Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Colt Firearms

A sad fate for an Artillery model

<< < (4/4)

Roscoe Coles:
The Artillery model went off to a smith in Florida that specializes in finish work (including plating).  He is going to strip the nickel and gold for me.  He has done this job on other guns.  We had some conversations about making sure not to damage the underlying steel in any way.  He thinks it can be done without too much trouble. Keeping my fingers crossed that it all goes well.  I also got a package of small parts (screws etc) to replace the banged up/plated ones that came on the gun.  Luckily, the bolt and hand were fine. I am on the hunt for a good period cylinder.  Given the artillery rebuild at colt, that could be an 1880s period cylinder or a 1900-1903 era civilian cylinder (which were used when originals were to worn).   

Roscoe Coles:
Just an update.  The gun came back from stripping and it is going to need some build up on some of the edges.  There are a couple of holes in the grip frame that need to be filled.  I am finishing up a bathroom remodel and getting some work done on my 1926 speedster project, so this is on the back burner for a bit.  But, it’s going off to the welder  in a bit. 

Abilene:
Looking forward to the "finished" pictures to come.  :)

Advertising:

Niederlander:
There's a military cylinder on e-Bay right now.  It's expensive (and rough), but it's available.
s

The original bad bob:
Military Colts are coveted collector items now..But at one point in time they were considered obsolete surplus and sold for as little as $7.50 by mail order.

I think you have a neat old west  gun there with character.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version