Special Interests - Groups & Societies > BROW

1871 Springfield rolling block

<< < (2/3) > >>

Kent Shootwell:
Got to shoot it yesterday with 480 grain bullet and 60 grains of 2fg. A gong at 50 yards on a windy day gave a satisfying ding. This is a weird rifle, you cock it to load then have to cock it again to fire. That’s because when the breech is closed the hammer drops slightly to lock the breech. Then you have to bring it to full cock from this mostly cocked position. I like light triggers on any gun so this one was quite the test to me. My buddy shot it first and the trigger pull had him struggling as well. Even with his comment about how heavy it is I had to stop and take another breath of air before getting it to fire! It’s a very well built rifle and shoots to the sights as best you can tell from our plinking. Recoil with this 50/70 is like a kiss on the cheek. He’s figuring that he’ll take it to the collectors show next month and sell or trade it already.

Trailrider:
Why?

Dave T:

--- Quote from: Kent Shootwell on April 18, 2022, 10:09:32 AM ---This is a weird rifle, you cock it to load then have to cock it again to fire. That’s because when the breech is closed the hammer drops slightly to lock the breech. Then you have to bring it to full cock from this mostly cocked position.

--- End quote ---

Kent,

That description of the action's function sounds exactly like the New York State Militia 50-70 rifle I once owned.  I read up on it years ago and the memory is that  modification was requested by the State of New York as a safety feature.  They were apparently afraid of their troops being able lower the hammer on a loaded chamber without accidents.  Seems like New York hasn't changed what they think of us, the unwashed and incapable lower ranks.  (smile)

Dave

Niederlander:
It's not a lot different than the people who insist on bringing a Trapdoor to half cock (instead of full cock) to load it.  Why?  Your finger is nowhere near the trigger while you load, and it just adds another step to the firing process.

Lucky R. K.:

If you are good with working springs you can grind the hammer spring to relieve some of the stiffness. You can also put in a weaker spring for the trigger. I did this to my 7MM action and got the trigger pull down to a reliable, crisp 3-1/2 Lb. pull.
Lucky

Advertisers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version