Author Topic: Where do I get a Spencer and how much? + Need info  (Read 3556 times)

Offline The Yankee Bandit

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Where do I get a Spencer and how much? + Need info
« on: July 17, 2005, 12:11:34 AM »
I am very interested in getting a Spencer - one of the new repros.  I am just wondering where is a good place to get one and what is a normal price.  I have seen a few on Gunbroker for about $950 - $1150 new.  Is this about what Y'all paid?  Also, where can I find a used repo and what is a normal price for a used Spencer in decent shape?

I don't do any reloading - have no equipment - 45 Schofield is the only factory ammo I have seen in my area stores.  My local sources are kind of limited.  Does anyone make any of the other calibers?

I have heard a lot about the jamming problems with the new repos.  Is this a widespread problem?  Also, if I were to get a Spencer, where factory ammo is limited, would I be in trouble if my Spencer didn't like the factory ammo.  I couldn't do any reloading to try to make some ammo the gun could handle, so what then?

Thanks in advance for helping me out. 

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Where do I get a Spencer and how much? + Need info
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 04:24:33 AM »
Welcome Yankee Bandit,

I'll try to answer some of your questions, those I can't,  I'm sure other members will give their advice and opinion.

I own a Taylor Spencer in .45 Schofield.   I have not had any jamming  problems.  Check out some of the other topics on this forum and I'm pretty sure the jamming problem has been pretty much cured with the newer models of the Spencer.   I purchased my Spencer through a local gun shop.   I am shooting 200 grain .45 Schofield rounds from Ten-X Ammunition.  They ship ammo to your front door.  Check with Ken at Ten-X if he can deliver to your state.   Your Taylor Spencer will love the Ten-X ammo.

As far as prices go for a Taylor Spencer,  the .44 Russian and .45 Schofield caliber models seem to sell at a higher cost than the .56-50 caliber.  You can order direct from Tayl;or (for more money) and they will ship to your FFL Dealer, or see if your local dealer can order for you, and maybe get their dealer discount that they can pass on to you.

The Marshal, here at CasCity,  is also an authorized dealer for Taylor firearms and you can check with him for a price on the Taylor Spencer.

I enjoy shooting my .45 Schofield Taylor Spencer.  It goes well with my S&W Schofield revolvers!

Thanks for joining SSS.  Hope you'll contribute to the various topics and let us know how you make out with your Spencer.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 02:22:37 PM »
Hey Yankee Bandit,

Read the topic just started by Drydock.  He shoots a Taylor Spencer in .45  Schofield.  Doesn't sound like he had any jamming problems!    ;D ;D ;D

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:47:40 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 02:20:22 PM »
Howdy,

I can make you a heck of a deal on my 56-50 Taylors.  Have a roof to replace on a rental.  See my new post.

TL
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Fighting Bob Evans

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 11:40:31 AM »
If you want to see what the "retail" price for a Spencer is at Taylors, just go to their website: www.taylorsfirearms.com (it's that simple). Then you can see what a deal that the Lawman will make.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com