Author Topic: Low dollar, down & dirty, on your knees leatherworking  (Read 852 times)

Offline The original bad bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
Low dollar, down & dirty, on your knees leatherworking
« on: April 16, 2021, 01:04:14 PM »
https://pasteboard.co/JXCUcUR.jpg

Pards here is my personal, in the field black powder shooting set up I just finished making a few weeks ago  out of scrap leather (less belt, which is just an 1-1/2” roller buckle 12oz belt I already had) ... possibles pouch holds leather ball bag that holds 55ea 44 cal lead balls, ,Ted Cash snail capper, nipple wrench, 2oz. Tin of black powder revolver lube (not shown) and small rag to wipe off my hands and gun after reloading.

Leather belt pouch for CVA powder flask ... I didn’t want to have the power flask in the possibles pouch with the other items for fear of a bomb going off on my hip  :o

I also made the  little leather protector for Ted cash snail capper, and the ball bag itself which I made custom size to hold 55ea lead balls because that is the maximum number of rounds I want to reload and fire in the field in one shooting session.

And Slim Jim Holster for 1860 Colt army replica .. I made this out of a leftover piece of 8-9oz Herman oak that I tooled for approx 1-1/2 hrs in a unusual floral pattern that to me looks like an Alien brain LOL!

I field tested it 3 times and I am happy with it .. although carrying all that in a backpack is handier IMO.
But for minimalist hiking/ target shooting ,pretending I am back in the 1860’s in the desert, I like it just fine. ;D

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Low dollar, down & dirty, on your knees leatherworking
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 02:32:28 PM »
Howdy OBB,

Nice looking "scraps". Good work. I would make one suggestion: Leave the powder measure off the belt and on the loading table or gun cart. I have seen the rare result of an errant spark getting into a CVA flask (think grenade). With the blow-by at the cylinder gap, it could be a problem. I don't mean to be a fear monger, but was a consultant on a court case and saw the devastating result. It was not from a revolver, but even with the nice covered design of your pouch, why needlessly take the risk.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 04:53:19 PM »
Nice leather work, Bob. Good choices. Looks very usable.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:22:09 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com