Author Topic: My New Taylor's Spencer Carbine  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Rancid Roy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My New Taylor's Spencer Carbine
« on: July 14, 2006, 03:49:25 PM »
Hello The Camp!

I just returned from the range after firing my new Taylor's Spencer carbine in 56/.50.

IT WAS GREAT!!!!!

I have wanted a Spencer for a loooonnggg time. Mine is fantastic. Fit and finish about as good and any gun I have seen. [No I ain't seen no Holland and Hollands]. Functioning is excellent. Sights are a challenge to my eyes and will be modified. The trigger pull is horrible and will be fixed. A great gun!!!

I loaded up the Montana Precision 365 grain bullet with SPG lube. I used loads offered on this forum.

All shots at 50 yards. Three shot groups.

CCI 250 Large Rifle Magnum primers and .500 milk carton wads between powder and bullet.

Trail Boss 9.0 grains-5 3/4, 5 1/4, and 5 inches. Two rounds over chronograph; 947.2 and 950.1 fps.

IMR 4227 20.0 grains-2 1/2 qnd 6 inches. Three rounds over chronograph; 1089, 1015, and 995.6 fps. Many half-burnt kernels in the barrel.

XMP 5744 20.0 grains-2 1/8 and 2 3/4 inches. Three rounds over chronograph; 1090, 1109, and 1093 fps. Some half-burnt kernels in the barrel, not as bad as IMR 4227.

GOEX FFG 28.5 grains-6 and 7 inches. Four rounds over chronograph; 909, 786, 822, 834 fps.

GOEX CARTRIDGE 28.5 grains-3 1/4 and 4 5/8 inches. Three rounds over chronograph; 847.9, 855.2, and 811.0 fps.

By using the front sight "full" [even with the top of the two "horns" on the rear sight] it shot about six inches high at 50 yards.

By using the front sight "fine" [down into the almost invisible notch and even with the bottom of the rear sight blade] it shot about 3 inches high at 50 yards.

My Lyman dies were made in May of 2006 and would not crimp well enough so I filed down the die body to set the crimp lower. It now works fine. Not a true roll crimp but more of a modified "roll/taper" crimp but it will work. All rounds seemed to function properly in the weapon, even with a full magazine.

I cannot tell you how excited I am. I have wanted a Spencer since 1974 and with the introduction of the Taylor's Spencer I have an affordable one in the correct caliber. I walked into the Taylor's store at EOT and originally ordered a .44/40 as I incorrectly assumed the 56/.50 was not SASS legal in regular matches. They had only one .44/40 and had sold it earlier that day but agreed to order me one from the factory. Lucky for me the factory had none in .44/40 so I was offered a choice of .45 Schofield or 56/.50. I took a 56/.50 and later [by reading here] realized the 56/.50 IS SASS legal.

This has been an experience almost right out of the pages of Dodge City or Denver in 1874. I was in an "old west" town, dressed as a "cowpoke", walked into a false-fronted gun store and ordered a Spencer straight from "back east".

Ladies and Gents we are very, very fortunate. In no other country in the world, can we indulge in our "old west" fantasies as we can here. And its only going to get better.

I have added to my list of "Guns-To-Buy" another Spencer in the military rifle configuration which will be re-built into a "sporter" of about 26/28 inch barrel and brass or german silver nosecap. Some day.
Ne'er Do Well    Chicken Thief

Back Shooter     Ambush Expert

"You hold'em and I'll shoot'em."

GAF 104 Scout and Scoundrel

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: My New Taylor's Spencer Carbine
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 04:39:13 PM »
Rancid,

Great post ;D ;D  Thanks for the info!  If you check back to earlier posts you will find info on how to adjust the trigger pull and what to do about the rear sight.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Rancid Roy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 01:54:51 PM »
Howdy Two Flints,

Yes indeed, I read of those problems and fixes before my Spencer arrived and saved them to my favorites. I will definetely be slicking up the mainspring.
Ne'er Do Well    Chicken Thief

Back Shooter     Ambush Expert

"You hold'em and I'll shoot'em."

GAF 104 Scout and Scoundrel

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:39:53 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com