Author Topic: What are the odds?  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What are the odds?
« on: May 18, 2012, 11:23:29 PM »
Back in '66, I picked up a Sharps .50-70 cartridge conversion carbine with a name carved in the stock. It was a fairly unusual name, and anyway I was looking for a shooter!  I tracked the gent for over 20 years, off and on, and got a lot of information on him.

Today, I happened to spot another Sharps .50-70 carbine at a collectors' gun show. It, too has a name carved in the stock.  What are the odds that I could track the owner of this piece with the name..."TOM"?  ::) :P  :o  Now, Gen George Crook's chief packer was Tom Moore. So it could be his. (More than likely he'd have carved his last name, or at least an initial.) Since he was paid pretty well, I doubt he'd have done it this way.  So how many other "Tom's" could have used this carbine?  There were five Sharps carbines at Sidney Barracks, Nebraska in 1872-1876 (when the Ordnance records stop!  :( But since the conversions were made and issued without regard to serial numbers, that is a dead end. Serial numbers were not recorded anyway!  BTW, Tom Moore's sister was...Carry Nation!  :o  But in spite of his being a hard drinker, she apparently never said anything to him about abstinance!  ;D  And, NO! I haven't bought the Sharps belonging to "TOM"...yet!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: What are the odds?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »