Author Topic: Spencer Side Match  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spencer Side Match
« on: May 05, 2005, 10:10:18 PM »
I am trying to determine if their is enough (or any) interest in setting up a Spencer side match at a future Northern California annual Cowboy Action Match.  The earliest opportunitity may be at next year's Plainfield Raid in Winters / Davis, CA.  If you are interested please E-Mail me at wrheller@sbcglobal.net.  I have been told by the match directors that if I can set it up they will provide a shooting bay and targets.  The SSS looks like a growing concern and maybe sometime in the future we can get our own catagory in future side matches within SASS.  Let me know what you think about this.

Rich Heller
Hell-Er High Water
Napa, CA

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: Spencer Side Match
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 11:34:44 AM »
HOwdy,

I used my 56-56 as a main match rifle on a stage when the front sight fell off my Henry.  Texas Jack fixed the sight, but they let me use the Spencer while he was working on it.  I beliebve someone else on another posse was using a Spencer in 44 or 45.  Count me in for the shoot.

I may single load my Spencer for the plainsmen match at Railroad Flat this year.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 03:56:33 PM »
T.L,

Please explain in more detail your comment, "single load my Spencer".  Can you explain the "hows"  and "what's"  involved in firing a Spencer in a single shot way?

Thanks,
Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:32:07 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 05:19:30 PM »
Howdy Pard,

Single loading is either used when the stage needs more than 7 shots (which they all do) .  With the 1865's and Taylor's 56-50 with the sping loaded lane extractor, it is easy.  Just open the action, feed in a round from the top, and when you close the action, the spring loaded lane extractor just pops under the rim.  With the 1860's and Taylors 44 and 45 it is a littler harder.  You have to close the action enough to move the blades forward in front of the rim, as they will not skip passed it.

I was amazed how easy single loading loading the Taylor's 56=50 was with the lane.  I only had one original round to try, but it worked well.

At the match, I may just remove nthe magazine tube and use it as a single shot!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com