Author Topic: Possible NWMP Uniform and Kit at 2020 … no, 2021 … no, 2022 National Muster  (Read 18678 times)

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Possible NWMP Uniform and Kit at 2020 National Muster
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2020, 10:06:24 PM »
Just to support Jack's submission on whether the NWMP were Military or police, they were both, and wore yellow trouser stripes and other yellow uniform markings indicating that they were mounted cavalry troops.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2020, 03:47:50 AM »
This will be sufficient: I Ask all brigade staff to PM me with their decision in this matter, and I will give you the result asap.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2020, 12:01:55 PM »
In a nutshell, the NWMP were military with police powers.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Advertising

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2020, 02:45:44 PM »
Thanks, Chuck!

(Now to get busy enlisting the aid of the Russians in this vote! Say ... is your son around? ;D )
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2020, 04:49:00 PM »
The 1895 has always been legal.  Save the vodka for better things.  Like cleaning battery terminals . . .

Fwiw, Democrat caucas voting software is not being used here.

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2020, 04:53:26 PM »
If the 76 is approved, how close to military issue does it have to be?  I don't believe that Chiappa makes the NWMP version any longer.  Can they be a work in progress?
GAF#379

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2020, 04:55:19 PM »
Also FWIW, I used a Vetterli with Vitali speed loaders last year, and got beat by 2 trapdoors and a Spencer.  Then I used a Sharps carbine out in Colorado, and set fast overall time for the match.  Target acquisition and accuracy are far more important than the action type in the Skirmish Scenario.  But evaluations will be ongoing.  Should repeaters show dominance, a separate class may be reinstated.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2020, 04:57:16 PM »
It has to be the musket stocked NWMP version.  Any other version will be relegated to Civilian Long Action class.

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2020, 05:00:20 PM »
Gotcha.  Are there any other lever guns that were issued?  I can only think of the m1895. 
GAF#379

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2020, 05:09:04 PM »
To my knowledge, that's it.  I used a .30 Krag M1895 Musket in 2018, and did quite well, but only because I figured out that the only time you have the action closed is when your firing a shot.  Other than that you constantly top the thing off.  And single load if you run empty in a longer string.  You ain't shooting, you need to be loading.  Which is good advice for any repeater really.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2020, 05:36:12 PM »
... I figured out that the only time you have the action closed is when your firing a shot.  Other than that you constantly top the thing off.  And single load if you run empty in a longer string.  You ain't shooting, you need to be loading.  Which is good advice for any repeater really.

Good advice!  However, since I don't believe a '76 (or earlier) Winchester can be topped up with the action open (... I'll have to double check ...) can such a rifle be topped up on the move if being carried with the hammer down on a spent round?
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2020, 05:41:09 PM »
To my knowledge, that's it.  I used a .30 Krag M1895 Musket in 2018, and did quite well, but only because I figured out that the only time you have the action closed is when your firing a shot.  Other than that you constantly top the thing off.  And single load if you run empty in a longer string.  You ain't shooting, you need to be loading.  Which is good advice for any repeater really.

If you're not shooting, you're moving.  If you're not moving you're reloading.
GAF#379

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2020, 06:14:43 PM »
Good advice!  However, since I don't believe a '76 (or earlier) Winchester can be topped up with the action open (... I'll have to double check ...) can such a rifle be topped up on the move if being carried with the hammer down on a spent round?
As long as the hammer is down on an empty case or an empty chamber, you can top off your magazine.  Where it really becomes an issue is when you get to a place where there are more targets than you've got rounds in the rifle.  Otherwise, as Drydock said, you should be reloading any time you're moving.  I can say, though, with a '95 Winchester that isn't set up for stripper clips, it's just a slow rifle to reload.  A '76 is faster. (I've used both in competition.)
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2020, 06:44:42 PM »
Yes, action closed on a fired case would be the way to go I believe.  (The 1895 is just a whole different critter)  And Smoke, to be really good you need to be reloading on the move!

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2020, 07:28:25 PM »
Yes, action closed on a fired case would be the way to go I believe.  (The 1895 is just a whole different critter)  And Smoke, to be really good you need to be reloading on the move!

I ain't that good :'(
GAF#379

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2020, 07:38:31 PM »
OK Jack, per the Brigade Staff, the NWMP is recognized as a military unit, and as such the NWMP variant of the 1876 is allowed as a military arm,  This applies to the NWMP prior to 1905, and to the Governor Generals Guard usage.  (If I understand the latter correctly.) Including both Victorian and Expansion usage.

There were no dissenting votes, though there was a procedural concern about the BP  class SS vs Repeaters, which is ongoing, and will be under evaluation, as indeed it has been for the prior 2 years.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2020, 09:27:46 PM »
Great news, Drydock!

Actually, the Governor General's Body Guard was not the only regular uniformed cavalry unit issued Winchester carbines for service in the 1885 Rebellion.  The Winnipeg Cavalry Troop and the Cavalry School Corps (as the unit was then named ... it later became the Royal Canadian Dragoons) were also issued with the same configuration of Model 1876 Winchester carbines ... in my earlier post I only mentioned the GGBG specifically, because I happened to have a photograph.  (I think my wording was something like "... regular cavalry units, such as the GGBG ...".

As documentary evidence, here is the actual tabular statement submitted by Deputy Adjutant General Lt.Col. W.H. Jackson, who was the Principal Supply, Pay and Transport Officer of the the Field force, outlining the "Arms and Ammunition Issued to Corps of the North West Forces, Settlers, and others", which formed part of the voluminous Report on the whole rebellion and the military expedition to quell it which was presented to Parliament in 1886.  The units highlighted in yellow are the regular established and uniformed cavalry units issued with Winchesters ... other units also issued Winchesters (Dominion Land Surveyors Intelligence Corps, Moose Mountain Scouts, Rocky Mountain Rangers, Alberta Field Force) were non-uniformed provisional (i.e. temporary) militia units raised solely for the duration of the Rebellion.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2020, 09:33:34 PM »
I will happily leave the regulation of appropriate Canadian Units in your hands, Jack!

"Moose Mountain Scouts"    For some reason that one really makes me smile.  I'm probably over influenced by Bullwinkle cartoons . . .

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2020, 10:07:39 PM »
Smoke:

The earlier dicussion of my down-sized faux NWMP Model 1876 carbine, built on a Model 1873 action, made me realize that I had never photographed the two together, so I have corrected that to some extent with this cell-phone photo ...

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2020, 09:00:12 PM »
RSJ...that is really cool.  Thanks for posting it!  I'm really tempted to find one of the 1875's.  How does yours run?
GAF#379

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com