CAS TOPICS > The Powder Room - CAS reloading

Thinking of getting Big Lube mold

(1/5) > >>

LonesomePigeon:
I am thinking of getting the Big Lube Snakebite Greasewagon 158 grain mold for .38 Special. Mostly I would want to use it for black powder loads in .38 Special and .357 Magnum cases but if I did want to use it for smokeless loads what data would I use? Could I just use the same data the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 has for any other 158 grain projectile?

Gnalluggive:
I also wanna know the answer.
tiny fishing

Lucky R. K.:

For the black powder loads just fill up the case with enough powder to allow a tiny bit of compression with the bullet. For smokeless loads consult the various reloading manuals for the bullet weight you are using.
Lucky  ;D

Advertising:

Coffinmaker:

:) Hi Guys  ;)

PLUS ONE for Lucky R.K.

Loading for Black Powder regardless of bullet weight is dead simple.  Don't have to measure anything.  Just pore powder in till you get a little compression and go. 

Same same is true if yer contemplating running APP.  Just fill to the bullet base and go.  Thinking not required.

Crow Choker:

--- Quote from: LonesomePigeon on October 29, 2023, 11:35:56 AM ---I am thinking of getting the Big Lube Snakebite Greasewagon 158 grain mold for .38 Special. Mostly I would want to use it for black powder loads in .38 Special and .357 Magnum cases but if I did want to use it for smokeless loads what data would I use? Could I just use the same data the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 has for any other 158 grain projectile?

--- End quote ---

For smokeless loadings of the 158 Snakebite that's what I consult is the Lyman manual. I do use softer lead for the black powder loadings and a bit harder for smokeless, although I do use a Lyman mold for most of my 38/357 loadings, a 156 grain Gas Check. Check out Mike Beliveau's sites on Facebook (Duelists Den) and on YouTube (duelist1954). He gives alot of info on his blackpowder/smokeless) loadings. Since I don't try to be a modern day Elmer Keith how much powder I can load into a brass case or attempt to make any of my handguns into a handheld howitzer, the Lyman manuals will do you right.

Coffinmaker and Lucky RK are right about loading black powder just near to the top to get good compression. I still weigh out that amount to get grains. Used my powder mease set at the needed grains for volume in early days of loading cases with black, but anymore use Lee's plastic dipper set. Works veddy well!

I don't know if true of not, but there was a story floating around in cyber-space about a guy who read/heard that when loading ammo for some handgun he had that all you needed to do was fill up the case to within 1/8" or so from the top of the case and it would be the perfect loading. Only trouble was he used smokeless powder of some sort. Blew his handgun to pieces, alot of shrapnel in his arm/hand/face. He survived, hopefully a little smarter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version