Author Topic: How to remove forearm?  (Read 715 times)

Offline BillKilgore

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
How to remove forearm?
« on: November 02, 2021, 10:52:54 AM »
I need help, please. I want to replace the stock and forearm on my vintage 1876 because both are cracked. I am stuck removing the forearm and need advice.

The forearm is shaped to closely fit the round magazine tube and the octagon barrel. I am not able to slide it over the forearm tenon and I am not able to remove the tenon. I thought perhaps the magazine tube could slide forward to allow the forearm to drop free of the barrel. I have used this approach to disassemble a model 94. I have removed the magazine ring pin, but I cannot get the magazine tube to budge and the magazine ring will not slide sideways to clear the dovetail in the bottom of the barrel.

Does anybody have advice? I don't want to further damage the forearm or the rifle.

Thanks.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: How to remove forearm?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 03:41:52 PM »
 The magazine ring " Does not slide out " it " twist out " . w/ the pin removed , no need to remove the mag. ring , just slide the mag. tube out. But, w/ the mag. tube out of the way the tenon needs to be taped out from left to right ( use a punch ) they aren't usually very tight ,, then the forearm will slide forward .

What are you going to replace the stock & forearm with , just wondering , i just made 2 , that are close to finished ,( just in case of a mishap ).

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline BillKilgore

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 07:17:23 AM »
Thanks, Slamfire. I finally got the mag tube out. I bought a replacement stock and forearm from Dixie Gun Works. The forearm arrived and looks pretty good. It only took a little sanding to get a good fit. The stock should arrive tomorrow.

One of these days when I have more time, I would like to make a set out of very nice black walnut. I would like to see the set you made.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:29:34 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com