Author Topic: Free Bore ??  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
Free Bore ??
« on: June 07, 2020, 11:49:05 AM »
  ( quite )HEY !! anyone ever take time to ck. the free bore on " our " 40-60 ( Chaparral ) win.??

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Free Bore ??
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 09:42:04 AM »

:)  Unfortunately   ;)

Unfortunately, I never had opportunity to work on a Chaparral I considered safe to fire.  Understanding, I only got to see the guns that were problematic.  Since the parts meant to replace the really bad parts, were actually worse, I gave up working on Chaparral.  the cost to make one right was more than the original purchase price.  One fella, use to commune here listed everything he had to do to make his right.  The cost was staggering.

This obviously does not answer the OPs query.  Butt hey .... it's Friday  ::)   Oh, considering Chaparral quality, I would not be surprised to be able to park a Cadillac in the freebore

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 02:52:32 PM »
 Thank's Coffin,, knew I could count on you( love your comic- taires ,, lol ). I have spent the week cutting 40-60 brass to different OAL,, using the same powder chg. & bullet weights for each OAL, to see just how much diff. it would make ( shooting 50yds. ) ,, and my Chappie has a tunnel of free bore @ .177 ,, that is from the lands to the ogive ( Lyman 403168 ) used from .208grs. up to .217grs. +/-. What I determined is ( was ) " I'm a lousy shot ". Each group shot some very tight groups,, and each group had a flyer ,, or two w/ the higher powder chgs. shooting slightly lower ,, YMMV ,, anyway it got me out of the house .  ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:15:21 PM »

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 09:12:14 AM »
Glad to hear you are doing some shooting Slamfire . How are you measuring the Free Bore on your chamber ?  I have a Winchester 40-60 WCF barrel on my desk now  ( another build )  the bore and rifling on this one is in very very good condition .  I have not done a chamber cast on it , but can see the free bore easily the barrel is off the action . From what I can see it appears to be shorter than you are describing on your Chaparral .  It really shouldn't matter much if you can seat your bullet out enough and still cycle through the magazine . Anyhow glad you are getting out , no shooting over this way . Hope I can soon . Take care ,,,,,DT .

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 10:42:24 AM »

A Long Time Ago .. In a Galaxy Far Far Away (Howz that fer an Intro) I dabbled in a game called "Bench Rest"    We were shooting rifles that weighed upwards of 35 pound, with barrels of enormous girth.  Launching bullets over increadable distance, in search of that most elusive "One Hole Group."

Case preparation is/was paramount.  Cases were weighed, primer pockets uniformed, flash holes uniformed, cases precisely trimmed for length, case neck precision reamed to uniform thickness, in fact, preparation was add nauseaium.  Took forever and two weeks just to prep 20 cases.  Then came the search for the Perfect Bullet.  Thense the Perfect Primer.  Only then could you begin to seek a "load"   Where is this uber Verbose testament going you ask.  I Don't remember.  Oh wait.  I remember now.

There were two schools of thought concerning "Free Bore"   One school maintained free bore was an absolute necessity and then devolved into a long and sometimes loud argument as to "how much" free bore.  Bring Popcorn.  Tother schule maintained the bullet should be seated in the case so as to touch the rifling.  Some aficanadsoes spent mini fortunes on barrels to achieve the "Perfect" free bore dimensions.  I found, in MY rifle, I couldn't tell the difference.  Groupe size stayed pretty consistent.  I mean when your heart beat can give you a flyer, gimme a break.  Surprize!!  I was actually able to recoupe my investment when I became unstupid and gave that game up.  I mean after all, What good is a rifle it takes an artillery crew to set in position??  What good is a One Hole Groupe??  Something should be just as dead after the first shot.  Follow up shots are ..... like ordering a Decaff, Skim Milk, non-fat sugarless Latte .... Why Bother.

What was my Point, you may inquire.  Don't have a clue.  It's Sunday.  I shot my first CAS Match since last October, Yesterday.  Today I'm stiff and sore and I need to clean guns.  Oh, yea, You were able to get out and bust some Caps, and burn some Powder and that can make a Perfect Day.  It is sort of a plus when you hit what you shoot at though.  GOOD JOB

Hide and Watch 

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 02:32:52 PM »
 First !, thank you Coffin ( Mr. Coffin ),, some times out of bord-umm , I start a post just ,, just to get something going ( duh ),, but still seeking knowledge , my o'l chappie does infact shoot very well ( It's not the gun , but the gunner ). But I do read too much and wonder ,, how much of what i'v read apples  to my situation ,, so I come here and i'm never disappointed.

DT,, I found the easiest way for me ( others will chime in ,,, more knowledge ),, use a fired case from the rifle i'm working on ,, use a soft cast bullet of bore dia. ,and seat the " nose " of the bullet into the case , up to ogive ( yup back-ards ) slide in chamber until I feel  it touch the lands lightly, pull it out , measure OAL,, put into press and seat 1-2 ths. at a time till the case seats,, using " finger " pressure both in & out, you can subtract rim thickness to find chamber length. I can & do load long for my 40-60,, most of the time .
 Another 40-60  project, they are sweet , keep us posted ( pics ).

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 01:53:17 PM »
Not going to Hi-Jack your thread Amigo . I'll post something  about the project soon and be sure to put a pic. or two so the King don't get on me . Thank's for the Coffee ,,,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 02:10:06 PM »
Free Bore .,,,DT

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 04:15:14 PM »
 Now that is just cool,, thanks DT.

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 09:46:27 AM »
As it is raining, sort of snow and I'm sort of housebound.  For the record, I have found that if I reload to the "book's" C.O.L. I get as good as result as if I spent X amount of time screwing w/ OAL.  ;)  Probably we have morphed this past the original intent.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 01:08:26 PM »
 Hey Matt,, yea,, it called " home bound borduummmm!"but i'm suppose to be able to go out & play ,, again ,, by Friday,, they say . My Chappie's free bore is a might long ( more like a runway ) according to most original Win. spec. and for the most part I do load to Lyman #49 specs., but ,, knowledge to improve is just, one of my " weak points ", that's one reason why I keep coming here.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com