Author Topic: USAF Henry Nettleton 7.5" 45ACP/45LC Nickle  (Read 1607 times)

Offline GunGirl80

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
USAF Henry Nettleton 7.5" 45ACP/45LC Nickle
« on: December 08, 2022, 01:59:49 PM »
Teach Me Boys! I will admit when it comes to wheel guns I am still learning.. Its my job as Owner of my shop to tag this and move it along but squaring away details and putting tags on this etc. I see under Gov Inspector Series they did make these in Nickle but it doesn't address the dual cylinder etc. and I can't find any like this for current fair price points etc.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: USAF Henry Nettleton 7.5" 45ACP/45LC Nickle
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 08:21:39 PM »
I don't know what it's worth but I think it's pretty rare, even for an Inspector Series. I noticed it says 45 AUTOMATIC on the barrel. That's weird on a Nettleton replica, not exactly historically correct but it could make it worth more. Neat gun.

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 10:05:08 AM »
Slightly before my time but there was a dealer in either WA or OR that would have Inspector series guns done calibers other than 45.  44 Sp, 44-40, 38-40, and 32-20.  The powers at USFA at the time did it.  I guess anything for a sale.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:30:13 PM »

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 03:26:59 PM »
Dear GunGal80,
First thing that came to my mind was 'What makes you think that this is one of the Inspector Series pistols.'  There were Nettleton series guns, there were Ainsworth series  guns and maybe more.
Inspector Series guns were, to the best of my ever faltering memory, always marked with an inspector's cartouche on the left side of the grips and were never nickel plated.  I see no such grip markings on the photos that you submitted.  Is it the 7&1/2", original military issue style, barrel that led you to that conclusion?
I have an identical revolver that I ordered with premium walnut grips & nickel plating.  It is not an Inspector Series gun, it is  merely a representation of what any civilian could have ordered from Colt "back in the day."
Respectfully, CJF 
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 04:51:27 PM »
Cat. John,

Please understand I am not intending to be disruptive or disrespectful, but I assume the OP believes it to be an Inspector Series because it states Henry Nettleton on the label on the end of the box. It is not very clear but I am able to make it out if I enlarge the photo. The serial number also begins with HN . I too would think it to be an Inspector Series as I was unaware there were any Henry Nettleton revolvers other than the inspector series made by USFA. If there were then I have learned something new about the USFA's.

I am wondering if it has the US stamping on the frame and the other HN and serial number stampings.

I enlarged the second photo and it does have US stamped on the frame and looks to have HN stamped just in front of the trigger guard. Also, a serial number on the cylinder, and a cartouche on the grip.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline GunGirl80

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 12:56:00 PM »
I am perplexed with this onel. Yes HN stamped with serial on firearm cylinder etc what I can't understand and compute is I don't see where USAF stamped barrel with 45 automatic on barrel vrs 45 Colt. I am really struggling with this one. I have spent days trying to figure out what exactly I have here.

Cat. John,

Please understand I am not intending to be disruptive or disrespectful, but I assume the OP believes it to be an Inspector Series because it states Henry Nettleton on the label on the end of the box. It is not very clear but I am able to make it out if I enlarge the photo. The serial number also begins with HN . I too would think it to be an Inspector Series as I was unaware there were any Henry Nettleton revolvers other than the inspector series made by USFA. If there were then I have learned something new about the USFA's.

I am wondering if it has the US stamping on the frame and the other HN and serial number stampings.

I enlarged the second photo and it does have US stamped on the frame and looks to have HN stamped just in front of the trigger guard. Also, a serial number on the cylinder, and a cartouche on the grip.

Offline GunGirl80

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 01:07:00 PM »

Dear GunGal80,
First thing that came to my mind was 'What makes you think that this is one of the Inspector Series pistols.'  There were Nettleton series guns, there were Ainsworth series  guns and maybe more.
Inspector Series guns were, to the best of my ever faltering memory, always marked with an inspector's cartouche on the left side of the grips and were never nickel plated.  I see no such grip markings on the photos that you submitted.  Is it the 7&1/2", original military issue style, barrel that led you to that conclusion?
I have an identical revolver that I ordered with premium walnut grips & nickel plating.  It is not an Inspector Series gun, it is  merely a representation of what any civilian could have ordered from Colt "back in the day."
Respectfully, CJF

Offline GunGirl80

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 01:12:34 PM »
Here are some more photos.. Idk what to think, I can't find a single one stamped 45 Automatic, I do see they offered the option of full nickel, Everything on box matches what is on revolver both also have the HN stamp all parts matching serial numbers with HN stamps etc. Can't find a reason to not believe it isn't exactly what says it is etc but I can not locate any Nettletons by USFA that are stamped with 45 Automatic on side of barrel

Offline GunGirl80

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2022, 01:13:22 PM »
I struggle with finding another one like it that says that as well. I posted more photos, sorry in a hurry so not exactly the best.
I don't know what it's worth but I think it's pretty rare, even for an Inspector Series. I noticed it says 45 AUTOMATIC on the barrel. That's weird on a Nettleton replica, not exactly historically correct but it could make it worth more. Neat gun.

Offline GunGirl80

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2022, 01:37:24 PM »
I spoke with Rock Island Auction House they are inclined to think it was a special order Nettleton that is what we hv concluded given everything matches etc

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2022, 12:18:45 PM »
I spoke with Rock Island Auction House they are inclined to think it was a special order Nettleton that is what we hv concluded given everything matches etc

GunGirl80,

The third comment by GaryG is your answer. GaryG worked for USFA and is our go to guy when we are searching for uncommon information concerning USFA firearms.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline GunGirl80

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2022, 12:40:54 PM »
Just got off the phone with him, Thank you!
GunGir180,

The third comment by GaryG is your answer. GaryG worked for USFA and is our go to guy when we are searching for uncommon information concerning USFA firearms.

Offline marlan.sangster@gmail.com

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2022, 04:48:52 PM »
How can I get a hold of GaryG? I’m looking to purchase a usfa and would like to get some information. Thanks in advance, marlan.

Offline GunGirl80

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2022, 05:00:56 PM »
I messaged him

Offline marlan.sangster@gmail.com

• Citizen
  • Liked: