Author Topic: Wickett & Craig vs. Herman Oak  (Read 2293 times)

Offline The original bad bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
Wickett & Craig vs. Herman Oak
« on: April 15, 2021, 04:50:22 PM »
Which  is your preference, and why?  :o

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Wickett & Craig vs. Herman Oak
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 10:11:39 PM »
W&C because they don’t have limits on number of sides and they will also split it to my spec at no cost.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 10:39:01 PM »
I've been  using  Hermann Oak leather in my business for over forty  years now.  I've  used W&C and they're  leather is also top quality.  I stay with Hermann  Oak,  because they don't  have  a  problem working with my special requests.  I buy only backs in the skirting and have it leveled to my specs.  I buy full sides in cartridge loop and money belt leather, which is also leveled to my specs.  I don't  worry about a minimum order, because I  never order less than five pieces at a time and usually much more.  Pricing between the two companies is very competitive.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:53:13 PM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 12:40:59 AM »
I've bought from both and had equally good service from them.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 08:40:07 AM »

:)  Well Golly   ;)

I actually have no opinion either way.  I do admit, while stick and stones may break my bones, but Leather excites me, I don't actually buy bulk leather as I really am not and never have been a "leather worker" or "crafter."  I also found that "Raw" leather was a total nuisance.  I mean raw leather is 1000 pounds of eating machine.  Not house broken.  Won't snuggle onna sofa.  Why Bother ??

You may have come to the conclusion, this missive adds no material contribution to the OP.  And that is a correct conclusion.  It Doesn't.  Meaningless drivel. It is however Friday morning, I'm not shooting this weekend and I really do need another cup of Coffee.  Elixir of youth as it tie.

If you chose to ignore this little tirade, you've done well.  If you're reading this part, it's too late.  You're here.  Hope all whom arrived here have a Fine Friday and remember:  People ARE Hazardous to Your Health.  Burma Shave

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 12:00:55 PM »
I think I may have tried Herman Oak, once. Wicket and Craig is too pricey. Don't you have to order by the side?

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 10:55:57 PM »
W&C because they don’t have limits on number of sides and they will also split it to my spec at no cost.
DM

curious here  what does a side cost you fellers??

Offline The original bad bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 11:56:38 AM »
Grey hawk, I just got a side of Wickett &Craig for the first time, it cost me $225.. I have no special source or discount.. I got it from Montana leather.

What I am talking about here is veg tanned plain untreated leather 8-9 oz that I use to make old west holsters that I sell at gunshows

My first impression of it after just cutting a scabbard holster out of it this AM is it is very tough leather.. the piece I got is tougher Leather than any Herman Oak I ever used.. what I mean by this is it’s very hard to cut ... Gummy is another word to describe how it cuts.

It tools and carves the same to slightly better than HO IMO.
W&C edges burnished easier than HO. ( I use tokonole)
The Flesh side of the W&C has patchy areas of large size fuzz , but it is just superficial ,still hard and doesn’t deter from the quality
When I sewed in the toe plug on the W&C holster the toe plug seemed easier to sew and push the awl through than HO leather

The tanning process must be different because it just feels different than HO.. The last side of HO I bought was dry and splity..The W&C seems like it has more moisture in it .. the other differences are not something I can describe in words very well.. it soaks up water like a sponge and it just feels different
I really like the Wickett & Craig and would buy it again despite it costing slightly more than HO.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 05:45:54 PM »
I buy my skirting leather from Wickett and Craig. I buy from them direct and they will level, split, or mill to my specs. I just buy whole sides, I've found if you buy backs it's almost the same price so buying whole sides you pretty much get the bellies for free.

For natural holster, strap, tooling leather I use Herman Oak, I just like the feel and the way it tools better than Wickett and Craig.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 09:12:35 AM »
Never used any HO hides but have been very pleased with those I got from W&C.
SASS #81,827

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com