Author Topic: .22 single action guns  (Read 30536 times)

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: .22 single action guns
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 03:21:28 PM »

I had a Frontier Scout back in 59, it was the 22 mag, mine was 4 3/4", but it wasn't accurate at all, I would have been better of with the 22 LR., nice little gun, just couldn't hit anything  worth a darn, mine came with the black Colt rubber grips, which I change off to some AJAX imitation stag, sold it in 62, got couple Ruger Single Six's in 66, and they were keepers. 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »
About a year ago I bought a 22 mag. cylinder for my Frontier Scout but have yet to fire any 22 mag. ammo in it.
I don't know how well it will shoot them.   :-\

As I stated above... My Scout shoots quite accurately with 22lr lead bullets.  It don't shoot jacketed bullets worth a damn.  About the best groups I can get with jacketed ammo is the CCI Stingers, and then we're talking 6 to 7 inch groups at 20 yards.   :o
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 07:09:01 PM »
I handle many of these guns regularly,. I think the Uberti Stallion is well worth considering at nearly $200 less than the Ruger. I find most of the current Ubertis, whether Cimarron, Beretta or Uberti marked, are better timed and fitted than the current Ruger sixguns. That said, you'll never wear out a Ruger.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:17:24 AM »

Offline ChuteTheMall

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 10:46:43 PM »
I bought a brand new Ruger New Model Super Single Six for under $80.00, including both cylinders.
Best gun I ever bought, and also the first gun I ever bought.
I still have it, and always will.
 8)

Should I mention that I bought it at Woolco in the summer of 1973? ;D

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 05:18:09 AM »
Ah had one at about the same time, traded it fer a model 37 Ithaca featherlight 20 gauge, both great guns. just bought another Ruger ss in 22-22mag last winter. Wish Ah still had the first one, not sorry bout the Ithaca tho.  :) WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 09:20:06 PM »
Hey everybody - just a quick update. I've fired 988 rounds through the EAA Bounty Hunter. No problems, no misfires, and having a ball!! I'll post another update when I hit 1500 rounds.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 05:52:20 AM »
Ruger just yesterday announced  the new "Single 10".

Looks like it is the same size as the Single 6, but there are 10 holes in the cylinder.

It does NOT seem to come with a 22 mag cylinder like the Single 6 does.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 06:47:07 AM »
Saw that, figured it might be the same size cyl. as 357 etc. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline sack peterson

• Very Active Citizen
    • Stag Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 08:08:06 AM »
This is nice.  And, it's for sale!

http://www.sackpeterson.com/models/dakota.jpg

Offline Aiden528

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 02:32:27 AM »
Personally I am a big fan of birdshead grips but finding Single sixes with them are a pain especially 4". If you can get over the stupid hammer block safety, I can recommend Heritage rough riders, I had a little 3" B/H which was a great backpacking pistol and a lot of fun to go plinking with. Really wish I still had it cause they e become a hard find now also n

Offline Rafe Covington

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 07:40:05 PM »
I have a Ruger Single Six 22 LR/22 MAG with 9.5 in barrel, probably has 10K rounds thru it with nary a problem. I would always recommend the Ruger.

Rafe
If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 05:12:41 AM »
I bought a brand new Ruger New Model Super Single Six for under $80.00, including both cylinders.
Best gun I ever bought, and also the first gun I ever bought.
I still have it, and always will.
 8)

Should I mention that I bought it at Woolco in the summer of 1973? ;D

I could echo this word for word ..except "I still have it" part  :( and the Woolco parts , yeah ! I remember them )

Traded the Single 6 in a moment of lust ( not sorry for the lusted after piece , but sorry I let the Ruger go for it ! )
I remember going to Woolco when they closing down out of Business, they were selling out everything 1/2 price.
They had 5 Marlin Glenfields 22 Semi autos at $99 @ 1/2 price $49.50 each, they would not let me buy all 5 ( saying it was not fair to any other customers  :-\ )  I bought 2 and went back with my Dad to buy two more they were all sold.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline ConfederateNorth

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 10:05:59 AM »
My first, and to date only SA pistol is my Ruger Bearcat. I love the ever loving crap out of this gun. I bought it used, and have put Lord only knows how many rounds through it.

I have no experience with other SA's, but this little rascal is how I got bit by the CAS Bug.
I saw this in a movie once, and I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Offline mcgiiver

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 10:45:36 PM »
I own a Heritage Rough Rider and would say stay away from them at all cost. A real junker that spits lead all the time, simply not very accurate. Pot metal frame with some green finish which is supposed to be case hardened look. Cylinder is hard to unload.

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 04:27:34 AM »
I have to say Ruger's Bearcat is hard to beat.  I also enjoy my Colt Scout that is from 1964, and another truly fun, well made, and the size of a Colt SAA, I have a USFA 12/22 and Rimfire Plinker with dual cylinders.  All shoot great and represent different price ranges.  Here is a picture of my USFAs.

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 03:11:30 PM »
Colt has actually producted 3 Rimfire single actions.  All are built on 7/8 size SAA frames.  I spend a fair amount of time collecting them:

1) Colt Scout (made 1957 to 1970).  Aluminum frame, fixed sights.
2) Colt New Frontier (made 1970 to 1986) Steel frame, adjustable sights
3) Colt Peacemaker (1970 to 1977)  Steel frame, fixed sights.

You can find them in .22LR and .22LR/.22WMR convertible.  The WMR cylinders are usually unfluted.  A variety of barrel lengths were made from  4.75" up to Buntline specials.

These are all avaliable at auction at prices comparable to a new Single Six.

The "nicest" ones I've handled and own are the 1970 to 1977 steel frame models.  Their fit and finish are a bit nicer.  The 1980's New Frontier's have a much rougher finish and incorporate a strange "lawyer safety" inside the loading gate.  (I own one and can post pictures if anyone is interested).  The Scouts are nice, but very light due to the alloy frame.

One "bargain" out there:  Commemoratives.  Many commemoratives were made on the "Scout" model.  They did not hold value very well, and as such many have been turned and some fired.  If you hunt around, you can find some of these Commemoratives in less than "collector grade condition".  They usually sell for a song and smile.  I've gotten 2 Commemorative in slightly used condition for $300.

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 05:23:49 PM »
Colt has actually producted 3 Rimfire single actions.  All are built on 7/8 size SAA frames.  I spend a fair amount of time collecting them:

1) Colt Scout (made 1957 to 1970).  Aluminum frame, fixed sights.
2) Colt New Frontier (made 1970 to 1986) Steel frame, adjustable sights
3) Colt Peacemaker (1970 to 1977)  Steel frame, fixed sights.

Pancho,
I had a Colt Frontier Scout, nickel plated, 22 LR that I purchased in the mid 60's. Couldn't have been aluminum if nickel plated. Not meaning to undermine your statement, but just wondering if you considered those models.
 :)

Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 08:53:35 PM »
Pancho,
I had a Colt Frontier Scout, nickel plated, 22 LR that I purchased in the mid 60's. Couldn't have been aluminum if nickel plated. Not meaning to undermine your statement, but just wondering if you considered those models.
 :)

Deadeye Dick

Deadeye,

Your Scout is a "K" frame.  These were all nickel plated.  The frame on these is made from Zamac 3 alloy.  It is a mixture of 96% zinc and 4% aluminum.  Zamac 3 will take a nickel plate.  Zamac 3 was also used in the "P" series Scouts which are blued.  These were advertised by Colt as "Heavy Frame Scouts".   The Zamac frame is also used on many of the commemorative Scouts.

"K" and "P" series Scouts weigh 6 oz more than the Q & F frame Scouts which are made from Aluminum Alloy 518 (92% aluminum & 8% magnesium).

All this info is courtesy of: Wilkerson, Don  "Colt Scouts, Peacemakers, & New Frontiers".  Walsworth Pub.  1993.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 09:27:22 AM »
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline mracheson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 03:19:57 PM »
I own a Heritage Rough Rider and would say stay away from them at all cost. A real junker that spits lead all the time, simply not very accurate. Pot metal frame with some green finish which is supposed to be case hardened look. Cylinder is hard to unload.
Ditto.  Mine is a blue birdshead model.  Not accurate.  The cylinder ratchets are eating the soft alloy frame creating cylinder shake after only as few hundred rounds of .22lr.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com