Author Topic: Single shot rifle for Plainsman and pistol question  (Read 1492 times)

Offline C. Note

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 2029
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Single shot rifle for Plainsman and pistol question
« on: February 26, 2023, 10:55:50 PM »
Hi. Just read the rules for the Plainsman regarding rifles. It mentions “muskets”.
It also says that authenticity is promoted.

Could I use a Smith Carbine? It uses a rubber cartridge and a musket cap.
How about my CS Richmond Carbine (muzzle loader)?

Regarding having to shoot duelist……. I have some weakness in my left hand, which makes cocking a single action revolver difficult. In fact, it might even be considered a safety issue, with a loaded gun. Can I still participate in Plainsman and fire both revolvers with my right hand?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Single shot rifle for Plainsman and pistol question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 08:16:39 AM »

:) Jason  ;)

Don't get terribly wrapped around the "authenticity is promoted" stuff.  It fine to say, but the requirement is for an Exposed Hammer single shot rifle.  Those are actually in quite short supply, hence the profusion of H & R Handi Rifles and the "newer" Henry USA single shot.  Your Carbine(s) would be acceptable but very tie consuming.  Might not be lots of fun in an actual match.

Dualist is defined as shooting with "One Hand - Unsupported."  There is no requirement to use both hands.  Shooting right handed only is perfectly acceptable.

People ARE Hazardous to Yer Health

Offline C. Note

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 2029
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 10:24:11 AM »
Smith Carbine has an exposed hammer. Half cock, Breaks open at the breech, insert rubber/plastic cartridge (As originals), close/lock the breech, fix musket cap, aim and fire.

Why wouldn;t it be fun in a match?........OH! I see......"You wouldn't win.". Who cares about "winning"? I care able being able to use the
firearms that i have. Using my Richmond carbine muzzle loader would be slower, but, for me, just as much fun. I've long since given up competing against anyone. I'm there for history and authenticity, which, according to you, many people dont seem to care much about,but that is ok. I'll dress as well as I can and if I am dead last in a field of 1000, so be it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:07:54 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 08:04:45 AM »

>:( JASON  :(

Well excuse me all to heck for being up front with you.  My comment had and has nothing to do with "winning" it would be a drag to run a Muzzleloader for six to eight rounds in a Plainsman match.  Understanding, Plainsman is normally run as a side match, not a main match and usually have a limited amount of time.

And since we're being annoying (you ARE annoying) where'd you get a 4 digit SASS number at this point in time??  You obviously haven't been around the game that long.

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 08:35:41 AM »

I don't think this guy is really real.
Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 08:35:02 AM »

:) LUCKY  ;)

TROLL comes to mind.

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 01:05:51 PM »
Troll or not, Jason makes a good point and misses another.

First, we should agree that shooting the guns we have and like is always a good idea regardless or our final placement on the score sheet. Hence folks who shoot duelist or 87's (or a .45 Colt converted 3rd model Dragoon).

Second (and Jason missed this one), he has an excellent excuse to buy a new rifle (or 2). "beware of the man who only shoots one gun..." but envy the guy who has so many that he has trouble deciding which ones to bring to the range.

Just a thought or two,

Rev. Chase

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 08:07:32 PM »
Smith Carbine has an exposed hammer. Half cock, Breaks open at the breech, insert rubber/plastic cartridge (As originals), close/lock the breech, fix musket cap, aim and fire.

Why wouldn;t it be fun in a match?........OH! I see......"You wouldn't win.". Who cares about "winning"? I care able being able to use the
firearms that i have. Using my Richmond carbine muzzle loader would be slower, but, for me, just as much fun. I've long since given up competing against anyone. I'm there for history and authenticity, which, according to you, many people dont seem to care much about,but that is ok. I'll dress as well as I can and if I am dead last in a field of 1000, so be it.

(*Note: I revised this from my earlier reply because this is a good question and I'd prefer to keep this conversation friendly rather than just bite someone's head off, so here goes.)

Jason, I am chiming in as the moderator. I don't care what you shoot; if you are having a good time and keeping it safe, I'm for it. The authenticity guidelines here are more about what guns and topics are appropriate to discuss for our group.  I'm not sure that you are aware of it but your reply came across as pretty disrespectful to a  member who was just giving you friendly advice.  People who start fights here will be removed from the group, so I want to emphasize that everyone, including myself are expected to keep it civil. If you meant no disrespect, I'll accept that and we can move on.

Most of the people here are competitive shooters in multiple categories. If you only shoot for a hobby, that is fine but understand that Coffinmaker was giving you advice because it sounded like you were interested in competitive shooting events. I was under that impression as well. Since you are only interested in hobby-shooting, nobody is going to bother you as long as you are following range safety rules. If you have any kind of physical limitations,  it won't matter as long as you can safely manage your firearms with your other shooting hand.

If you are new to this hobby, welcome. Even though this discussion got off to a rocky start, let's turn it into something positive instead.

Thanks

-Dave

Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2023, 04:07:53 PM »
Dave, et al, I believe there was also some confusion here with the "Plainsman" category for SASS shooting and our "The American Plainsman Society."  Two separate things altogether.

Jake, aka Ron Clark

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 12:30:35 PM »
The first Smith Carbine's were probably delivered to the US government sometime in 1860.  The first order for the Smith was placed with the manufacture in February 1860.  By the American Plainsmen Society definition we cover the period from 1850 to 1860, therefore the Smith is acceptable. 

As Jake stated we have nothing to do with the SASS Plainsman class.  If we ever get together to shoot our events will be more like a Mountain Man Rendezvous. 

T-Joe

NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2023, 01:24:17 AM »
Jake, Joe, I agree on both points. I am for hearing competition tips and living history posts, but I also see them as two separate elements of the historic shooting experience. As much as I appreciate the competitive side of the CAS hobby, I am more into the rendezvous and honing the skill of ML shooting personally.  Matches are always fun but building some camaraderie along the way is far more important.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 06:57:00 AM »
I am reminded of one of Cora's best lines in "Quigley Down Under": "Well excuse the hell out of me!" :D

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 10:57:50 PM »
reported

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk