Author Topic: Dancing  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Dancing
« on: August 08, 2020, 06:17:16 PM »
Well, ordered 2 Old Silver Dance revolvers off the Old South site,  one to chop, one to engrave.  Both are now in my hands.

Good:  Well finished, perfectly timed, not too many burrs.  A few minutes with a few stones cleaned them up.  Both shot about 2" above point of aim,  200 grain conical over 25 grains 3f.  Windage dead on.  I suspect a round ball would be close to on.  Really nice wood with good figure on the grips, and indeed they are 1851 standard, no flare at the bottom.  Recovered bullets show full engraving, chambers and barrel appear very close.  Both break down without tools. Cylinder gaps are under .005, arbor bottomed as it should be.

Bad: One has a HAIR trigger.  I had hoped this was a bur, but cleaning it up changed nothing.  This will need to be addressed.  The other is quite nice. 

Weird: Why do these have 7 1/2" barrels?  Serial numbers are 42 apart, yet one is laser engraved, the other crudely hand stamped. (The hand stamped match's the last 4 of my SSN) Every screw on both was finger tight.  No gorillas at Pietta, but shouldn't they at least be snug?  One of them had the trigger and bolt screws swapped.  Pay attention Luigi!

Verdict.  The CNC work is fantastic.  But the wine still flows freely at lunchtime in Val Trompia.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: Dancing
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 12:07:59 AM »
OOOOOhhh Drydock!

fotos, tintypes, images, please!
Do you have an engraver in mind?
watcha gonna do with the excess barrel bits?
you know, you can make a dandy little vestposcket derringer with those cutoffs...

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 07:19:47 PM »
Well, Jim Downing has agreed to do the engraving in October, he's just a couple of hours away from me here in MO.  He tells me he's never done a Dance, very interested.  I'm trying to get ahold of someone recommended in Texas to cut one of the barrels. 

Excess barrel bits may be sent to Coffinmaker, as doners for his so often barrel deprived guns, or perhaps to be used as sacrifices to the hacksaw wielding elves that seemingly plague his existence.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:59:47 PM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 11:00:06 PM »
That's a fine looking revolver. It'll be fun to see it engraved.

How deep is the laser engraving? Is it something that can be easily defarbed? (Farbed off? No, that's too rude sounding.)

Do we need an official Dance thread? There must be 4 or 5 of us with them. ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 08:39:19 AM »
The only laser engraving on this particular gun is the serial number.  Barrel and proof marks are conventional stamps.  Both are stamped "2019" on the barrel underside, with box "CU" proof dates.  Defarbing these would not be hard I would think.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 09:47:23 AM »

:)  Oh Yessssssssssss  ;)

A great blank canvas for an engraver.  My pair of Pietta Dance & Brothers guns were lavishly factory laser engraved (Tin Types on another thread).  I think you'd have to sand/grind/polish half the gun away to remove the engraving.  It looks good enough I wouldn't even consider it.  Nope.  No way.

My Pair did have an altercation with my alter ego though.  That crazed "Hacksaw MacGurk" fought 'em while new and lopped of the front 4 inches of barrel.  They are now Uber Fine SNUBBIES.  Oh FUN!!

HIDE AND WATCH

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 10:11:44 AM »
Thanks, if the only laser engraving is the serial number, the rest shouldn't be an issue.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 12:57:58 PM »
OK then.  Barrel in the mail today to "The Gun Shop"  Sapulpa OK, "Snake Oil George" the gunsmith.  Highly recommended, and he answers his phone!  Hard to find a real smith anymore, and not just someone who screws parts onto ARs.  918-321-5128 shop, 918-729-0430 cell.  No email, no website.  Should have it back in 3 weeks or so.  No money until it's finished.

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 01:41:08 PM »
Serial numbers xxx50 & xxx51 are now in a "fosterhome" in Kentucky.
Come next summer I hope they will be going home to "Dad", where they will remain un-cut and un-engraved.

Having missed out on not one, but two "Texas Dragoons" (early Uberti "Tucker & Sherrard" replicas) at gun auctions in the last two years, I jumped at the opportunity of procuring a couple of bonafide Texas pistols for my Ranger Cap'n impression from Old South Firearms.

I think the idea of an official Dance thread is a splendid one, may I perhaps even suggest a "Handguns of the Confederacy"-forum...?

Now, if "Luigi" would get off his hands and make me a couple of "Navy sized" Volcanic repeating pistols (with short-stroke kits installed) in .44 Russian......THEN I'd be a happy camper...!  ::)
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 01:53:50 PM »
Good on ya!

(Between these and a Trapdoor in the Barracks, I feel like I found a litter of kittens good homes . . .)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com