Author Topic: Winchester Loading Tools for my .45-75  (Read 979 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Winchester Loading Tools for my .45-75
« on: March 25, 2023, 04:05:57 PM »
Although final verdict must await actual receipt and inspection of course, I am well pleased with a successful online auction bid today for some antique Winchester loading tools for the .45-75 - what I believe to be a Model 1880 "Small Handle" loading tool, a Model 1894 loading tool and a bullet mould … all of which appear to be in pretty good shape from the single online photo. 

The auction included quite a number of antique loading tool lots, but unfortunately the descriptions were lacking any specific detail regarding condition, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will be in useable condition, based on their apparent external condition.

Although I have a Lee Hand Press for "field loading" (the kind that takes the same dies used in a bench-mounted press) I have long thought it would be neat to have an actual original vintage loading tool for that purpose … now, I hopefully have two different vintage tools for the .45-75 cartridge!
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Knarley Bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
Re: Winchester Loading Tools for my .45-75
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 04:50:33 PM »
So you know what that means, you gonna haffta melt your lead over an open fire now too!!!! ;D
Not on our watch

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 09:10:18 PM »
Nice find and all at one location.
Black River Smith

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:55:36 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 03:57:40 PM »
Be sure to report back when you get them in hand!

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 11:15:32 AM »
I use original Winchester molds and tools for all of my .45-75 and .50 Express black powder loads.  I think they work better than die sets.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 11:19:53 AM »
I use original Winchester molds and tools for all of my .45-75 and .50 Express black powder loads.  I think they work better than die sets.
Now that’s encouraging!   ;D
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 02:08:13 PM »
Update:

I received the loading tools (… some time ago, actually, but have been remiss in reporting back …)

Anyway, they are all in excellent "used but not abused" condition, apparetnly well suited to actual loading use.  Unfortunately, neither loading tool came with a decapping insert ... which is usually missing, I gather.

(Insincere apologies for the background -  ratty old carpet on my work surface!)

The mold cavity looks pretty good, although I probably won't get an opportunity to cast any bullets for a while …

I ordered the necessary Lee guiding decappers (got three of them while I was at it) and have just finished shortening one of them to the appropriate length, and reshaping the "bullet end", for use in the Winchester tools.  Seems to work just fine in both of them!  (Image on the right is the decapping insert fully seated in a deprimed case, not a loaded cartridge …)

(By the way, I do not have anything as fancy as a metal lathe or milling machine … but it is amazing what one can do with a drillpress and some files!)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 09:27:35 PM »
Just as tip.  'DO NOT' put the steel decapper into the sizing chamber of that 1894 tool.  To properly decap with this tool -- you place the fired casing into the handle(after the sizing chamber has been unscrewed and set aside), then insert the depirming/decapping pin in the casing and then tap it with a wooden block.  Really you can use anything wooden hammer/push the decapper, to get primer out.

The biggest issue as stated in the Usage Instructions -- is NEVER put anything metal/steel into the resizing chamber.  Just the brass casing and the proper lead bullet.  LUBE both of them when loading in that chamber.  The lead can stick.

Hope this helps you.
Black River Smith

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 01:27:44 AM »
'DO NOT' put the steel decapper into the sizing chamber of that 1894 tool.

Thank you for that advice … I will heed it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com