Author Topic: "The Rifleman"  (Read 8375 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"The Rifleman"
« on: April 04, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »
Caught an episode of "The "Rifleman" t'other day .....

He was giving a shooting lesson to a young man and you saw him backing off the set screw in the lever before handing the carbine to him.

Don't recall seeing him doing that very often.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
Re: "The Rifleman"
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 06:38:41 PM »
That's interesting.  Do you recall the episode name?

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 10:50:45 AM »
No, I came in late. The story line was about a young kid who thought the banker had caused the death of his father to get his land. The boy was on a vendetta to avenge his father.

Lucas knew the truth was that the banker had bought out the mortgage to give to the boy.

Every episode was a morality play - truth and honour always prevailing against evil. You know, just like real life.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:13:22 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:35:44 PM »
I was a fan of the show as a young child and I still enjoy watching it occasionally.  It seemed to try to strike a balance between "adult" and "child" western shows of the time, maybe trying to get a wider audience.  I have stronger favorites with other westerns, but I appreciate "The Rifleman" enough to watch them periodically.  Some episodes were very well done with great actors, writers and directors early in their careers.  The episode called "The Marshal", introducing Paul Fix as Micah Torrence was co-written and directed by Sam Peckinpah and included in the cast was James Drury, R.G. Armstrong and Warren Oates, among others.  Some of the characters seemed to be precursors of "The Wild Bunch".

I'll see if I can track that episode down.  Thanks!

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 10:45:48 PM »
It looks like season one, episode 39, "Boomerang". 

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

44 centerfire

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 06:29:40 AM »
Looks like you scroll over to 9:30 on the you tube video to find McCain screwing a screw in on the lever......hahahaha

44 centerfire

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 06:37:58 PM »
More likely backing it out so it wouldn't trip the trigger on operating the lever.

Offline Isom

• Deputy Marshal
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 10:44:57 AM »
It's funny the things you look at for years but never "see". Just found out a few years ago like : Chuck Conners was a lefty,, James Arness limped from a WWII wound ,,,D-Day I think,,, BB King couldn't play and sing at the same time,,, his statement. I won't even go into songs from the 50-60's that I'm going ,,, " oh,,, that's what they're saying ". My world is just crashing ! :) But I know I'm not the only one.  :D
Isom

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 10:51:38 AM »
For a lefty, he does one hell of a job operating a '92 as a right hander.

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 08:33:44 AM »
He was ambidextrous, that's why.
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 10:41:44 AM »
I understand they had to install a spring loaded plunger above the breech face to keep loaded cartridges from falling out when spin cocking the rifle. The same with Steve McQueen's cut down '92. Can anyone confirm?
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 06:34:39 PM »

:)  Hummmmmmmm   ;)

First I've hear of it.  I do recollect, Chuck Connors used several different '92s.  The most famous of which had a special screw thru the finger lever to trip the trigger as the lever closed.

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 08:54:39 AM »
 ;D I believe there was an article in Guns and Ammo MANY years ago showing the modifications of the movie guns. My arms are not long enough to test the theory.
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 09:29:35 AM »

:) Mine Neither  ;)

I have no great burning desire to lose a goodly chunk of my Right Ear.  I'll Pass too.

Stay Safe

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 06:50:24 AM »
I don't recall if Lucas ever spin cocked then fired it in an un-edited film sequence. I'm thinking it may have been unloaded for spin cocking. It would be easy enough to stitch together camer angle shots to look like he spun cocked then fired. But quite often he spin cocked after a firing sequence when it was likely empty.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 08:26:40 AM »
It's funny the things you look at for years but never "see". Just found out a few years ago like : Chuck Conners was a lefty,, James Arness limped from a WWII wound ,,,D-Day I think,,, BB King couldn't play and sing at the same time,,, his statement. I won't even go into songs from the 50-60's that I'm going ,,, " oh,,, that's what they're saying ". My world is just crashing ! :) But I know I'm not the only one.  :D
Isom

He was wounded at the Anzio beach landing

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 05:31:13 PM »
I understand they had to install a spring loaded plunger above the breech face to keep loaded cartridges from falling out when spin cocking the rifle. The same with Steve McQueen's cut down '92. Can anyone confirm?

Not necessary! unless a 92 has had the cartridge guides messed with somehow you can spin cock it stock standard. the cartridge cant "fall out" as you rotate it - can do this trick with a standard lever too ! .......signs of a misspent youth!!! ....the rifleman was the first show I watched on TV ..................

We did the lever latch thing - spin cocking - even shot a penny on the wing - rifle at port arms, chamber empty, throw the penny with your trigger hand, load and fire, started on bean cans, then 2x2 wood blocks, finally the penny - still have the one I hit in my trophy cabinet (our English penny is a lot bigger than yours - doubt I could see an airborne penny these days much less hit it)  .....The ammo we wasted .............the fun we had  ;D 

sometimes still when I pick up a lever gun some of that old stuff comes back - muscle memory or something I guess     

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 09:04:15 AM »
I could never get into The Rifleman. Seems like he was always sticking his nose into other peoples business. Always bugged me.
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 01:34:48 PM »
I liked the show have seen every one  , but did notice the same Lucas was a bit full of himself , heck he killed someone almost every episode .  Lucas would either kill you or straighten your life out for you . But they needed killin or straightening  I expect ! ,,,DT

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 04:07:24 PM »
Just saw that same episode last week :)
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com