key things - it will help keep that right extractor in proper alignmnet (yeah), and it will greatly limit "over-travel" of the action.  I paid close attention the the pivot screw this past Sunday and made sure it was tight before each stage.  I did not have a single problem at all. EUREKA.
Perhaps me have solved my problemo ::).
Gunner SASS #1940L
Spencer Shooting Society #1/Founder, LASSOOS #1s/Founder, SBSS, SCORRS, BOSS, STORM, PoR
"..I wanna be a cowboy when I grow up.."

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: Eureka !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 03:34:50 PM »
HOWDY GUNNER.

CONGRATS.  IS YOURS A 45 SCHOFIELD?  HAVE YOU TRIED JUST LEAVING THE LEFT EXTRACTOR IN, AND REMOVING THE RIGHT?  ORIGINALS (UNTIL THE LANE EXTRACTOR) ONLY HAD A RIGHT.  SEEMS TO ME WE HAD A THREAD IN THE BEGINNING WHERE SOME FOLKS DID THIS WITH GOOD RESULTS.

TUOLUNE LAWMAN
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Gunner

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 01:32:43 AM »
Howdee TL,
Yes, mine is a .45 S&W......and I have used it with the rt extractor removed, I even have an extractor blank. This helps the feeding/cycling of the action, BUT....this led to extraction problems - AY YIYI (Oy Vey).

After Action Report for 9/18/05 - I kept the "pivot screw" TIGHT. The gun work flawlessly!!! ;D
Iffin I did what I had to, the Spencer took care of the rest :D.
No failures to feed, no failures to extract.
I really think I'm onto something here - keep the pivot screw TIGHT!
I even shot 3 out of 5 stages in under 100 seconds - yeee-haa! ;D 8).
Gunner SASS #1940L
Spencer Shooting Society #1/Founder, LASSOOS #1s/Founder, SBSS, SCORRS, BOSS, STORM, PoR

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:37:07 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 01:56:40 PM »
Wow,

Stages under 100 seconds with a Spencer!  Usually when I shoot mine, they threaten to time me with a sun-dial.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Gunner

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 12:29:10 AM »
After action report for Sunday, October 2nd, Boot Hill Gang, PA.
Another flawless Spencer match! ;D
No jams, FTF, FTE, and no misses (just one real pretty missus ;))
I made sure the pivot screw was torque'd down ALL the way.
Has anybody else with problems in the pistol caliber guns tried this yet??
Also...all my staqges were under 100 seconds, including one stage @ 76 seconds....needless to say I am feeling much more confident in the gun. 8)
Gunner SASS #1940L

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com