Author Topic: F/S 1860 project  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Pinkerton Agent

• Pinkerton Agent
  • Active citizen
  • "We Never Sleep"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
F/S 1860 project
« on: August 12, 2006, 02:32:50 PM »
This rifle showed up in a small local gunshop and I thought maybe somebody around here might be interested. Ir deserves a good home and some restoration. He's talking $600 for the rifle but I suspect he might listen to offers.

Okay, it is a rimfire and the serial number is 34xx. The stock has been messed with and the crown on the barrel doesn't look kosher. The barrel measures 28". The buttstock has some kind of a patchbox installed. Good news is the action is in good condition (no pitting anywhere) and the bore is clean, has strong rifleing with some visible frosting, but no pits or rust. On the receiver it says "Spencer Repeating Rifle Co Boston Mass" and "Pat March 1st 1860".

This rifle surfaced in Michigan and could indeed have some Civil War history to it. I toyed with the idea of restoring it to carbine configuration and centerfire, but I'm currently bingo on such project funds. The shops phone number is 248 363 8381 (ask for Paul). I took some digital photos and will email them if interested, (mattnormanATcomcast.net).

P.S. It does not have a full length forearm. The forearm is short and there is no barrel band.

ADDITIONAL INFO: Two Flints did some research based on the serial number (four digit 34xx). Serial numbers within a couple digits on either side of it were rifle configuration issued to K Company, 9th Michigan Volunteer Cavalry. Here is a link to a brief history of the K Company...

http://hometown.aol.com/dlharvey/9thcav.htm

It is not a stretch that this rifle participated in Sherman's March to The Sea. After the war it went back to Michigan and was modified into more of a sporter configuartion. The three notches on the stock wrist visible in the phots makes one wonder.   

Here's a link to K Company roster. This rifle surfaced in a gunshop within 50 miles of 1/2 of these towns. At least 25 of the soldiers in the Regiment hailed from within 10 miles of the gunshop!

http://www.michiganinthewar.org/cavalry/9cavk.htm

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Offline Pinkerton Agent

• Pinkerton Agent
  • Active citizen
  • "We Never Sleep"
  • Liked:
Re: F/S 1860 project
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 08:27:00 PM »
I'm going to post a couple photos of this rifle....
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Offline Pinkerton Agent

• Pinkerton Agent
  • Active citizen
  • "We Never Sleep"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 08:28:08 PM »
and a few more

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:38:38 AM »

Offline Tubac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 10:44:05 PM »
Is the gun still for sale?
I'm interested, email me , zarkom@aol.com
Tubac
from the Confederate Territory of Arizona

Offline Pinkerton Agent

• Pinkerton Agent
  • Active citizen
  • "We Never Sleep"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 03:50:58 PM »
I'm told by the guys at the gunshop that this Spencer has been purchased (by one of us) and is being shipped. Sounds like it's going to have a happy home and be made ready to shoot again!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com