Author Topic: Possible NWMP Uniform and Kit at 2020 … no, 2021 … no, 2022 National Muster  (Read 18676 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
Re: Possible NWMP Uniform and Kit at 2020 National Muster
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2020, 07:32:01 AM »
Stan Dolega at Wolf’s Ears does quality work. He's built me several pairs of holsters, a pair of half flaps and a pair of open tops. A real nice guy. Your NWMP accoutrements are looking good there Rattlesnake.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2020, 10:06:19 AM »
That is very nice indeed!  Hmmm, now that Wolf Ears knows the pattern, might I need a USN belt?
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2020, 11:22:12 AM »
Very nice, RJR!

I'm guessing the olive drab will eventually fade to just plain old drab.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2020, 05:47:34 PM »
The Mills belt has dried after the dye job, and is now re-assembled.  As I fully expected, once dry the tone is significantly less "intense" - probably much closer to the original colour ... 

I'm happy with it, at any rate ... and definitley pleased that I didn't screw up a brand new acquisition.

(In case the problems of my remotely hosted images recur, here - hopefully - are "backups" ...)

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2020, 07:45:32 AM »
That is very nice indeed!  Hmmm, now that Wolf Ears knows the pattern, might I need a USN belt?

The USN/NWMP/RSJ model?
GAF#379

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2020, 12:12:16 PM »
The USN/NWMP/RSJ model?

Sounds like a good designation ...  ;D
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2020, 01:49:37 PM »
Anything posted by "Rattlesnake Jack" is always factual and of great interest to both history buffs and firearms enthusiasts. He knows whereof he speaks.

It should be noted that as far as Canadians are concerned, we have never doubted the para-military structure of the NWMP/RNWMP/RCMP. They are regarded as part of our military, subject to the same Queen's Orders & Regulations in addition to any Acts governing their municipal, provincial and federal policing.

They qualify for the same military decorations for service in theatres of operation where the Army serves. Many served in the Balkans War, Africa, Haiti and other locations on UN missions.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2020, 09:49:18 PM »
Bumping this up....  :)

Rattlesnake Jake, did you get this all together?

Any pics?
GAF#379

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2020, 01:39:31 AM »
I do have the uniform parts and the other kit pretty much completed (... as detailed in some of the images I have posted since this thread started ...) but the closure of the border due to the pandemic unfortunately prevents me from attending the National Muster this year, so I sort of put things on hold. 

In fact, things were so shut down in India (for the same reason) that the canvas stable/patrol jacket I ordered from there is still not in hand (perhaps not even made yet ... I'll have to inquire.)

I did get the appropriate yellow stripes sewn onto the dark blue serge trousers I will be using, but
I have not yet sewn the Sergeants stripes and crown on my tunic, as I was waiting to receive the stable jacket and then planned to sew the rank insignia on both ... (right sleeve only, as became official in 1882 and was often seen prior to that date.)

One thing not mentioned previously in this thread which I have added to my NWMP "ensemble" is a fringed buckskin jacket, for use as an alternative form of patrol dress, as seen in numerous period photographs of NWMP personnel -

Years ago, I bought a fringed buckskin jacket at a Native Crafts store in Cody Wyoming (when I was there for a cowboy action shoot) but seldom wore it because it was a very creamy near-white color. Unfortunately, I neglected to take a photo of it in its original color before I took a plunge recently and dyed it to an "earthier" tone, closer in appearance to smoke-tanned buckskin.  Here is a cellphone camera shot I took of it hung up in the basement, drying after being dyed ...

At any rate, hopefully I will get everything finished in the not too distant future, and will take some photos of the various combinations.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2020, 07:01:36 AM »
It's not authentic until you ride in on a horse.

(Which I would dearly love to see your majestic presence perched upon a noble steed, coming over that last hillock on the road into Camp Pitspitr.)

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2020, 04:07:31 PM »
I do have the uniform parts and the other kit pretty much completed (... as detailed in some of the images I have posted since this thread started ...) but the closure of the border due to the pandemic unfortunately prevents me from attending the National Muster this year, so I sort of put things on hold. 

In fact, things were so shut down in India (for the same reason) that the canvas stable/patrol jacket I ordered from there is still not in hand (perhaps not even made yet ... I'll have to inquire.)

I did get the appropriate yellow stripes sewn onto the dark blue serge trousers I will be using, but
I have not yet sewn the Sergeants stripes and crown on my tunic, as I was waiting to receive the stable jacket and then planned to sew the rank insignia on both ... (right sleeve only, as became official in 1882 and was often seen prior to that date.)

One thing not mentioned previously in this thread which I have added to my NWMP "ensemble" is a fringed buckskin jacket, for use as an alternative form of patrol dress, as seen in numerous period photographs of NWMP personnel -

Years ago, I bought a fringed buckskin jacket at a Native Crafts store in Cody Wyoming (when I was there for a cowboy action shoot) but seldom wore it because it was a very creamy near-white color. Unfortunately, I neglected to take a photo of it in its original color before I took a plunge recently and dyed it to an "earthier" tone, closer in appearance to smoke-tanned buckskin.  Here is a cellphone camera shot I took of it hung up in the basement, drying after being dyed ...

At any rate, hopefully I will get everything finished in the not too distant future, and will take some photos of the various combinations.

That is neat....looking forward to the complete outfit.
GAF#379

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2020, 02:46:43 PM »
Rattlesnake Jack, I would be interested in 5 of the large buttons and 2 of the smaller buttons if you still have some extra
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2020, 01:07:18 AM »
Quick Fire:

For some reason I never got notification of your post on October 29 ... nor your PM of October 23 ... just happened to run across them now.  I do still have extra buttons. Check your PMs ...

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2020, 04:47:30 PM »
RsJ...did you ever get your stable jacket?  Any pics of it or the whole outfit?

Looking at the pics in this thread and online it appears that the stable jackets came from several vendors or were made up locally?  There is seems to be more than a bit of variation in them.
GAF#379

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2021, 10:38:39 AM »
RsJ, can you direct me ti where I can purchase the correct insignia and the correct haversack. Thanks in advance
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2021, 11:25:44 AM »
RsJ, can you direct me ti where I can purchase the correct insignia and the correct haversack. Thanks in advance

I'm not RsJ but What Price Glory carries the 1899 Oliver Pattern haversack.   IMA carries a P1871 Haversack.  That one is available on Ebay.
GAF#379

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2021, 05:35:34 PM »
Smoke, I haven't been able to find that P1871 on ebay
NCOWS 1717

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2021, 07:11:56 PM »
Dang!  I checked Ebay too and the IMA website.  Sold out. :-[

sorry about that.

GAF#379

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2021, 07:41:10 PM »
Thanks anyway, Smoke. I'm sure RsJ will know more about where I can purchase one
NCOWS 1717

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2021, 07:47:55 PM »
This is the one from WPG.  It is a correct Canadian pattern for the Boer War.

https://onlinemilitaria.net/products/6144-1899-Pattern-Oliver-Haversack/
GAF#379

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com