Author Topic: What is the worst western movie that you've ever seen?  (Read 20914 times)

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What is the worst western movie that you've ever seen?
« on: September 27, 2012, 05:09:13 PM »

I was watching the Encore West channel the other day and they played what was definitely the worst western that I have ever had to endure. I only wish that I could remember the name of it, but it was a spaghetti western, complete with the dubbed in dialog and starring Giovanni Nevahurdahim, and Marinara Gotsumbiguns or some other never heard of thems. Anyway, it got me to thinking what IS the worst western movie of all time?
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: What is the worst western movie that you've ever seen?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:47:01 PM »
White Comanche - William Shatner plays a cowboy and his indian twin brother
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 08:11:59 PM »
I didn't know a bad western movie was ever made...  ;D  I just thought some western movies were better than others...!  ;D

Bill

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:57:53 PM »

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:02:13 PM »
Stillwater,

That's exactly what I was going to say....  Bad Western...is there such a thing?

Slickshot

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 637
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 08:58:36 AM »
Stillwater:

Exactly.  I read that to my family and they all laughed, as if that wasn't a serious comment.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 11:06:58 AM »
Stillwater,

That's exactly what I was going to say....  Bad Western...is there such a thing?

Slickshot

Yes, there is.  If you haven't seen one yet; you just haven't been looking.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Durango Flinthart

• Top Active Citizen
  • Forty miles a day on beans and hay...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 12:56:32 PM »
The Oater that falls to the bottom of my list is "The Return of Josey Wales" starring Michael Parks as Josey. I know that there are other "Horse Operas" that have the aroma of pasture puddin' but I expected more from a movie based on the Clint Eastwood classic.

Watch your topknot
When the cambrian measures were forming they promised purpetual peace. They swore if we gave up our weapons the wars of the tribes, they would cease, but when we disarmed they enslaved us and delivered us bound to our foe and the Gods of the copybook headings said, "Stick to the devil you know." Kipling

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 01:04:37 PM »
Yes, there is.  If you haven't seen one yet; you just haven't been looking.

You don't understand what I said...!

Bill

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »
Yes...the worst Western ever made was "Lust in the Dust" starring Tab Hunter and a 300+ pound transvestite named "Divine".

Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 06:55:21 PM »
Realy???!! William Shatner? Oh, Encore West, please spare me from that one.
Well now, the movie "Adios Sabata", where Yul Brynner plays Sabata was pretty bad too, but I'm not quite sure of which was worse, Yul Bryner or the silly costume he wore.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 11:02:40 PM »
I'd rate Dances With Wolves pretty high up on the bad western movies list.  Can't stand Costner, or the way the movie perverts history as bad as any B movie of the 40's.  The liberal feel good western.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 12:51:17 AM »
Started to watch one...something about roses...staring a trio of African-American chicks...and threw in the towel less than ten minutes in.

The Wild Wild West movie runs it a close second and then Lust In The Dust.

Shalako was great book and a terrible movie.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 03:49:43 AM »
Dances with Wolves. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 09:48:42 AM »
Stillwater,

Slickshot

there like pizza's.

Like some pizza's I won't be having seconds on, there's too many westerns I won't watch again.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 06:56:02 AM »
I know I am warped, but I lmao while watching lust in the dust.  It was not done by John Waters, but had his scent.  Now, I have not returned to it in many many years. 

Offline Bonnie_blue1861

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 11:13:44 PM »
The Oater that falls to the bottom of my list is "The Return of Josey Wales" starring Michael Parks as Josey. I know that there are other "Horse Operas" that have the aroma of pasture puddin' but I expected more from a movie based on the Clint Eastwood classic.

Watch your topknot

I've prided myself on watching Josey Wales...well... way, way too many times but I must admit I never even knew that there was a movie called "The Return of Josey Wales".

Now that I just found out a "sequel" exists, I'm tempted to watch it... but fear that doing so, may be a bad idea... if its as bad a you say. Its hard to believe any sequel without Eastwood as Josey could work...after all, no one can spit plug on a dog or the bodies of dead scoundrels like Eastwood could, in the original.

I guess for that reason alone "The Return of Josey Wales" falls into this discussion category.

As a side not for those of you that don't have it..having the Encore Western Chanel is a wonderful thing.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 11:21:05 PM »
'Texas Rangers', it was supposed to be based on McNelly's Rangers. Historically it stank to High Heaven.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
I'm curious about the slagging of "Dances With Wolves" and the comment that it is the "liberal's western". I thought it refreshing to get the viewpoint from the other side, unlike the "only good Injun is a dead one" we came to expect in most.

The slaughter of the buffalo was a travesty, hardly a high water mark in western history. The destruction of a way of life that had existed for milennia was a form of genocide, no less reprehensible than the Nazi Holocaust or the Balkans "ethnic cleansing" in that it was government sponsored and endorsed.
It is a fact that the US Army lived in fear of Indian attacks' often holing up in their forts hardly daring to forage for firewood. It took overwhelming miitary action to defeat them during the 'Indian Wars' despite the loss of their mobile food supply - the buffalo. Treaties were meaningless as they were never made in good faith.
Tribes were relocated at the point of a bayonet, shot down on the merest pretext. This theme is also brought out in the movie "Legends of the Fall" with Anthony Hopkins.

As for sheer cinematic beauty and musical score, DWW has to be one of the best. Right from the get-go, with Costner riding 'Cisco' in front of the Rebel lines hoping to get shot. His interaction with the Indians he met makes me wonder what I would have done in the same situation - cringed in fear like the soldiers who had preceeded him or take the bold step of initiating contact through the saving of the white captive.
Compared to the premise of so many other fanciful western movies, this one had drama, pathos, empathy and a deep philosophic theme throughout.

I'm not a bleeding heart liberal by any stretch, even referred to as a white red neck by some for my dislike of current Indian politics, but I recognize history unapologetically - good or bad.

Just another opinion ... ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »

This theme is also brought out in the movie "Legends of the Fall" with Anthony Hopkins.

Do you really believe political or social data shown in entertainment movies to be correct?

Bill

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 12:37:59 PM »
I'm curious about the slagging of "Dances With Wolves" and the comment that it is the "liberal's western". I thought it refreshing to get the viewpoint from the other side, unlike the "only good Injun is a dead one" we came to expect in most.

The slaughter of the buffalo was a travesty, hardly a high water mark in western history. The destruction of a way of life that had existed for milennia was a form of genocide, no less reprehensible than the Nazi Holocaust or the Balkans "ethnic cleansing" in that it was government sponsored and endorsed.
It is a fact that the US Army lived in fear of Indian attacks' often holing up in their forts hardly daring to forage for firewood. It took overwhelming miitary action to defeat them during the 'Indian Wars' despite the loss of their mobile food supply - the buffalo. Treaties were meaningless as they were never made in good faith.
Tribes were relocated at the point of a bayonet, shot down on the merest pretext. This theme is also brought out in the movie "Legends of the Fall" with Anthony Hopkins.

As for sheer cinematic beauty and musical score, DWW has to be one of the best. Right from the get-go, with Costner riding 'Cisco' in front of the Rebel lines hoping to get shot. His interaction with the Indians he met makes me wonder what I would have done in the same situation - cringed in fear like the soldiers who had preceeded him or take the bold step of initiating contact through the saving of the white captive.
Compared to the premise of so many other fanciful western movies, this one had drama, pathos, empathy and a deep philosophic theme throughout.

I'm not a bleeding heart liberal by any stretch, even referred to as a white red neck by some for my dislike of current Indian politics, but I recognize history unapologetically - good or bad.

Just another opinion ... ;>)

DWW would have been a good movie (Not a great movie, but much better) if they had found ANYONE but Costner to play that part.  Same with Silverado.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com