Author Topic: A Coffinmaker inspired project  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Smokey Dave

• STORM #445
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 107837
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
A Coffinmaker inspired project
« on: October 22, 2020, 01:31:18 PM »
I know this type of gun isn't most people's cup o' tea. And that's okay. But for some reason I gravitate to the shorter barreled guns. Maybe it's because I know that my eyes are bad and getting worse, and the long distance pistol shot is out of the question. Maybe I just think they look sinister and cool. Maybe it makes it easier for my 16 year old daughter to wield. Maybe it's all of the above!

I've always admired the pistols created by our very own Coffinmaker. I share his penchant for the shorties. After seeing the engraved Dance pistols he did, I knew I had to create one of my own. This is the start of that project. Eventually I'll remove the recoil shields to make them actual Dance guns. But for now, the project is at least a functioning pistol.

It's not really a true "Snubby" or "Belly Gun". The barrel is a tad under 3 1/2" long. You'll notice I elected to leave the loading lever on too. You're probably thinking that it's absolutely useless at that length. But with a extension cheater bar on it, It works just fine. You'll also notice there's no latch. I took my inspiration for that directly from Coffinmakers guns.  I pinched the lug where the lever attaches, and it's not going anywhere.

I also put a little crown on the barrel, and put a brass blade sight on it.

So that's where the project is at right now. I will also be reworking the tail of the grip frame, to more closely look like the originals. As the project progresses, I'll post updates here.

Thanks to Coffinmaker for the inspiration on this one.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: A Coffinmaker inspired project
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 01:44:38 PM »
A fine start, I must say. It looks cool. Nice work so far.

You could almost use a crescent wrench for a rammer extension handle.  ;D Seriously, though, is there enough material in that end to drill it to slip a piece of 3/16" 4130 rod in there to use as a handle? I say 4130 because that stuff is tough and doesn't bend easily.

I've also admired Coffinmaker's Dance snubbies. Those are a cool pair. This one will be fun to follow along that road.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Smokey Dave

• STORM #445
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 03:09:20 PM »
A fine start, I must say. It looks cool. Nice work so far.

You could almost use a crescent wrench for a rammer extension handle.  ;D Seriously, though, is there enough material in that end to drill it to slip a piece of 3/16" 4130 rod in there to use as a handle? I say 4130 because that stuff is tough and doesn't bend easily.

I've also admired Coffinmaker's Dance snubbies. Those are a cool pair. This one will be fun to follow along that road.

Thanks Marshal.

Funny you should mention the 4130 rod. I was actually thinking that very thing.
-Abe Lincoln

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:27:40 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 03:32:19 PM »
When I saw the subject title "A Coffinmaker inspired project"  I KNEW it was going to be a snubby!  ;D

Looks great.  I especially like the transition to the round barrel.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 04:05:48 PM »

Thanks Marshal.

Funny you should mention the 4130 rod. I was actually thinking that very thing.
If you ever put a conversion cylinder in it, you could use it to push out the spent cases, too.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 08:36:55 AM »
A long while back I made a pocket Walker from an old ASM.  Great fun ;D
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 08:57:41 AM »

:) The Fire  ;)

I've had an "itch" for years to build a pair of Snubbie Walkers.  Just haven't had the opportunity to gather the "donors" yet.  Yet!!

Stay Safe Out There

PS:  A picture > > > Walker Snubbies, Cartridge Conversions, shooting .45 BRIMSTONE!!!  Wowzers you betcha

Offline Smokey Dave

• STORM #445
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 10:08:00 AM »
Pocket and Walker aren't two words you hear in the same sentence very often!!

I love it! I've often thought of doing this also. I'd like to find a couple of well used Walkers and give them new life by doing this to them.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 04:22:13 PM »
@ndnchf I have seen where lots of folks have problems with regular Walkers dropping the loading lever when shooting. Does this one do that? I was curious as there doesn't seem to be enough weight out front to give it any leverage to do so.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 07:51:52 PM »
@ndnchf I have seen where lots of folks have problems with regular Walkers dropping the loading lever when shooting. Does this one do that? I was curious as there doesn't seem to be enough weight out front to give it any leverage to do so.

No, it stays put. No problem with it dropping.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 07:56:27 PM »
In case anyone was wondering if the loading lever on my pocket Walker is usable - the answer is yes. Do you see the steel tube sticking through the triggerguard?  It slips over the stubby loading lever to provide the needed leverage for loading.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 10:18:23 PM »
This is not my ad, I just ran across it on Armslist and it seems like a good deal for those interested in this thread.  And he will sell the conversion cylinder alone for $150. 
https://www.armslist.com/posts/13114554/kansas-city-kansas-muzzle-loaders-for-sale--uberti-1847-walker-black-powder

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com