Author Topic: 2010 Grand Muster - Lockhart, TX - T minus 179 Days  (Read 51881 times)

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 2010 Grand Muster - Lockhart, TX - T minus 179 Days
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2010, 09:45:24 PM »
My unit is making fine progress, making camp for the night in the Indian Nation, will be reaching Texas early tmorrow.

Sounds as if the attack is going as planned, with units converging from at least three directions. Hopefully will not have difficulty with the ammunition supply, sufficient quantities of ammunition for Colt's revolver, new-fangled Colt's automatic pistol, 1903, and shtgun. However, supplies of .30 army cartridges for the Krag rifle are in short supply, available stocks will only allow for about 20 extra, so hopefully my marksmanship will be good!

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2010, 08:00:52 AM »
Update from Mayo

The Sawbones advise that while the surgery was quite a bit more complicated than expected, everything went well and all indications are that it was a complete success. They expect him to be recovered enough to compete in the teams first track meet the first week of December.

Thank you for all your prayers and Godspeed you in your endeavours next weekend.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2010, 09:17:24 AM »
Glad to hear that things are going well for your striker, Col Pitspitr! You will be missed during the campaign next week, but your duties are there in Nebraska.

We will be breaking camp and marching out in a few minutes here, expect to be crossing the Red River out of the Indian Nation, into Texas well before the noon break.

Advertising

« Reply #143 on: Today at 02:20:45 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2010, 09:36:06 AM »
Update from Mayo

The Sawbones advise that while the surgery was quite a bit more complicated than expected, everything went well and all indications are that it was a complete success. They expect him to be recovered enough to compete in the teams first track meet the first week of December.

Thank you for all your prayers and Godspeed you in your endeavours next weekend.

Good news indeed, Colonel!
Continued prayers for quick recovery. We will send a few rounds towards the hostiles in your and your Striker's name!
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline captmack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • "TX is neither southern nor western. TX is TX"
    • Capt Mack's You Tube page
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2010, 01:22:37 PM »
T - Minus 3 Days!!!

It's almost here!  The Squad Leaders will arrive on Wednesday for final setup.  We'll shoot through on Thursday and be ready for everyone on Friday.

Exp Era Match and Long Range will be on Friday with Main Match Stages starting on Saturday morning.

We are very excited to see everyone down here in the Lone Star State!  Drive careful and we'll see you next weekend!

Capt Mack
Capt Prather Scott "Mack" McLain
Senator
NCOWS Life Member #175

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2010, 09:22:41 PM »
Dispatch from San Antonio, TX:

After breaking camp Saturday, we passed by MCalester Army Ammunition plant, however NO .30 Army ammunition is to be had.....only something called"5.56" Strange looking shells, even smaller than that new Lee-Navy  cartridge!! Crossing of the Red River was uneventful.

Sunday, paid our respects to the Heros of the Alamo, and consumed too much Bar-b-Q on the Riverwalk.

Continuing on our campaign tomorrow AM, on to the coast at Corpus Christi!

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #146 on: November 08, 2010, 09:58:12 AM »
Dispatch from Fresno, California:

Experienced some waggon trouble on Saturday (nothing serious, but a strange "service engine" light came on and wouldn't shut off ) so had to spend most of that day in Eureka until a blacksmith/livery we found open could get it in and check things out ..... Put us a mite behind schedule (..... as did a slight navigational error shortly after coming off the Golden Gate bridge - 
although unplanned, I can now say I have driven through both The Presidio and the center of San Francisco!   :-\)

However, we have commenced the eastward leg of the journey, and may simply have to make slightly longer marches each day to ensure a timely arrival at the convergence of our various forces.
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2010, 02:17:22 PM »
Capt. Mack, or anyone with the answer,

When do we have to be out of the Barracks? If possible, we were planning on sleeping Sunday night in the Barracks and then taking off early Monday morning.
If this is not an option, that is okay, our plans are very flexible.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline TEXAS SARGE

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2010, 03:40:41 PM »
River City John
No problem on staying till whenever on Monday
Sarge

Offline captmack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • "TX is neither southern nor western. TX is TX"
    • Capt Mack's You Tube page
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2010, 04:01:21 PM »

Experienced some waggon trouble on Saturday (nothing serious, but a strange "service engine" light came on and wouldn't shut off ) so had to spend most of that day in Eureka until a blacksmith/livery we found open could get it in and check things out ..... Put us a mite behind schedule (..... as did a slight navigational error shortly after coming off the Golden Gate bridge - 
although unplanned, I can now say I have driven through both The Presidio and the center of San Francisco!   :-\)

However, we have commenced the eastward leg of the journey, and may simply have to make slightly longer marches each day to ensure a timely arrival at the convergence of our various forces.

Drive safe!  Looking forward to seeing my Canuck Pard!!!

Capt Mack
Capt Prather Scott "Mack" McLain
Senator
NCOWS Life Member #175

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2010, 04:44:58 PM »

Got one of those light on the Ford chuckwagon, comes on once in a while, used to get out and check, engine was always there.  today I figger if it's rollin' down the road it's there and working. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2010, 05:15:34 PM »

Jack,
    You need to get a roll of black electrical tape.  When one of those lights come on, cut a small piece off and put it over the light.  Works like a charm!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2010, 07:48:11 PM »
Dispatch from Corpus Christi, Texas:

Arrived on the coast early afternoon, after taking our noon meal, commenced the inspection of the USS Lexington. While some repairs are in progress, most appeared "ship shape"(At least to this Landlubber).

Made camp for the evening, will be finding some activities non-military or history related tomorrow AM. (Equal time to keep  my better half happy).

Offline Capt. Montgomery Little

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2010, 10:26:32 PM »
Sgt Mjr Cactus Rope and I will be heading south come Thurs. AM early and plan to sneak into the battle sight in late afternoon. Thanks RCJ for asking my next question about ETD from barracks as I am not excited about returning to MO in the dark.

Bvt LTC Montgomery Little, GAF Senior Chaplain

PS,  What is the shooter count at this time?

Offline TEXAS SARGE

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2010, 03:33:12 PM »
Capt. Little
As of Saturday AM we had 20 paid shooters with three more that might shoot.  Travel safe

Texas Sarge

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2010, 12:10:18 AM »
Actually, a piece of electrical tape would have been just the ticket, as it turned out!  They determined that the dadblamed contraption has a tiny little air leak into the manifold - not enough to cause any difficulty for the computer to keep things regulated at the elevations "at home" i.e. about 2500 feet above sealevel, and higher.  However, fluctuating back and forth between sea level and much higher elevations, as one does driving down the west coast highway, gave it absolute conniptions! The computer log showed it going back and forth from running too rich to too lean.  The light came back on and stayed lit most of the next day or two, but has remained off since we moved inland .....

I am pleased to confirm that this contingent has arrived in the Republic of Texas, albeit at the extreme western end ....  We have bivouacked at El Paso.  After another "overnight" at or near San Antonio, followed by a reconnaissance of the immediate environs (including the fortifications of the Alamo, of course) we should arrive in Lockhart on Thursday afternoon, God willin' and the creeks don't rise.

It has just occurred to me that I may not have mentioned that my batman, Roger, will undoubtedly wish to attend  the Saturday banquent, as well as partaking of some of the other meals.  I trust that will not cause any logistical problems , so long as the necessary ration chits are acquired upon our arrival?
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2010, 04:38:35 AM »
Underway, shift colors.     ;D
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline TEXAS SARGE

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2010, 05:53:11 AM »
Jack
That will be fine.
Scooter any I are just leaving New Braunfels with the supply wagons. Enjoy the Alamo.
Sarge

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2010, 06:48:48 PM »
Welcome to Texas Rattlesnake Jack and Roger !!  You will find the travel from El Paso to San Antone to take most of the day as it's a fer distance.  See yall at Lockhart.
GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2010, 09:40:08 PM »
Packed and ready to weigh anchor at second bell of the morning watch. Fully awake around four bells of the same.

I was not able to petition the Naval Commander of the Department for permission to extend the wearing of summer white pantaloons and straws past the October cutoff per regulations, so I have drawn up conditional permission papers, signed by myself as the ranking Naval officer on board, to wear same.

Look for me about third bell of the second dog watch. Everything shipshape and fuses cut and ready for action.

Will be on detached duty with landing party of the Texas Navy, Department of the Missouri.

God Bless Texas!

RCJ

NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com